Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline arawata  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2014 11:42:36(UTC)
arawata

Australia   
Hi everyone,
I would like to replicate in HO scale a small, manually operated turntable...similar to the below photo. Any suggestions for a commercially available product that would suit or would I better off scratch-building this? I'm using analogue M-track.

[img=https://www.flickr.com/photos/arawata/14614903763/]Kingston Flyer on turntable[/img]
arawata attached the following image(s):
flyer turntable 2.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by arawata
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2014 23:52:42(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Mechanical turntables Kibri 39456 (HO scale) or Peco LK-55 (OO scale) spring to my mind.
Wink
Alsterstreek attached the following image(s):
39456.png
LK-55.png
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2014 23:58:31(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I am using the Kibri one with K track, which brings the flattop turntable tracks to same height as C track (or M track).
bw4.png
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2014 15:06:05(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the Kibri kit is composed of loose pieces. Therefore, I cut out a circular support, using 3 mm PDF. Then I glued the loose pieces to the circular support. Like that I reached the height of C track (or M track). And I have a "portable" turntable which I can place where I please. I attached feeder cables to the K track, and those cables dangle out of a center hole in the middle of the turntable. At first, I cut out segments for tracks to reach the turntable (see detail 1). However, if one cuts out to many segments, the turntable operation becomes unstable. Therefore, I used another approach for later addition of tracks: I glued two short rail pieces on top of the outer circle segment (see detail 2). The distance between the K track and C track stubs is so short, that any pick-up shoe bridges the gap without problems. If I could start over, I would only use the latter approach. Looks nicer, too.

Edited by user 08 July 2014 19:29:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

det.png
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2014 15:17:44(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Then I heard that people created a HO scale turntable by recycling the core of a CD box and a CD for pivoting locos.
Blink
cd.png
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline arawata  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2014 09:01:39(UTC)
arawata

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Then I heard that people created a HO scale turntable by recycling the core of a CD box and a CD for pivoting locos.
Blink

I like the idea of this ingenious suggestion. I may try to scratch build something with this. I will try to utilise arduino controlled servo motors for rotation. Thanks for all the info guys.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by arawata
Offline Markus Schild  
#7 Posted : 09 July 2014 11:52:43(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

If you use a stepper motor instead of a servo the project would be much easier.

A small turntable for M-track is a very interesting project. If it should be real Märklin - tin - style I would try to combine an old tin bridge (Märklin 7161) with a tin- lid of a large paint pot or something else in this shape.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Alsterstreek  
#8 Posted : 09 July 2014 13:43:46(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
More scratchbuilding ideas:

1) How to make a turntable from a CD:
http://www.carendt.com/a...e-a-turntable-from-a-cd/

2) How to make a turntable from a drainpipe:
http://www.carendt.com/a...ntable-from-a-drainpipe/

3) How to make a turntable from a Lazy Suzan:
http://www.carendt.com/a...table-from-a-lazy-suzan/

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline arawata  
#9 Posted : 24 July 2014 00:35:21(UTC)
arawata

Australia   
Just to round out this thread, I can report back that I started scratch-building a turntable based on the CD and case suggestion above. I was quite happy with the results until I got to the part of automating the rotation. I suddenly thought to myself "why am I reinventing the wheel", so I bought a 7186. Bigger than I wanted, so I may one day go back to scratch-building just what I want, but at least I am under way now with a working turntable.
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

a,
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by arawata
Offline GLI  
#10 Posted : 24 July 2014 12:17:17(UTC)
GLI

Hi Arawata

I note from your last post that you have already purchased a turntable, but are considering one day scratch building just what you want. I am assuming that you mean by this a turntable similar to the one in the photo you posted.

The turntable in the photo appears to be a product of William Sellers Incorporated of Philadelphia in the USA who made a range of turntables in a variety of sizes. The turntable in the photo appears to be either a 50' or 60' version, more likely a 60' version. A number of Sellers turntables were imported into NSW by the New South Wales Government Railways and installed around the State. We actually have a 60' Sellers turntable here in Lithgow which was donated by Railcorp and transported to Lithgow from its former location at Nowra. It is intended to install the turntable in the old turntable pit at the former Eskbank Locomotive Depot when funds are available.

If you want a turntable of this type, then you might be interested to know that Anton Bognar (I'm not certain if that is the correct spelling of his surname) actually makes a manually operated fully assembled Sellers 60' turntable in HO scale for $265-00. Anton operates a business manufacturing kits and the like for detailing NSW and Australian model railways in HO and O scale. The business operates as "Anton's Trains" and is based in Sydney. If you google "Anton's Trains", you will find his website and can see a photo of this item. It is made for 2 rail, but Anton is an old disgruntled Marklin man, and he may be able to help if you want a 3 rail version. His telephone number is on the website. He regularly attends most of the bigger model railway exhibitions in Sydney if you want to see his product range. He may be at the Newcastle exhibition on 23rd and 24th August, and will almost certainly be at the Liverpool exhibition on the long weekend in October.

Hope this information may of interest to you.

Geoff

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by GLI
Offline Yumgui  
#11 Posted : 27 July 2014 21:11:03(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post

A small turntable for M-track is a very interesting project. If it should be real Märklin - tin - style I would try to combine an old tin bridge (Märklin 7161) with a tin- lid of a large paint pot or something else in this shape.

Thanks Ak, Markus !

Or 7168 ... this has got me thinking ... ^^

Y ThumpUp
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yumgui