Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline arawata  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2014 13:38:32(UTC)
arawata

Australia   
I know from searching old forum posts that it is possible to run a digital loco on an analogue system (M-track with 6647 transformer). Before I try it for myself though, I would just like to have my mind put to rest that this works "out of the box" or does the loco need to be configured for analogue use?
I am looking to add a 4-6-2 loco, such as the BR 18 (#3091) to my collection. Appreciate your help...
Offline Gregor  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2014 15:19:09(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi Arawata,

In principle it should work out of the box. Some small points of attention though:
- In analogue mode, the front lights of older digital locs do not work. You would need to connect the light feed wire to the slider instead of the decoder output to have this fixed.
- When using older transformers meant for 220 V, you risk frying the decoder when you give a reverse command, because nowadays socket tension (in Europe) is 230 V. But if your transformer rating corresponds to the actual voltage supplied to your home, it should be OK.

Best regards,
Gregor
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2014 16:32:31(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: arawata Go to Quoted Post
I am looking to add a 4-6-2 loco, such as the BR 18 (#3091) to my collection.
That is an analogue loco.

Some decoders have DIP switches and require a special configuration for analogue mode, but most decoders switch automatically between analogue and digital operation.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2014 21:42:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Originally Posted by: arawata Go to Quoted Post
I am looking to add a 4-6-2 loco, such as the BR 18 (#3091) to my collection.
That is an analogue loco.

Some decoders have DIP switches and require a special configuration for analogue mode, but most decoders switch automatically between analogue and digital operation.

The 'special configuration' is all switches off. This works on all MM locos as far as I know, but there was a period when Märklin were not allowed use of the patent covering the automatic detection and switching between AC and digital modes. If using a delta decoder which has the solder blobs to set the address then this decoder has the auto switching.