Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bronco  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2014 07:54:14(UTC)
bronco

Canada   
Hello all,
Could someone please help me in identifying the decoder in the attached pic.
Thank you.....Shelton

UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2014 08:04:05(UTC)
H0

Hi, Shelton!
Originally Posted by: bronco Go to Quoted Post
Could someone please help me in identifying the decoder in the attached pic.
I don't see a decoder on the picture. Looks like the reverse unit of an analogue loco.

Does the serial number begin with an E?
https://www.marklin-user...ive-s-serial-number.aspx
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline bronco  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2014 08:44:39(UTC)
bronco

Canada   
Hi Tom,
I bought this lok off ebay which was listed as HO - Marklin 3660 BR 111 041-0 E-Loco Digital - LNIB. Yes, it is a reverse unit of a analogue loco, but I can't get it to run in digital mode with my MS2 controller. I don't see a serial number listed any where. I can post a pic of the complete lok if it helps.
Thanks & regards..... Shelton
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 02 July 2014 09:16:37(UTC)
H0

It's an analogue 3360, not a digital 3660.
You cannot run analogue locos with an MS2.

The item is not as described if it was listed as 3660.

The serial number should be under the powered truck. Which number is on the box?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline bronco  
#5 Posted : 02 July 2014 10:14:47(UTC)
bronco

Canada   
Thanks Tom for the clarification ......Well, it looks like I got succered into buying this lok thinking that it is digital, anyway the next best thing for me to do is to convert it to digital. I wonder whether anyone in this forum has done such a conversion and who will be willing to help me with a wireing diagram.... Its the dual lights (red and clear bulbs) in the front and back that confuses me. I am able to operate the lok with my MS2, but it only runs with one speed.
Regards....Shelton
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 02 July 2014 11:23:36(UTC)
H0

I am able to operate the lok with my MS2, but it only runs with one speed.
That's the normal behaviour of analogue AC locos on a digital layout.

I wonder whether anyone in this forum has done such a conversion and who will be willing to help me with a wireing diagram....
I would use a decoder with at least AUX1 and AUX2. I'd take AUX1 and AUX2 for the red lights and LF/LR (front lights, rear lights) for the white bulbs. A li'l bit of decoder function mapping will give you all possible light combinations.

You could use LF/LR only for both white and red lights - but then red and white will be on together or off together.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline bronco  
#7 Posted : 02 July 2014 12:10:21(UTC)
bronco

Canada   
Tom, with this connection would I be able to get the front (white) and rear (red) light to come on alternately in either direction of travel?
Offline Dangermouse  
#8 Posted : 02 July 2014 16:28:05(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
I've just done this very conversion on a 3355 (same loco, but S-Bahn livery).

I fitted an ESU conversion kit, which has a Lokpilot V4 decoder and a permanent magnet to replace the Marklin field coil. The part number is 64632, assuming that yours has the Drum Commutator Motor (I think all Marklin Br.111s do?) You'll also need some heat-shrink sleeving.

I left the factory wiring in place on the headlights but removed everything else. Desolder the headlight wiring from the existing circuit board, also disconnect everything from the motor.

Wire the lights up first, look on the loco body to check which is number 1 end (it has "1" and "2" near the cab doors), on my three 111s #1 end has the pickup slider. Regard this as the front when you're wiring the lights.

I wired my lights so that the headlights are directional on F0, but the tail lights are switched separately on F1 and F2. That way I can turn them on as needed rather than having a train behind and tail lights showing (or headlights shining on the coach next to the engine in push-pull service), which isn't realistic. If I have a push-pull train coupled to #2 end of the loco and want #1 end tail lights on then I just switch on F1, when reversing I switch off F1 and switch on F0. I believe that it would be possible to have directional tail lights controlled by one function button, but trying to program that with my 6021 is just asking for trouble! I'll stick with the current mapping for now, it works.

Use the heat shrink to insulate the joins between the decoder wires and the factory headlight wiring. I'm not sure if you've done this before, but if not then you need a common return from all four bulbs which connects to the blue wire from the decoder. Mine had a common return from each end's bulbs, so I joined them together and to the blue wire. The other pins on the bulb holders connect to the headlight outputs and the function outputs.

If when you finish you find that the headlights don't match the direction of travel then switch the motor wires over. That way when your controller says that the loco is going forwards #1 end will be leading, which makes it much easier to keep track of what's happening.

I'm not sure how easy it is to program CVs with the MS2, you will have to program a handful of settings to get the best performance. The values are in the decoder manual, you can download an English-language version from the ESU site if you need it.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dangermouse
Offline bronco  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2014 17:43:33(UTC)
bronco

Canada   
Thank you very much for the detailed wireing explanation. I am now pretty confident that I could pull this one off. I like your idea of the seperate F1 & F2 connections. The purpose of converting this loco is because I want to use it for my push-pull bi-level train.

I have done several digital conversions but not on a loco with four bulbs. I have a Lokprogrammer so I dont forsee a problem on the programing front. Oh, and btw thanks for the tip on how to identify the front and rear of the engine, did'nt know that before. I am still trying to identify which is the front end of the Marklin 3151.

Cheers.....Shelton
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 04 July 2014 18:03:27(UTC)
H0

I am still trying to identify which is the front end of the Marklin 3151.
The cabs should be marked with I and II respectively.

And with most Märklin models cab 1 is ahead in the default direction (it's cab 2 for E 17, E 18, E 19, V 200, and most 103.

With two-truck locos, use the powered truck as the rear end to maximize tractive effort. They run either way in the prototype world if they have two cabs.

I think with Ae 3/6 the two unpowered axles should be at the front.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Dangermouse  
#11 Posted : 05 July 2014 20:40:59(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Older locos had "V" and "H". AKA "Vor" and "Hinter", or Front and Back!

If you look at the ESU manual it does explain how to map the function outputs into different function buttons, so I think it should be possible to have auto-switching tail lights (which can be switched off when hauling a train, as opposed to propelling it).

Mine has now had a test with the 43589 coach pack I bought at the same time, it had little trouble with them in either direction.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline bronco  
#12 Posted : 08 July 2014 14:27:32(UTC)
bronco

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I am still trying to identify which is the front end of the Marklin 3151.
The cabs should be marked with I and II respectively.

And with most Märklin models cab 1 is ahead in the default direction (it's cab 2 for E 17, E 18, E 19, V 200, and most 103.

With two-truck locos, use the powered truck as the rear end to maximize tractive effort. They run either way in the prototype world if they have two cabs.

I think with Ae 3/6 the two unpowered axles should be at the front.

Offline bronco  
#13 Posted : 08 July 2014 14:51:12(UTC)
bronco

Canada   
Electric Märklin 3151 SBB Ae 3/6 No. 10460 2 rail HAMO
There are no cab markings on the above loco. Both sets of wheels two and four are unpowered. I too assumed that the two wheels would be the front end. My apologies for digressing from the original subject.
Cheers....Shelton