Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2014 05:30:28(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to say we have a new Marklinist in the hobby. A 14 year old youngster bought a late friend of mine's HUGE Marklin layout at his estate auction, and got in touch with me for some advice in getting it going. (I built the layout some 10 years ago) Its an awesome layout, and needless to say he is excited.

The one potential problem he's got on his hands is the layout was powered by an ECOS with a massive transformer and a massive booster, both of which did not come with the layout. Fortunately the layout has a small analogue/vintage section, which is ready to go for him. While he has some fun with that, the question of what to do with the main layout comes into play as a CS2 or ECOS with boosters is definitely not in budget.

My digital question to you guys is: the layout's C track has digital switch decoders mounted under the switches. If he hooks up an analogue transformer to just run trains and have some fun, will that fry the decoders when he runs trains? (or more specifically- will the voltage spike when reversing an analogue locomotive fry the decoders?)

Let me know- any guidance is appreciated. If he can leave them mounted then he can run analogue and have fun until proper digital controls can be had, but if not I'm going to advise him to yank the decoders out and hand switch, or rewire for the old 7072 control boxes...

Thanks!

SBB Era 2-5
Offline Chris6382chris  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2014 06:24:06(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
John:

Could you clarify one thing, based on your question it sounds like the decoders for the turnouts are wired directly to the track bus so the digital signal and power are coming from the track, is this correct? If it is, I would be concerned about frying the decoders. Any chance he could find a cheap 6021? I think Chan's in the city has some old starter sets in the store still. They must be over 10 years old. I bet he could get a good deal on one of those sets.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2014 08:10:23(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi Chris,

Yeah, they are the 74460 type, powered by the rail/track current. A 6021 is an idea I had as well, but the layout would need 2-3 boosters om top of the 6021 and its transformer in order to get fully up and running. I think his best bet is a few cheap analogue trafos along with a few cheap analogue locos to get moving, which can all change to digital with time and money. The only snap is these turnout decoders may need to be removed...

SBB Era 2-5
Offline Dangermouse  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2014 11:21:45(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Would a 6021 alone (with transformer) be able to restore some function to the whole layout? I know there'd be limitations on how many trains could run at once but if it got things moving while they search for a couple of boosters...

Talking of which, IIRC there's a method for using the old Delta Control 4f units as boosters for a 6021? Given that the dedicated boosters for the 6021 are now stupidly expensive 2nd hand this might be a way out.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 07 July 2014 18:15:23(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Dangermouse Go to Quoted Post
Would a 6021 alone (with transformer) be able to restore some function to the whole layout? I know there'd be limitations on how many trains could run at once but if it got things moving while they search for a couple of boosters...

Talking of which, IIRC there's a method for using the old Delta Control 4f units as boosters for a 6021? Given that the dedicated boosters for the 6021 are now stupidly expensive 2nd hand this might be a way out.

Good idea on the delta unit as a booster. The layout is 22x25 feet so one 6021/52va trafo won't cut it for more than a single main line anyways. I'll research that one a bit more. I remember it can be done, but forget how
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Yumgui  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2014 20:31:29(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
JP,

Maybe this Analog to Digital process can be reversed, for a time ? :

https://www.marklin-user...l-system.aspx#post378240

Dunno ... maybe something there ...

Y ThumpUp

PS: Great to see your efforts in getting the young embarked on this long odyssey !
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 07 July 2014 20:40:08(UTC)
Webmaster

Maybe an MS2 is within the budget? Loc + turnout control... Not much power, but maybe just to get started?
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 07 July 2014 21:59:16(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
In the end I made the following suggestion to him. The layout is fully wired, and the kid is far from any knowledgeable train folks (rural Wisconsin) which is what makes this tough to execute.

1: Keep the (currently working) analogue section the way it is.

2: There is an elevated level that does not connect to the lower (main) level at all, however is running off the same digital signal. I recommended he cuts these feeder wires loose and runs the top level analogue, as it is essentially one very long loop with a few sidings. (he will need to pull the switch decoders, but there are only about 6 of them)

3: For the main layout, try and purchase an MS2 or 6021/6040 combo to get rolling with digital, although there are 20+ switches so he won't get full control of them.

Going to try and skype/facetime to get him set up from afar. Fingers crossed!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Dangermouse  
#9 Posted : 08 July 2014 00:42:54(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
There are a few alternatives to the 6040s (which seem to go for insane money), I've just come across something called the "Tams mControl" which seems to allow the use of an Easynet keyboard with the 6021. There's also the 6051 interface if he has a computer old enough to run the software, the bonus is that it should be able to combine the functions of a 6040 and the memory units which allow preset routes to be selected.

He might also want to look for the ribbon extension cables 6038/9, they sometimes come up for very low prices if you keep your eyes open. Armed with those you can have Control 80/80f units spaced away from the 6021, which is handy if you want to have friends round to operate the layout. Someone can be in charge of the station pilot with a controller nearby, someone else operating the main lines, and so on.

You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#10 Posted : 11 July 2014 01:04:50(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Update- after a lot of back and forth I think he will be after 3 mobile station II's on ebay. It will break the layout into 3 isolated sections, (which is fine as it is already in 2 anyways because of an upper and lower level that aren't connected) but its the cheapest way to full digital control, and eventually can be quickly reverted to a CS 2 with the mobile stations to boot.
SBB Era 2-5
Offline rschaffr  
#11 Posted : 11 July 2014 05:12:47(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Originally Posted by: Dangermouse Go to Quoted Post
...Talking of which, IIRC there's a method for using the old Delta Control 4f units as boosters for a 6021? Given that the dedicated boosters for the 6021 are now stupidly expensive 2nd hand this might be a way out.

Yes you can use the Delta 6604 controllers as boosters, but they only work in one direction (i.e. old MM protocol such as the 6021). You jumper two of the outputs (I will have to dig to see whcih ones) and put the knob on the 6604 all the way to the right (position 4). I believe I have a 6604 downstairs I will look at tomorrow and see if I can recall all the connections and settings.

Tell your young friend "welcome to the world of Marklin" I am sure he will have many years of enjoyment and the hobby really needs young blood. I have fostered an interest in my 11 year old Grandson. He enjoys running the trains but has lately discovered an artistic streak and has sort of taken over the scenery of my layout. (BTW he calls our house "the train house"). My 8 year old Granddaughter likes to run the trains but is not as interested as my Grandson.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rschaffr
Offline rschaffr  
#12 Posted : 12 July 2014 17:03:33(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I could not lay my hands on a 6604 in the basement, but in thinking about it, I believe that you jumper the outer poles (I think they were green), you hook up your transformer to the brown and yellow individual wires and your input digital signal to the red individual wire. Then you hook the red and brown output (plugs) to your track. Turn the knob all the way to the right and you should be good to go. I have been told that this unit does send a signal back through the input red so it might work with mfx, but I have not verified this.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#13 Posted : 13 July 2014 19:15:35(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks Ron! I"ll google around a bit and see what I can scare up. Its hard to help him from afar (the layout is in WI), but he should be running in no time
SBB Era 2-5
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 13 July 2014 19:22:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: rschaffr Go to Quoted Post
I have been told that this unit does send a signal back through the input red so it might work with mfx, but I have not verified this.
I never heard that and I don't think it will transmit mfx feedback. It was designed decades before mfx came and is not prepared for mfx feedback (6015 and 6017 don't support that either).

It can be used as a booster for MM, DCC, and mfx - without feedback.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Shamu  
#15 Posted : 14 July 2014 03:35:42(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Bit late but might be of some use, found them in a old bookmark folder;

https://www.marklin-user...er-booster.aspx#post1256

http://www.mec-brunsbuettel.de/Delta/Seite1.htm

http://bogobit.de/decoder/ Think its about half way down the page

I remember looking into this a few years back as I have 2 pair from old Delta starter sets and thought it would be a very cost effective way to go but I do recall determining that with AC power supplies at least it would be necessary to use the "rocker blocks" at the isolation points.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 14 July 2014 08:56:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
I remember looking into this a few years back as I have 2 pair from old Delta starter sets and thought it would be a very cost effective way to go but I do recall determining that with AC power supplies at least it would be necessary to use the "rocker blocks" at the isolation points.
Back when I used two Delta Controls as boosters, I didn't have centre rail rockers between the Delta sections (I had centre rail rockers between Delta booster and programming track).
You also need centre rail rockers between digital and analogue parts of the layout.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline rschaffr  
#17 Posted : 16 July 2014 04:34:19(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I agree. I have never used rockers. I originally used 6604's as boosters but have replaced them all with real ones. As to the feedback of mfx signal, it is just something I heard. The circuitry in the 6604 is so primitive that I would not be surprised to have signal leakage back to the input red wire. As to dependability of that, I cannot judge. I may look harder (I feel I still have one o the beasts) and set up a test layout with my MS2. My main layout precedes mfx ind is pure MM. Since I use computer control that is no matter.
-Ron