Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline petestra  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2014 21:07:40(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Friends, I was wondering. As some of you might know I am recently (since last Oct.) switched to digital operations, using 2x MS2s. I also can switch over

to analogue ops. Here's the ?. I have some and are getting more digital Loks with sounds. Is there a way to connect a resistor to these signals so that

the Loks lights/sounds will not go off at a red light? Where is the resistor placed? I operate signals using control boxes, not digitally. If these resistors work, how will they effect

analogue ops? Thanks for your help. Peter Smile
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2014 21:18:17(UTC)
Webmaster

Don't think this is feasable...

In the "old" digital days it was recommended to have a 1,5 kOhm resistor from the layout power
to the isolated section so the decoders would not lose memory. However this is not enough to keep
decoder functions working with modern decoders as I understand.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2014 21:30:49(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Thanks so much for the info, Juhan. It's not a big deal. As you know, I like my signals. cheers, Peter Smile
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2014 08:26:40(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Is there a way to connect a resistor to these signals so that the Loks lights/sounds will not go off at a red light?
For decoders that support ABC braking (e.g. ESU LokSound 4) you can use diodes to achieve that.

It's a general problem with new decoder features that many older locos do not support it.

The Märklin braking modules have not much more than a diode. This is an older technique that will work with more decoders, but requires more parts. Also check Bogobit braking modules and others that implement the same technique.

Just a resistor will not work.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Johnvr  
#5 Posted : 14 July 2014 20:36:21(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Peter,

I have the ideal solution for you Cool Cool

You can use your 7039 Marklin signals operated by 7072 switch boxes and connected to a Braking Module.
A Braking Module allows the trains to slow down and stop at the end of the platform, with brakes squealing away merrily.
The smoke and sound functions remain on while the train waits at the station.
When the signal goes green again, then the train accelerates slowly away, choof .. choof .. choof .. it sounds so nice !

Have a look at my video attached :

http://youtu.be/bMvqutoz1LU

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr