Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline muddmover  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2014 01:21:19(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Hello, I currently have the JMRI demo app set up to work with my central station over ethernet. I am able to turn power on and off, and control turnouts. However, I am completely at a loss on how to control my locomotives from the application (p.s. I'm on a mac). I have tried looking at the locomotive creator but it makes no sense, and I also don't know what decoders my trains have, apart from if they are DCC or MFX. Does anyone have any suggestions?

*Update*

I was playing around with the JMRI throttle window about twenty minutes ago, and just now all the stuff I was try to do happened, but delayed by twenty minutes. It freaked me out because it was like a ghost was controlling the train. Random functions would turn on and stuff like that. Is JMRI working, but just delayed, and if so, how to I speed it up? this is really confusing and disappointing. I have no idea what to do. Any help is appreciated.
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2014 02:28:30(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Mudd,all,

See:http://jmri.sourceforge.net/

Also there is a Yahoo group for JMRI.

Dr D
Offline muddmover  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2014 19:39:48(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
So I've just spent the past several weeks trying to search through the JMRI site, as well as the yahoo user group, and have found nothing of any help at all. I would really appreciate it if someone could just answer my question here, as I have spent weeks looking for it, and nobody has been of any help. This is really disaponting, and frustrating. Cursing
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2014 20:23:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: muddmover Go to Quoted Post
So I've just spent the past several weeks trying to search through the JMRI site, as well as the yahoo user group, and have found nothing of any help at all. I would really appreciate it if someone could just answer my question here, as I have spent weeks looking for it, and nobody has been of any help. This is really disaponting, and frustrating. Cursing

I don't think a lot of effort has gone into the cs2 interface yet. There has been more effort put into the cs1/ECoS interface, but even that is limited as I understand it.

Part of the problem is that the documentation was released only in German for both the cs1 and cs2. I did a Google translation of the original cs1 documentation, and that AIUI has formed the basis of the working document from which the JMRI cs1/ECoS interfacing as been done. I have yet to get stuck into the equivalent document for the cs2.

The corresponding problem with the JMRI team is that AFAIK none of them are German speakers, so the available documentation is not usable by them until it is translated.
Offline waorb  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2014 21:02:13(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello Mudd.

I'd never heard of JMRI before... maybe I should give a try someday to learn/discover a new control of my trains...

But, I also have a Mac/iPad/CS2 and had installed the RocRail program to play around. I'm not trying to give an off-topic advice, but you should try that one. It's also free, and often updated.

http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php

Best wishes!

Walter

Offline muddmover  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2014 21:47:53(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should go ahead and say why I need this. Right now my partner and I have written an application which analyzes a user inputed layout, and then parses out commands to allow any number of locomotives to go from their individual point A's to point B's without any collisions. We would like these commands to be saved in a .csv or .txt file, and then read by a piece of JMRI jython code. Then, JMRI will send those commands to the cs2. Right now, however, we are just trying to get JMRI to work, using the default demo app. Using just the demo app, I can get turnouts to switch with less than a second of delay. However, as soon as I try and use a locomotive, for ex. use a function, the commands take from anywhere from 2 minutes to twenty minutes to go through. As soon as any locomotive command is sent, the rest of the commands take the same amount of time to go through. For example, I can be using turnouts just fine, then send a command to blow the whistle on a train, and then go back to using the turnouts. However, now I have sent the locomotive a command all the turnout commands get backed up behind it, and operation doesn't return to normal until the locomotive command is finished being executed. It needs to be JMRI sending these commands, however, because I do not know how to incorporate direct talk to the cs2 with my application.

Thanks everyone,