Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline StuartA  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2014 21:43:01(UTC)
StuartA

United States   
We have a "customer" (in quotes because I have never seen him buy any Marklin products here) who seems very adept at killing the decoders in his digital locomotives (about a dozen!). Some of them are factory equipped MFX decoders, some are the older coding switch decoders (8 DIP switches), while still others are either analog locos he had converted to coding switch decoders, or upgraded Delta locos which were also upgraded to coding switch decoders. These conversions and programming (the MFX locos) were apparently done by a "friend of his.

He runs on M track, and is using a 6021 control system. He also has an old "blue" transformer which he says he has used to test the locomotive when he has problems with them (I exploded when I heard this). He says that he runs the locomotives for long periods of time, and some of them stop running after 25 minutes of operation. This seems strange to me, considering that I run the Marklin layout at the store for hours on end with an old Delta system.

So he has been bringing in his "dead" locos for me to fix. Some I test and they run fine. These ones he says will run for a while (anywhere from 5-10 minutes to 30 minutes) and then stop running. Others are very dead. Now because he has the 6021, but doesn't know how to program decoders, and I have the Mobile Station 2, using MFX decoders is out of the question since they all come default address 78. So I used (shudder) ESU LokPilot V4.0.decoders, since I can program the desired addresses for them.

Well, I converted several locos, and the tested fine - here. Sure enough he came back with them, complaining that they stopped working. I tested them, and some worked, some didn't. He said that he would prefer to have me using "genuine" Marklin decoders. I tried to explain the problem about programming them. I also feel that until he addresses the problem with his layout "killing" the decoders that anymore work would be a waste of time.

Anyway, I really don't know what to do about this guy. I wonder if the power source he's using for the 6021 could be the problem. What do you think?

Stuart
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2014 21:53:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: StuartA Go to Quoted Post
I tried to explain the problem about programming them.
You can program "genuine" Märklin decoders (shudder) with the MS2 - personally I prefer ESU decoders.

Decoders switch off on overload. CU 6021 switches off on overload. Transformer feeding the 6021 switches off on overload. None of this should kill a decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2014 22:07:09(UTC)
Webmaster

If he is using an old blue transformer in analog while "testing" and tries to reverse - there is a great risk of frying the decoder, no matter if it's Märklin or ESU...

The oldest 6080 and the first generation 6090 can mostly take it, but from M 60901 and onwards, including the ESU Märklin era decoders the likelyhood of
blowing it with an old analog blue transformer is greater than the decoder survival odds... Especially the ESU mfx decoders of that time are prone to this
due to very narrow tolerances. I don't expect Märklin's own mfx decoders are any better regarding this...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Renato  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2014 22:12:04(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Stuart,

Only two considerations:

1) Is the power supply (transformer) for the 6021 correct for the energy company nominal voltage?
2) Are you sure he does not use the blue transformer to test the locomotives and maybe changes the travel direction?

Everything is possible...

Cheers

Renato
Offline Dangermouse  
#5 Posted : 06 July 2014 22:46:17(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
I've used a 6021 to operate everything from Delta to 6090x, and ESU. Nothing has died, even after leaving some locos running for an hour (giving them a bit of exercise after cleaning and oiling).

Mind you, I use one of the white 32VA transformers to feed the controller.

I might look at his transformer struggling to keep up with the 6021's demands, then overheating and cutting out. That would explain the time delay.

I know if my 6021 has a momentary power interruption (a second or so) it has a bit of a hissy fit - you have to switch off, wait for the red light to stop flashing and then turn the power back on, after which it's perfectly happy. If the overload protection on whatever transformer he's using resets that quickly then it'd probably cause the 6021 to lock up.

See if you can persuade him to try a new transformer, and see if that cures the problem. If you've got one around the shop you might be able to agree something like "if it doesn't work then bring it back and we'll refund you".
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2014 23:40:40(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
When you are dealing with what someone else is doing outside of your control and knowledge of what they are actually doing it can be quite a challenge to find out what's wrong. You could easily have a combination of problems.

Despite all the warnings I am yet to blow a decoder with those awful blue transformers, I blow them in much more interesting and elaborated waysLOL . Which brings up a couple of thoughts, your customer might like experimenting with things without knowing exactly the consequences of connecting different cables to different places within the locos or the layout.

I don't think having the overload protection will necessarily stop the 6021 from putting out some wrong signal or momentary overvoltage on the track. As mentioned above the 25 minutes cut off could well be the transformer or the 6021 being overloaded for a number of reasons yet to be discovered and that may or may not have anything to do with the 6021 being faulty or not.

I have countless times seen as well wrong wiring that connects track continuously or at the press of a button to something it shouldn't be connected and that could be blowing the decoders.

Since original locos are having the problem too I would give the friend the benefit of the doubt and leave him out of the picture. I would recommend if it is something you are prepared to do to organize a visit to his layout to inspect if there is anything extremely obvious causing the problem. In some cases is just about impossible but you can try applying power directly from an external source and measure (without trains) for current consumption that shouldn't be there or voltage for that matter.

Unless you are absolutely sure there is no problem with his set up I would refuse to digitize any locos as it is likely the problem will continue to happen and you, marklin or ESU will be blamed for the blown decoders.
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 07 July 2014 03:55:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
this client needs some basic training regarding digital components otherwise you will have a constant recall, some one would have to explain what a blue transformer does when using it with decoders and there are others who think they can install decoders but really have no idea.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 07 July 2014 04:28:54(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Take the blue transformer from him to be sure that he will not use it.
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 07 July 2014 04:32:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would not recommend using any of the older blue transformers with modern decoders (Zimo/ESU/etc). They can probably still be used with 6090/6080 and earlier.
Many electric companies have tweaked their voltage slightly. The transformers output is a factor of the input so changes can affect the operation. Make sure that the transformer can operate within a range from 110 to 122 VAC. The breaker on the 6-21 is pretty quick to respond. The blue transformers took a little longer to react, but were still pretty good. The older ones simply kept going, but the indicator bulb would dim to show you that there was a problem.

The first thing I would check is the output voltage of the blue transformer. You should also check the output voltage of the 6021 to make sure that it is working normally. I would also make sure that there are not two transformers connected to the same tracks or that the locomotives are not passing over a track which would momentarily connect to two sections with different transformers or analog and digital at the same time.

The second thing that I would check is to make sure that the proper dip switches are activated on the back of the 6021.

I would try to sell the customer a 6647 transformer to upgrade his older one. It is safer both for the trains and for the house.

One last question. When you installed ESU or other modern decoders in older locos, did you also make the necessary changes to the magnet?

Regards

Mike C
Offline StuartA  
#10 Posted : 07 July 2014 06:00:25(UTC)
StuartA

United States   
What changes are necessary to the magnet? These locos already have the permanent magnet motors.

Stuart
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 07 July 2014 07:56:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
Despite all the warnings I am yet to blow a decoder with those awful blue transformers
The output voltage of some blue transformers is a few volts below that of record-breaking blue transformers. Other consumers (e.g. lights on the layout powered by the same transformer) will also reduce the reversing voltage.
And last but not least the operator will make a difference: If you know that blue transformers you will apply the reversing voltage as short as possible - while others may apply it much longer, waiting in vain for the flash of lights they get from their purely analogue locos.

It's not the colour that makes those transformers dangerous, but IMHO you should not use them without measuring the reversing voltage first.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 07 July 2014 19:28:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: StuartA Go to Quoted Post
What changes are necessary to the magnet? These locos already have the permanent magnet motors.

Stuart

Quote:
while still others are either analog locos he had converted to coding switch decoders, or upgraded Delta locos which were also upgraded to coding switch decoders. These conversions and programming (the MFX locos) were apparently done by a "friend of his.

Based on this passage, I decided to mention the magnet and wiring as possible causes for problems. As you have seen the locos, you would know whether all pertinent upgrades had been performed during the original conversions.

Regards

Mike C