Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tom Jessop  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2014 00:10:40(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
This weekend the restoration of Beyer Garratt 6029 was finished with the first live steam run of the engine in Canberra [Australia's Capital ] . 30 yers of hard sweat has delivered the engine to full running order available for main line running on all standard guage track in Australia .

Below is a link to the TV news item from last night's National News .

http://www.abc.net.au/ne...isphere-restored/5625328

Cheers Tom in Oz.

Edited by user 06 September 2014 05:11:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2014 00:20:59(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Perfect news.ThumpUp
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2014 00:44:26(UTC)
Webmaster

Like with all endangered species, it is great see them alive and breathing again with some loving care - hopefully for a long time in the future too... ThumpUp
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2014 04:21:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Tom, thanks for this, as usual we don't get the news about these type of events in WA, I just noticed on facebook and I was surprised to read it was in Canberra.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2014 10:27:30(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent news, thanks for the link.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 28 July 2014 01:25:32(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi all,

Very powerful engines.
I took this photo of sister engine 6030 when I was a young man, in 1965.
It is heading east with a wheat hopper train.
Its daily duties often had it hauling small 4 wheel hoppers full of coal to the port of Waratah (Newcastle) in New South Wales.
The photo was taken at Beresfield, an outer western suburb.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 31 July 2014 07:16:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kimballthurlow attached the following image(s):
6030.jpg
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 28 July 2014 02:24:25(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Did you also see that if you donate $500 or more, you get a cab ride in the loco? ThumpUp
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Tom Jessop  
#8 Posted : 28 July 2014 03:01:15(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
That pic shows a wheat train with 4 wheel /2 axel covered hoppers , actually headed East with a loaded train , the building in the background is known as Steggles poultry feed mill which had a 3 road unloading bay with loop on their property . I pass this site every day while driving XRN loco's for Xstrata coal .

Another possibly restorable Garratt is sitting in a field at the now closed Lachlan Vintage Village at Forbes NSW & can be seen on Google Earth. The owner has the largest collection of NSW locomotives /rolling stock anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere situated at Dorrigo NSW & cannot /will not allow any one to view or work on any item ,not even his volunteer members of the society that he is president /chairman / secretary & treasurer of . This collection will turn into one very large scrap heap given time as the rainfall in that area is extremely high every year ..

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 28 July 2014 03:33:29(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yikes Scared It may be too late.. See http://www.panoramio.com/photo/107627215?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

The google link to the site is:

Latitude: 33°23'54.32"S

Longitude: 148° 0'6.28"E

Or maybe this will work: https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.3978,148.00195,950m/data=!3m1!1e3
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Tom Jessop  
#10 Posted : 28 July 2014 05:15:57(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
Don't worry its still there & will be there for a long time yet . Check out Railpage & then do a internal search for 6042 . This engine was the last Garratt in service & did a round circle trip ex Sydney, Bathurst, Blayney, Harden, Goulburn Sydney over 1 long weekend in winter .

Tom in Oz
Offline Bryan  
#11 Posted : 28 July 2014 06:19:39(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi All

I friend of mine used to work in a signal box in the Newcastle area. When these 60 class locos were being scrapped he salvaged the cab numbers from 6027. The numbers still today have the soot on them. There is also a tenders build plate (Clyde engineering) from a D50 goods loco. He gave them all to me and will one day mount them on a display board.

Cheers
Bryan
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline Tom Jessop  
#12 Posted : 28 July 2014 08:11:22(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Will raise you on the Builders plate & engine no's . I obtained 2 master controllers from 2 46 class elec locos with all the associated switch gear when they were being scrapped before they went to the scrapper , it was a job and a half to get them out ,took 4 blokes to lift up out of the cab then carry down stairs to the ground while the engines were in the shed at 0200 hrs . Also the full original offset n number plates of 4622 which was involved in the first Glenbrook collision in the mid 70's , these were still on the loco in 97 when they were removed, another midnite spares job , also a NSW coat of arms which may have been the last still on a loco in service . Numerous other artifacts of small significance over the years which I thought I had better save before they ended up in a so called antiques shop of dubious reputation . Theres not much left out there of any worth unless it has been buried for many years but I still keep looking & show the young guys who are learning to drive trains where they can still see old formations ,bridges & tunnels which are not close to the present tracks. Where I take trains to unload is the biggest export coal terminal in the world & there is still evidence of the old yards & storage areas from the pre 60's , the youngun's cannot believe there were so many 4 wheel wagons carting coal in such a small area of the Hunter valley of Australia all being steam hauled .

Tom in Oz
Offline Bryan  
#13 Posted : 28 July 2014 09:24:23(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi All
The Newcastle NSW area has always been one of the best for railways generally. It had the last steam operated coal railway (South Maitland Railway) working up until 1986. The AD60 class which we are talking about was based at Port Waratah, and an AD60 was the last NSW main line steam loco in service in 1972. From my experience model trains seem to be more popular in the Newcastle area than anywhere else in Australia. This in my opinion, is due to so many railways both private and government, extracting coal out of the region. Many of the lines are now abandoned, very interesting to explore.
Cheers
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 28 July 2014 11:45:09(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post
That pic shows a wheat train with 4 wheel /2 axel covered hoppers , actually headed East with a loaded train , the building in the background is known as Steggles poultry feed mill which had a 3 road unloading bay with loop on their property . I pass this site every day while driving XRN loco's for Xstrata coal .
Cheers Tom in Oz

Hi Tom,
Thank you so much for clearing up the geography of that photo for me.

Steggles was at the end of Hawthorn Street, which had extensive housing, so the bushland slope behind the engine had me puzzled.

I will notate my old photo album with the corrected information.

I also have a photo of a 60 class at Waratah Junction, but cannot find it at the moment.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline PJMärklin  
#15 Posted : 28 July 2014 13:21:16(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

This weekend the restoration of Beyer Garratt 6029 was finished with the first live steam run of the engine in Canberra [Australia's Capital ] . 30 yers of hard sweat has delivered the engine to full running order available for main line running on all standard guage track in Australia .

Below is a link to the TV news item from last night's National News .

http://www.abc.net.au/ne...isphere-restored/5625328

Cheers Tom in Oz.

Hello Tom,

I saw this on the ABC news last night - how exciting!

My wife was sitting alongside me at the time. She is usually supportive of my modeltrain habit (has done so for 31 years and did so for 4 weeks recently in Europe June/July) but when I started to explain the interesting attributes of a GARRATT type locomotive, well the shutters dropped down.

In years past they had a number of smaller Garratts on the west coast mines in Tasmania. The area is very mountainous and the lines had very small radii curves, so the Garrett type was ideal to pull the ore to the ports on the north-west coast of Tasmania.
See http://www.australiansteam.com/K1.htm

The first ever Garratt locomotive to be built (K1) was commissioned by the Tasmanian Government for this purpose; see : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garratt ; and also : http://ashet.org.au/garratt/
This first Garrett is actually still preserved but on the other side of the world in Wales , see : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGR_K_class

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Dangermouse  
#16 Posted : 31 July 2014 01:36:55(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   

I still keep looking & show the young guys who are learning to drive trains where they can still see old formations ,bridges & tunnels which are not close to the present tracks. Where I take trains to unload is the biggest export coal terminal in the world & there is still evidence of the old yards & storage areas from the pre 60's , the youngun's cannot believe there were so many 4 wheel wagons carting coal in such a small area of the Hunter valley of Australia all being steam hauled .

Tom in Oz

It's the same here in Wales. I've traced loads of old lines which were lifted in the 1960s via aerial photos, and you can see plenty of leftover earthworks on the ground too. You can actually drive on quite a few sections as they were turned into roads after the track was removed, having gentler curves and gradients than the old back roads which ran near them. Several places saw the old railway alignment turned into a bypass, one near me (Llanidloes) has the road running in a cutting where the track would have been, with the restored station building (now offices) high up on one side.

The first Garratt is in regular service on the Welsh Highland Railway, alongside some later variants of the breed. The line connects to the Ffestiniog Railway, which is famous as the home of the Double Farlies. Two approaches to articulated steam locos can be seen in the same station!

The Ffestiniog stock can run on the WHR (same track gauge) but the WHR stock is built to a larger loading gauge, so can't run on the Ffestiniog.

You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline xxup  
#17 Posted : 31 July 2014 02:28:49(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Dangermouse Go to Quoted Post
...I've traced loads of old lines which were lifted in the 1960s via aerial photos, and you can see plenty of leftover earthworks on the ground too. You can actually drive on quite a few sections as they were turned into roads after the track was removed, having gentler curves and gradients than the old back roads which ran near them. Several places saw the old railway alignment turned into a bypass, one near me (Llanidloes) has the road running in a cutting where the track would have been, with the restored station building (now offices) high up on one side...

That's what they should have done in Cornwall. The roads there are awful - good condition, but the property boundaries go to the edge of the road so there is nowhere to go if your car breaks down or you need to pee! On my way to Ilchester from Salisbury, last month, a Winnebago broke down on the "highway" (yes it was an A road!) and it simply blocked the West bound highway as drivers tried to overtake it in between breaks in the oncoming traffic. It took us an hour to get to the over taking point and when we got there the bloke in the Winnebago was making a cup of tea while he waited for rescue. I know that this was not Cornwall as the road was relatively straight - there are no straight roads in Cornwall - just a series of blind corners. Scared A Winnebago breakdown in Cornwall would have no survivors!

Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline steventrain  
#18 Posted : 31 July 2014 11:19:39(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Any brand production make the 3-rail model?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
User is suspended until 21/07/4752 11:48:10(UTC) Barguest  
#19 Posted : 31 July 2014 21:53:21(UTC)
Barguest

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Any brand production make the 3-rail model?

Only see DC version here.

Garrett

Some nice history at site.
Alias for Mulldog Lemmon
Offline xxup  
#20 Posted : 31 July 2014 23:13:25(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I know that Nev spoke to a couple of local manufacturers down here about making one in three rail, but they promised the world and delivered nothing. Their model delivery track record down here even for DC, generally, is pretty poor.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline MalinAC  
#21 Posted : 01 August 2014 14:36:30(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi , Hattons in Liverpool have some nice Heljan 2-6-6-2 Beyer Garratts in ho but unfortunatly dc only. One of them is a weathered version. Take care Eddie Cool Cool Cool
Offline rmsailor  
#22 Posted : 01 August 2014 16:49:14(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi, the Hatton's Garratts, made for them by Heljan of Denmark, are actually British 00 1/76, being models of the former LMS, then British Railways machines. There is of course no chance that they will be produced in AC since that market is negligible in the UK. Indeed it it is not clear if there will be any production beyond the already announced versions. In their latest newsletter Hattons talk about taking their final delivery. So if you want one get on to Hattons quickly. This is a locomotive which has generally been praised, particularly for its haulage ability.

There is one more European Garratt on the horizon. Mabar in Spain have announced that they have under development a model of the RENFE 2-8-2+2-8-2 type. I would think it will be 2015, 2016 or later until it appears. This should be an impressive model, even if not quite as large as the Australian AD60.

We should not expect a Garratt from Marklin/Trix since there were none in their core market area apart from three tram type locomotives in Holland and Belgium.

Bob M.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline steventrain  
#23 Posted : 01 August 2014 18:04:47(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Ok Thanks everyone.

I hope marklin make Garratt in the future.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Tom Jessop  
#24 Posted : 04 August 2014 11:59:37(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
Regarding the Eureka Garratt, for memory John [River 6109 ] was going to look at converting one to 3 rail AC operation but had trouble with the obtaining one from the importer . If a NSWGR Garratt was available for 3 rail I would have my hands in my pocket real quick to purchase one to sit beside the other heavy steam loco's on my layout , but then I would also have to buy the required wagons for coal haulage .

Cheers Tom in Oz with 8 shifts to go .
Offline Tom Jessop  
#25 Posted : 15 August 2014 04:46:44(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Trial run held yesterday 14 /08/2014 from Goulburn to Canberra. Spectacular footage on You Tube.

Enjoy, Tom in Oz.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline river6109  
#26 Posted : 15 August 2014 07:59:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Regarding the Eureka Garratt, for memory John [River 6109 ] was going to look at converting one to 3 rail AC operation but had trouble with the obtaining one from the importer . If a NSWGR Garratt was available for 3 rail I would have my hands in my pocket real quick to purchase one to sit beside the other heavy steam loco's on my layout , but then I would also have to buy the required wagons for coal haulage .

Cheers Tom in Oz with 8 shifts to go .

Tom, yes I was waiting and waiting and in the end after many phone calls I decided to pull the plug, it took quite awhile to get the deposit back so I wasn't completely satisfied with the service they've offered but I believe they had some trouble with the production or sound or both and this may took the distributor either to confirm or refund the money in a more quicker way, apparently converting it to 3 rail wasn't a big job and could have been achieved.

in hindsight one always regrets the action I took but you never can replace it with the real one especially the video which was provided by you but having a giant like this on a your layout would have been something spectacular.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline PJMärklin  
#27 Posted : 15 August 2014 09:27:21(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Trial run held yesterday 14 /08/2014 from Goulburn to Canberra. Spectacular footage on You Tube.

Enjoy, Tom in Oz.

Thanks for the great video Tom, what a wonderful locomotive !

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#28 Posted : 15 August 2014 11:57:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Enjoy, Tom in Oz.

Great video of it. Pity the microphone wasn't more directional in the first bit, and all you get is the traffic noise from the bridge they are filming from. But once out in the country, listening on head phones at full chat it sounds real great.

I had to laugh to myself, at about the 7:20 mark there is a woman says something like 'that isn't a real steam train, is it?' as it is approaching the camera.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Tom Jessop  
#29 Posted : 06 September 2014 05:15:42(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Load trial of 565 ton including the diesels behind the Garratt included in the load.

Plenty of 1 in 40 grades & sharp curves to contend with , No reports of any major problems to be rectified .

Sit back , turn the sound up & enjoy.

Cheers Tom in Oz.

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline PJMärklin  
#30 Posted : 06 September 2014 10:57:50(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Load trial of 565 ton including the diesels behind the Garratt included in the load.

Plenty of 1 in 40 grades & sharp curves to contend with , No reports of any major problems to be rectified .

Sit back , turn the sound up & enjoy.

Cheers Tom in Oz.

Thanks for the video Tom,
I enjoyed it very much.

Regards,

PJ
Offline GlennM  
#31 Posted : 06 September 2014 12:50:20(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Of course these amazing locos were built in Manchester ThumpUp ThumpUp
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline steventrain  
#32 Posted : 06 September 2014 13:09:39(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent, Thanks for the video.ThumpUp
Offline Tom Jessop  
#33 Posted : 01 August 2015 00:31:29(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
Another video of 6029 on a private hire trip from Canberra to Goulburn . Lovely to watch , poetry in motion . Thanks again to Bevan Wall .

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Shamu  
#34 Posted : 01 August 2015 03:42:46(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Thanks Tom.

A truly magnificent class of loco and great to see one mobile under its own steam again.

Brings back a lot of memory's of them double heading huge coal trains in central QLD back in the early 60's. Curious about the genny car (power car) Confused
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Tom Jessop  
#35 Posted : 01 August 2015 06:49:20(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Hi Shane & all ,

Going from rear to front

1 Power car which would have been used on the Southern Aurora sets when that train was loco hauled , comprises 3 diesel generator sets used for lighting & A/c , guards compartment & a small luggage compartment

2 Passenger car from Aurora set

both of these were added at Goulburn & were to be used for a private group outing today from what I can find out .

3 Flat wagon fitted for container use . Yellow container is fitted with a Gen set for A/c supply on 2 blue carriages . No idea on whats in green container .

4 & 5 Passenger carriages with major internal re fitment to owners specs including sleeping accommodation ,food storage & prep for meals.

6 Flat wagon fitted for container use , I believe this container carries a small motor vehicle for incidental use while travelling , there is also loading ramps available .

Wagons 3 to 6 are privately owned by a gentleman who has considerable means & uses the 4 cars to travel around Australia with some of his friends who are also rail buff's . With prior arrangement with rail Authorities & the hire of trackage rights along with engine & train crew he has travelled most of the standard gauge network . The reason for the container wagons being marshalled at either end of the passenger cars is to allow better photo opportunities to either end of the train especially with the containers at the extremities .

7 ex fuel wagon tanker now used for additional water for loco purposes

8 6029

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline PJMärklin  
#36 Posted : 01 August 2015 07:15:00(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Another video of 6029 on a private hire trip from Canberra to Goulburn . Lovely to watch , poetry in motion . Thanks again to Bevan Wall .

Cheers Tom in Oz

Hello Tom,

Great stuff !!
Thanks for your post - a fantastic video.

I do like Garratts.
To my limited knowledge Märklin have not ever produced a model of one. Can anyone enlighten me ?

Regards,

PJ
Offline Tom Jessop  
#37 Posted : 01 August 2015 08:14:54(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Hi PJ , "M" has not made a Garratt in any gauge . Fulgurex made one for 1 gauge & even went to live steam for it but when the FD & myself met the owner of Fulgurex in 1998 & had a personal tour of his chateau in Lausanne he mentioned that the Garratt was probably the hardest model to produce as they had had major problems with the flexible steam pipe joins & getting them to seal under pressure . I believe that one of the Fulgurex models is now in the museum at Mendrisio . I am not sure but from what I saw of the collection in Lausanne & what we saw in Mendrisio 10 years later after the death of the Fulgurex owner I would say that his collection is now on display in Mendrisio .

Cheers Tom in Oz
Offline NS1200  
#38 Posted : 01 August 2015 11:44:55(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Marklin did not make them sofar.

This is what i found,looks like an Aussie producer:

http://eurekamodels.com.au/garratt.html

Perhaps they produce versions for AC also?
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline kimballthurlow  
#39 Posted : 01 August 2015 11:54:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks Tom for posting.

The second last scene around the curve from right to left, is a classic.
The super-elevation on curves really stands out on those tele shots.

regards
Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Tom Jessop  
#40 Posted : 01 August 2015 11:54:34(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

See post 24 & 26 above regarding the Eureka model ,only 2 rail produced .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline GlennM  
#41 Posted : 01 August 2015 19:35:33(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
UserPostedImage

A Rhodesian Railways Beyer Garratt taking on water, IIRC outside Bulawayo 1975

BigGrin
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by GlennM