Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2014 16:43:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi,

my days are gone whereas I had to have the latest edition, latest release, my days are now sometimes occupied finding bargains and this brings me to recommended retail prices and prices on specials and the difference can be as much as € 200., especially Brawa locos or other brands.
Looking at this price variation one wonders how much are these locos if bought at a wholesale price ? and looking back I was able to afford new locos but these days I can't see the sense in paying so much for them, secondly if you buy locos at a premium price how long would it have to be before you get your money back in case you sell them, like many looking at it at an investment, others get total enjoyment out of it regardless how much they paid for.
another irony is, we always talk about how reliable Märklin locos are but very seldom going down the path of buying second hand gear or like myself converting older locos to be able to run on my digital layout.

Would it be fair to say the latest Märklin models are fairly expensive and one assumes getting bigger profits with newer models again being improved or enhanced further but is it the case and what about the delays when new models are announced, is this a positive or negative for the company or the buyer ? I think I can say there had been instances for a new announced model which hasn't been delivered already newer models are in new items flyer promoted.

In a nutshell what is it all about, are we losing the race or can't keep up with it, do they keep us in check so we don't lose the momentum and the waiting time and frustration to have this dream model in our hand we are also losing the race how to keep our budget under control but somehow manage to keep this disease at bay by feeding it constantly, are we therefore so attached to crocodiles Smile. I've sold quite a few models few years back and there are others on my wish list and I feel I'm a silent negotiator between dealers, new locos and my ever growing layout, I suppose to be in control of finances, rolling stock, maintenance and general upkeep and the smooth running of trains, electrical and electronic elements, lately a backlog upgrading locos with sound decoders and at the same time 1000's of dollars going out the door. it goes so fast I don't even see door open or close, at the moment with all the rain we are having, being retired and having a bit more time to think, I'm thinking I have to think of different things and get my way of thinking away from trains for a while but how can I, a parcel is being send from Germany today and it will arrive in a fortnight, I'll be looking at the tracking stage and see everything is running alright, it could be here even in 10 days and what will happen when the parcel arrives, will I leave all the other jobs in the hard basket ?

I'm surprised I still can sleep at nightBored
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2014 17:46:50(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I don't need the latest new models and I'm not willing to pay high prices for them. There are some exceptions, but usually I buy only second hand locomotives and rolling stock. I like also old analog locomotives and other old items. For me old means +50 years. Everything doesn't need to be 800 series. I want to keep these analog and run them on my garage layout. I have been more in my garage recently than in my train room where my digital layout is... This tells something about my interest in analog old trains Wink .

I will buy Märklin 1 gauge tracks soon so I can then see how interested I am to this large scale. But it will be only temporary living room floor layouts to have some fun Smile . The fun is the thing that should not be forgotten with this model railroad hobby RollEyes .

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2014 01:17:50(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I think comparatively speaking Marklin locos in general are cheaper than what they used to be but many things have changed that might make it look otherwise. Every year many more models are being released than four decades or so ago and we have locked ourselves in this "I want more and more" society that pushes you into spending not just in trains but plenty of other things that are trying to seduce your money leaving a lot less available.

I haven't yet bought any 2014 Marklin models, that may change but as I have mentioned in other posts if I am going to pay top money for a new engine I want perfection and I am not getting it. You only live once and you don't know what the future is holding for you, my view is that if there is something you are going to enjoy and you are able to get it the get it regardless of financial loses, you don't lose anything when you are happy, that is when something makes you truly happy and it is not something that last just five minutes. Second hand items are wonderful too, you get a bit of history, recycle and you can still get hours of fun at a fraction of the cost. If it doesn't break the bank when a new model that provides a good relation quality vs price is released I will still buy it too.

One word regarding wholesale prices, many companies these days have these price tactics where prices change a lot depending on the buyer causing that many small shops or companies might pay a wholesale price which is the same or higher than what the same article is being sold to the public somewhere else.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2014 02:56:17(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Where Lok's are concerned I don't think I have bought anything "new" for at least 2 years since my German connection uncle Thorsten died. While I could get (by Australian standards) absolute bargains I did but since his passing I have only looked at second hand loco's. Also there is the issue of the "new" motors which I personally have little faith in. In theory the C-sine/SDS and coreless motors "should" last a lifetime BUT the controller electronics is another matter especially the dedicated (single model) boards. Although I have in the last month gone mad and bought around half a dozen C-sine/sds equipped lok's my major concern is the "can" motors in some of my engines made in the last 4 years, namely the newer BR 81's, BR 24 and maybe even the 39023 BR 18.3. The virtually total lack of any information from Marklin as to the exact motor in most of the recent (last 4 years) loco's is also another factor turning me away from "new" releases.

Unlike the old coffee grinders I doubt many of the newer motors will still be working in 20 let alone 50+ years time, and what is the likely chance that replacement motors/controller boards will even be available at reasonable prices if at all ? As much as I have a handful of items I have bought with the intention of "saving" the bulk of my collection will be run on the new layout (once we sell up and in a new home) as to me that is what it is all about. A working layout that I can enjoy and hopefully the kids and grandkids to pass on the "Bug".

Prices of the "new" items although comparatively lower than 30+ years ago are out of reach to the majority of us that are retired and or pensioners. AU $600+ for a loco no matter how flash is just not on. Although I have splurged on several $400 items recently the bulk of my collection I have paid on average around the 150 to 250 mark. Then again I have invested thousands in conversion kits and sound decoders so in the long run have I actually saved buy getting older/analogue loco's to fix up ? Some loco's I bought 5 or 6 years ago I would be lucky to get half back were I to sell them now even though I got them for what was at the time a very good price. In some ways anything we buy is a gamble. Confused

It is a can of worms as to wether to buy new, second-hand/used or wait for the "bargains" when they appear a year or 3 after a release. I think that perhaps there is also a usability issue as well with "digital" in general going by the posts by some of the members here and I often wonder why they are even bothering, hell I even wonder myself at times and I spend 35+ years in IT. I'm sure with enough relays and a smattering of 555 timers I could achieve what digital does, then again pigs might fly. Laugh

In the end we will all do what we must do, some will play scrooge, others careful consideration and some like me will go mental for a month once a year and blow a wad of cash. Its a disease and we are all Marklin Junkies otherwise we wouldn't be here.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline foumaro  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2014 05:21:06(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am buing the new models and some older to complete my collection.This year i bought the Alaska F7 with the ten Alaska waggons and the Super Chief,one older and a brand new.For the rest of the year i will try to find on ebay one locomotive from the past ,five USA tinplates and one caboose i do not have to complete my collection and if i will have the money the new F7 Soo Line.I have allready order the USA 46645,45657,45658,it was a must have for me.I will try to sell some of my locomotives because my interest is much more to USA models if i manage to sell them,i will keep the money for the next year.For example i will try to sell 39390 BR39 and 39230 BR 23,both of them are in perfect shape,they have not run over 20 minutes,boxes and papers in perfect shape.I do not have matching waggons for them so it is better for me to sell them.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline mrmarklin  
#6 Posted : 22 June 2014 05:51:09(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
My biggest problem is that the only 2d hand models I want are fairly rare!!!

The reality is that I pretty buy what I want out of current production. That way I don't "miss" anything. Now that I'm pretty much DRG looking for some of the older items that I didn't buy back in the day can be quite time consuming. Luckily, most items are not overly expensive. But time is money too. I travel the Germany and attend the swap meets almost annually, so that cost has to be factored into whatever "bargains" I get there.Blink

I enjoy the latest technology, and have found that retrofitting my older loks is not very cost effective. I can usually sell them and buy the MFX equivalent for cheaper than an upgrade. The cost of the MFX technology and a sound unit is not very cheap IMHO.Crying
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin