Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2014 16:39:33(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I was today in Porvoo with my two sons (6 and 3 years old). We went there to watch this beautiful Museum steam locomotive Tk3. Steamrail has it for the last year in Porvoo as the Museum train operations are unfortunately ending this summer in Porvoo. So I decided to take some photos and videos from this beauty Love to enjoy it later again and again... Cool

First some videos:

http://youtu.be/jY7Qevn2uL4

http://youtu.be/crmT6KJdhqs

http://youtu.be/6IiLNsV9R-Q

http://youtu.be/SV0-TiTtD8I

http://youtu.be/dABzNLcBOlA

http://youtu.be/WUbMU-7_uQ4

http://youtu.be/-oIapziZ4EI

And here some photos:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

RollEyes

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline jerdenberg  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2014 15:29:02(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Nice pictures, and a pity that this ends.

Thanks for posting!
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2014 00:45:42(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I was today in Porvoo with my two sons ......

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Janne

Hi Janne,
There is that third cylinder again.
I wonder what it is.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Janne75  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2014 01:00:13(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Kimball,

I'm a total newbie regarding prototypes and how they work. This Tk3 is the very same locomotive model than the 1:10 scale very detailed steam locomotive model from the Finnish Railway Museum in my other topic. Like you can all see that 1:10 model is very well done when comparing it to this prototype. Maybe some other members can give more info as I am also interested in knowing the reason for this one...

I will try to search some info now myself RollEyes .

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 14 July 2014 01:08:19(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi again,

I found with a quick search this:

VR Tk3 Steam Locomotive

There reads it has only two cylinders but the information might be wrong?

Janne
Offline Andrey  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2014 07:30:53(UTC)
Andrey

Russian Federation   
Hi Janne,

nice pics and videos, thanks for sharing! ThumpUp
I've been at Porvoo countless times, but never seen that beauty outside she's shed. She operates just couple of times in summer, I didn't manage to catch her and was very disappointed... Sad
If I understood correctly, is it the last season when she operates? Why?

As for the third cylinder... 3-cylinder locomotive layout is not something unusual, see for instance BR 85 or BR 18.3, 3-rd cylinder's piston is clearly visible under the boiler.
However, I don't see any signs of the 3-rd cylinder on Tk3.

Cheers, Andrey Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Andrey
Offline Janne75  
#7 Posted : 07 August 2014 08:05:17(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Andrey Go to Quoted Post
Hi Janne,

I've been at Porvoo countless times, but never seen that beauty outside she's shed. She operates just couple of times in summer, I didn't manage to catch her and was very disappointed... Sad

As for the third cylinder... 3-cylinder locomotive layout is not something unusual, see for instance BR 85 or BR 18.3, 3-rd cylinder's piston is clearly visible under the boiler.

Cheers, Andrey Smile

Hi Andrey,

This Tk3 was running for the very last time at Porvoo on 2th August and we were watching it there again. They will move it to some other place in Finland, but maybe there will be some other steam locomotive runninng in the future there. "Lättähattu" diesel rail bus is going to run in the future like before. I got information last weekend about those 140 years old tracks. These are owned by VR (Finnish railroads) and Porvoo can not take them away ThumpUp . Lets see how it goes in the future, but the future seems to be brighter than what it looked some time ago. I thought that all the tracks are coming off and Porvoo will build something else there.

Cheers,
Janne Smile
Offline Andrey  
#8 Posted : 07 August 2014 09:01:09(UTC)
Andrey

Russian Federation   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
They will move it to some other place in Finland, but maybe there will be some other steam locomotive runninng in the future there. "Lättähattu" diesel rail bus is going to run in the future like before. I got information last weekend about those 140 years old tracks. These are owned by VR (Finnish railroads) and Porvoo can not take them away ThumpUp . Lets see how it goes in the future, but the future seems to be brighter than what it looked some time ago.

Very interesting info, Janne! ThumpUp
I guess that diesel rail bus is better than nothing. Good news is that railway line will remain.
I can imagine some problems with commercial payback since the line is operated so seldom.
As for the steamer Tk3, I presume the problem might be in the boiler resource or something like that. It is rather limited, especially when steamer is old. In our country many famous steamers used for historical trains were withdrawn for that reason.
Hope Tk3 will find a new job or at least eternal stay at the museum, as she deserves.

Cheers, Andrey Smile

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Andrey
Offline Janne75  
#9 Posted : 07 August 2014 14:24:22(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
There is no problem with the Tk3 and I think it will continue to run on different place. There are only some problems with something else. Actually Tk3 has been running almost every Saturday and the rail bus "Lättähattu" even more often. It will be still running this year on 6.8., 30.8. and 20.9.

We were visiting on last weekend in the armour museum in Parola Hämeenlinna. There is also a Tk3 on the rails but in bad condition. It has some kind of military wagons behind itself. It was a surprise for me there is that one. This museum is worth to visit when you are coming to Finland.

Cheers,
Janne
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 08 August 2014 00:43:40(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Andrey Go to Quoted Post
Hi Janne,

Cheers, Andrey Smile

Hi Andrey,

The third "cylinder" is the tank on the outside of the main cylinder. It is encased by the sheathing around the valve cylinder.
It does not have a piston in it, it is probably an airbrake tank or something.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow