Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RayF  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2014 23:46:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi all,

I got back today from a holiday on the Rhine and tried out my brand new 37358 I had bought in a shop in Cologne. These are my experiences:

I placed the loco on the track and the mfx logo started flashing as usual on my MS2. The registration process took much longer than usual, about 2 - 3 minutes, but the loco did register.

When I looked at the entry on the MS2, instead of the loco name it displayed "Lok 6", and all the function symbols were shown as light functions. The loco did run and all the functions worked, even though the symbols were wrong.

I decided to delete the loco and start again. This time the mfx logo stayed flashing and the registration process did not complete. I was not able to run the loco.

I attempted to start the process a third time, but now the mfx logo does not appear at all.

I tried operating the loco in analog, and it works correctly, with the lights working and reversing with direction.

I tried registering again on the MS2 and no mfx logo was diplayed.

I tried adding the loco manually on the MS2, but the loco does not respond on either address 1 or address 6.

The loco was tested in the shop in my presence using a 6021, and it worked perfectly. Tomorrow I intend to dig out my 6021 and try it.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to try anything within my power. I only have one MS2, and it has not been upgraded since I got it a couple of years ago. I have no means to upgrade it.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2014 00:01:25(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Ray,

I don't have any mfx+ locomotives myself, but I suggest you to get your MS2 updated with the latest SW version. I would do that if I had this problem.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2014 00:04:30(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks Janne. I don't know of any way to update it short of sending it back to Märklin.
Ray
Offline Janne75  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2014 00:48:42(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Ray,

Do you have any dealer, a friend or fellow model railroader having an updated CS2 available? Then your MS2 is easy to get updated ThumpUp . If not, then it is not... Crying

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 14 July 2014 08:41:11(UTC)
H0

Hi!

With MS2 version 1.82 they fixed a bug that prevents mfx+ locos from registering properly AFAIK.
With version 1.83 they fixed a bug they introduced with version 1.82 AFAIK.

If your MS2 has a version before 1.83 than you should upgrade your MS2. As a workaround maybe you can change the function symbols manually and store the results on a loco card to avoid the automatic mfx registration until you can upgrade your MS2.
If you already have version 1.83 or later then maybe there is a different problem.

Quote:
As I am primarily a collector of Marklin I have voted for mfx, as this is the protocol which works best with Marklin locos as they come from the factory. The convenience of having them self register on my MS2 makes it much easier than non-self registering protocols[...]
Compulsory self-registration is IMHO the biggest design flaw of mfx. You cannot disable mfx on a per loco basis and without self-registration the loco will not run with an mfx-enabled controller.

Next time you visit someone with a current CS2 or current MS2, take your MS2 with you (Märklin recommend taking your MS2 to the dealer once or twice a year).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 14 July 2014 10:18:50(UTC)
Goofy

Bring also with the box...
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 14 July 2014 11:31:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

With MS2 version 1.82 they fixed a bug that prevents mfx+ locos from registering properly AFAIK.
With version 1.83 they fixed a bug they introduced with version 1.82 AFAIK.

If your MS2 has a version before 1.83 than you should upgrade your MS2. As a workaround maybe you can change the function symbols manually and store the results on a loco card to avoid the automatic mfx registration until you can upgrade your MS2.
If you already have version 1.83 or later then maybe there is a different problem.

Quote:
As I am primarily a collector of Marklin I have voted for mfx, as this is the protocol which works best with Marklin locos as they come from the factory. The convenience of having them self register on my MS2 makes it much easier than non-self registering protocols[...]
Compulsory self-registration is IMHO the biggest design flaw of mfx. You cannot disable mfx on a per loco basis and without self-registration the loco will not run with an mfx-enabled controller.

Next time you visit someone with a current CS2 or current MS2, take your MS2 with you (Märklin recommend taking your MS2 to the dealer once or twice a year).

Thanks Tom. I will possibly not visit a dealer until January at the earliest. I don't know of anyone within 100 km of me who I can visit.

I have been thinking of obtaining another MS2 as a spare. Perhaps I can get one with the latest software and this will get me an update? I can then update my old one from the new one.

At the moment the loco won't even show me a flashing "mfx" symbol. Should I try resetting the MS2 to default values?
Ray
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2014 11:34:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Bring also with the box...

Hi Anders,

I don't have a box for my MS2, as it came from a starter set. Why is it important to have a box?

Thanks!
Ray
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 14 July 2014 11:41:08(UTC)
Goofy

Just in case...
You can send yours MS2 and the box via postage to someone,to help you to upgrade version.
I suppose it take about two weeks to done this.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 14 July 2014 13:15:12(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Just in case...
You can send yours MS2 and the box via postage to someone,to help you to upgrade version.
I suppose it take about two weeks to done this.

Oh, I see. Thanks.
Ray
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 14 July 2014 13:56:19(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Is there any memory in the connection box between the MS2 and the track? Or does all memory reside in the MS2?
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#12 Posted : 14 July 2014 14:00:46(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
To send the Track Box isn't necessary, because the Track Box will be updated automatically from the updated MS2. The updated MS2 will update the Track Box firmware automatically or you can push the update by selecting in MS2 the menu enty "Update Track Box".

There is no other way to update the Track Box, because You can't connect the Track Box to anything else then to the MS2.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 14 July 2014 14:36:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I have been thinking of obtaining another MS2 as a spare. Perhaps I can get one with the latest software and this will get me an update? I can then update my old one from the new one.
Just make sure it has at least 1.83.
Version number leaped to 2.30 recently, but so far I haven't heard of any "must have" changes. About a week ago came an update for the loco database (for non-mfx locos).

2 MS2s can be used in a master/slave configuration. If you have just one there is no need to keep the new MS2 as a spare.

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
At the moment the loco won't even show me a flashing "mfx" symbol. Should I try resetting the MS2 to default values?
If "detect loco" with only the new loco on the track has no effect, then resetting the MS2 could help. AFAIK you reset it periodically anyway.

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Is there any memory in the connection box between the MS2 and the track? Or does all memory reside in the MS2?
The track box surely has non-volatile memory (flash EPROM with the firmware) and volatile memory (RAM to do it's work).
But the loco list should be stored in the master MS2.
I assume if you pull out the power supply and slowly count to 10 that then the track box will have forgotten everything but the firmware.

That's the first thing I do when an MS2 behaves strangely: unplug the power and count to 10.

mfx locos store the ID of the controller they registered with. I would assume this is the ID of the master MS2.
Maybe I'll give it a try with 2 MS2s and 2 track boxes.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 14 July 2014 17:59:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
OK, I have got my loco running again.

I reset the MS2, and the mfx logo started flashing again. Eventually it registered as "Lok 5" I then edited the name and the function symbols and stored it on a Lok-card.

For now the loco seems to be working OK with all functions operating.

Thanks to you all for your help. I'll think about my options for a software update now that there's no urgency.

Ray