Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gcanton  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2014 12:49:15(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
Hello,

After waiting years for a 5739 rail maintenance car (Rottenkraftwagon) and trailer at a price I was prepared to pay for one to run on my garden railway the meaning of the note on the Technical Resource Centre became clear

"The 5739 self-propelled crane car (on the alternating current version - not the 5740 direct current version) comes from the factory with an electronic circuit which can be controlled with Märklin Digital after it has been coded with solder bridges. This coding procedure should be carried out by a Märklin dealer. It should also be pointed out that this model can no longer be operated conventionally with alternating current after it has been coded."

The cab comes off with 2 screws and the decoder is there with visible solder pads. I am confident with a soldering iron so making the bridges is not a problem, just knowing how is. I know if the knowledge is lost along with how to marinate a mammoth I can put a modern decoder in but as this is a Motorola one I'm assuming the performance will be reasonable and it is nice to keep old tech going if it still works. If it is no better than Delta/Maxi it will go. Currently it has no bridges and I suspect has never been run. It has all the manuals but they advise it is lubricated for life and to convert it go to the dealer.

A piece of good news for us that ESU have produced a magnet for the old Gauge One AC motors now. Has anybody tried it? I have 3 old AC motors I have put diodes on the field magnet to run with ESU decoders but this would be better.

Graham
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2014 13:02:54(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Graham,

Maybe the tables on this page help:
http://www.web-hgh.de/in...gh.de/p03_maedel_dec.htm

Regards

Markus
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2014 13:27:25(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: gcanton Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

A piece of good news for us that ESU have produced a magnet for the old Gauge One AC motors now. Has anybody tried it? I have 3 old AC motors I have put diodes on the field magnet to run with ESU decoders but this would be better.

Graham

If you mean the 51965 permanent magnet, then no. This is some sick joke ESU has been playing for a few years now. I waited for it, then finally gave up. They are not at eBay.de, I just checked.

http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...ories/permanent-magnets/

So I did this:
https://www.marklin-user...vailable.aspx#post401606

Your only option if you want to run it with a DC motor.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline gcanton  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2014 15:33:40(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Graham,

Maybe the tables on this page help:
http://www.web-hgh.de/in...gh.de/p03_maedel_dec.htm

Regards

Markus

Thank-you for such a quick reply. It is working now but the decoder makes the motor noisy like a Maxi decoder so an upgrade will need to happen.

Graham