Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2014 05:55:31(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Received today my Marklin 4228 Rheingold set from ebay. It has seen better days but not too bad for the price. One of the cars needs a new pocket were the close coupler goes into (missing copper contact). Is there a parts sheet for this and how to take apart the d**** thing ? I did send a email to Marklin about this and waiting for a reply. Any help would be appreciated - Fred
Offline 3rail4life  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2014 07:36:22(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   

Hi Fred,

Gently pull off the roof and you will sell how it is all held together, lots of metal tabs. To access the coupler pockets for replacement, I took the whole thing apart, a bit of a job , but I saw no other way. I started with the bulkheads and worked my way down, not easy at all and you have to be careful not scratch or break anything else along the way. The coupler pockets are E271140, not sure on the conducting springs.

Hope this helps:

4228 coach parts picture

Cheers,

Gordon

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2014 08:15:04(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Fred,

The contact-spring is
Code:
E271150 - Kontaktfeder ( Kuppl.)5 Stück
6,00 € Unverbindliche Preisempfehlung(VPE: 5) E 

If Märklin does not reply immediately please notice that today is a public holiday in southern Germany and most companies also don't work tomorrow.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline SteamNut  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2014 13:20:03(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Thanks for the replies. When I have some time this weekend I will try to tackle this some more.
Offline SteamNut  
#5 Posted : 21 June 2014 01:20:54(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Thanks to you I was able to take it apart without damage BigGrin Now I know why Marklin is sometimes referred to as "Mother Marklin" The coupling contactor spring is completely missing someone used it for parts somewhere. Marklin has the part in stock however I can not buy directly from Marklin as I live in the US. The part # is E271150 can someone offer a suggestion or help ?
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 21 June 2014 03:09:47(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Perhaps it is part of current conducting coupler kit 7319. These clips can be damaged if the copper conductor on the draw bar does not slip under (assuming the coach is right side up) the coupler pocket clip.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 21 June 2014 07:38:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
Marklin has the part in stock however I can not buy directly from Marklin as I live in the US.
If you could they would charge you €50 for postage and handling.
Can't you order through Walthers? Or through an American dealer?

Märklin sometimes economise their trains - it could be by design that the coach running next to the loco only gets one of these copper thingies (I don't know about the 4228, but they did that with other coach sets).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline SteamNut  
#8 Posted : 21 June 2014 15:05:54(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
This car fits between the other couches the two ends have regular couplers. I will try Walthers today as they are only about 45 miles from my house.
Offline SteamNut  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2014 22:33:09(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I received last week the part I needed and put everything back together again. Thanks for all the help! Now I find out that derailments are no fun with these type of couplers Blink
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 15 September 2014 08:08:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
Now I find out that derailments are no fun with these type of couplers Blink
There should be no derailing with Märklin rolling stock on properly laid Märklin tracks.

I found it's easier to couple this type of coaches while they lie upside down. Turning six coaches with just two hands was a bit of a challenge once all coaches were coupled together.

Do they always derail at the same spots?

Trucks can be mounted in two positions: one that allows running on small radii, one that looks good.
Small radii is the factory default.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#11 Posted : 15 September 2014 10:07:12(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
...Trucks can be mounted in two positions: one that allows running on small radii, one that looks good.
Small radii is the factory default.

Oh that's interesting. I have the 4228 and have no derailment problems on my M-track layout, but I am interested to know a little more about the two positions. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 15 September 2014 14:04:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
... but I am interested to know a little more about the two positions.
RTFM - read the funny manual (copy URL to address field):
Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/42283_betrieb.pdf

See pages 2 and 3.
This is the 42283 manual, but I assume the 4228 is the same with respect to lowering.

I never tried it myself, I just know it can be done.
And for a second-hand purchase this is one aspect that has to be checked if the train derails.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Gregor  
#13 Posted : 15 September 2014 14:57:46(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
This is the 42283 manual, but I assume the 4228 is the same with respect to lowering.

Yes, I have the 4228 and indeed it has the same washers to increase the height.

My 4228 sometimes derails as well. On the previous analog layout it shortened, but apparently not enough to have the protection kick in. The heat deformed the bottom which tilted the bogie stud. It was a hell of a job aligning this back to 90°.

UserPostedImage

best regards,
Gregor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline SteamNut  
#14 Posted : 16 September 2014 08:11:26(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I will check that out but it seems to be at the turnouts mostly which are the 200 series.