Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline plavnostruev  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2014 16:07:17(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Recently I had a chance to test several MTH 3 rail AC USA models on my baby NOCH C-track layout.
Models included GP35, SD70, ALCO PA, GG1, F 7, GS 4, Challenger and Big Boy.
The result (aside from having lots of fun) is overwhelmingly positive: models have very solid build, great detailing, smooth running and an outstanding sound, one of the best I've heard from HO models.

I published quick REVIEW, hope you will find it informative.

Michael

Edited by user 21 June 2014 16:29:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 10 users liked this useful post by plavnostruev
Offline Will  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2014 23:24:24(UTC)
Will

United States   
What are you controlling them with?

Edit - oops. See it now. Wonder how they'd work with CS.
Offline Nielsenr  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2014 01:46:46(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I have been using MTH locos with a CS2 and they are working well. I have had a little bit of a struggle getting the addresses changed to a long DCC address (I use the cab # as the address). I may have finally come up with a method that works more easily, I'll know whenever I get another MTH loco. I really like them and I do like the price I have been paying, less than the price listed in the links Michael gave. However, I have had two problems with two Challengers. One had the smoke box DOA on arrival. And another Challenger just stopped dead, shorting the CS2. The smoke box was replaced and is working fine. The "shorted" Challenger is still in for repair.

Robert
Offline Will  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2014 01:57:43(UTC)
Will

United States   
Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
I have been using MTH locos with a CS2 and they are working well. I have had a little bit of a struggle getting the addresses changed to a long DCC address (I use the cab # as the address). I may have finally come up with a method that works more easily, I'll know whenever I get another MTH loco. I really like them and I do like the price I have been paying, less than the price listed in the links Michael gave. However, I have had two problems with two Challengers. One had the smoke box DOA on arrival. And another Challenger just stopped dead, shorting the CS2. The smoke box was replaced and is working fine. The "shorted" Challenger is still in for repair.

Robert

Thanks for the info. I'd love to see something in a Southern Railway livery.....
Offline Nielsenr  
#5 Posted : 19 June 2014 04:43:07(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
How about this one??

http://www.mthtrains.com/content/80-2335-5

Due out in Aug 2014 ...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline foumaro  
#6 Posted : 19 June 2014 08:28:53(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: plavnostruev Go to Quoted Post
Recently I had a chance to test several MTH 3 rail AC USA models on my baby NOCH C-track layout.
Models included GP35, SD70, ALCO PA, GG1, F 7, GS 4, Challenger and Big Boy.
The result (aside from having lots of fun) is overwhelmingly positive: models have very solid build, great detailing, smooth running and an outstanding sound, one of the best I've heard from HO models.

I published quick REVIEW, hope you will find it informative.

Michael

I think i have a problem now with all these,it was a mistake i open the link,i want them all.Drool LOL Love BigGrin Wub Woot ThumpUp
Offline foumaro  
#7 Posted : 19 June 2014 08:30:45(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Can anybody provide us the catalog of this company?
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 19 June 2014 08:35:02(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I find the catalog,i have two questions,can i run these diesels with my 6021 controller and are they have metal shells?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#9 Posted : 19 June 2014 18:26:41(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post

Robert

Not trying to berate marklin, but it must be nice sending it back locally in the US to a proper warranty department... I miss that convenience I had from when I was running Lionel.
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline plavnostruev  
#10 Posted : 20 June 2014 05:07:58(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I find the catalog,i have two questions,can i run these diesels with my 6021 controller and are they have metal shells?

Hi there,

I had no problem running these MTH models with:
- Old blue Marklin analog transformers
- MSI
- MSII
- ECOS
- Viessmann Commander (remember those?)
- Z21
Sorry, I currently don't have CS2 Blushing but I don't see why there would be an issue.
Speaking of Commander, I used it to reassign default address (3) and it worked fine.

As to metal shells... we're all Marklin metal heads here and all that, but once you put these very hefty and substantial models in your hand, you will not be so worried about it.
Having said that, all metal MTH GG1 with functioning pantos is a winner hands down!

One thing that initially threw me off was when I accidently pressed F6 and that shut down all decoder functions outside of running the engine... pressing it again incrementally (or restarting controller) restored sound , but for a while I thought decoder was friedCursing.
Also, I tried running MTH Challenger (fantastic model! ThumpUp ) around the R1 track... don't do it. Sad
Finally, MTH FA-1 B units are complete engines and they will run by themselves, sound and all, as creepy as it might look OhMyGod LOL

Michael
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by plavnostruev
Offline plavnostruev  
#11 Posted : 21 June 2014 16:47:01(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
June 21 UPDATE

I recognize that what I am about to convey is a bit of marketing, however this information would also benefit interested members of the Forum.
To boost interest and increase awareness of these fine MTH 3 Rail AC models, you are now offered substantial price reduction on SD70, GG1, Challenger and GS4.
This is one off, very rare event. MTH 3 Rail AC Models
Michael
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by plavnostruev
Offline biedmatt  
#12 Posted : 21 June 2014 19:10:18(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Very nice stuff, a boon for the 3-rail US proto boys. Lucky devils!
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline foumaro  
#13 Posted : 21 June 2014 20:11:50(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
They are all very nice.I am interested for the diesels,i have 37491,29490,37493 GG1 from Marklin and the steamers can not run to my layout.I am not sure yet i can run those perfect machines with my 6021 and i have to change couplers and wheels too and i do not know if it is possible.Unfortutatelly i cannot find these perfect machines in Greece.The yellow Santa Fe F7 is great tempting.Drool Love Wub ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Hackcell  
#14 Posted : 21 June 2014 20:33:03(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
buying UP based GP35 and SD70 :-))
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline blid  
#15 Posted : 22 June 2014 09:17:01(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
The only thing you have to do before placing a MTH 3-rail H0 engine on a 3-rail Marklin H0 layout with Marklin or Marklin compatible controller is to check the DCC/DCS switch. It has to be in the DCC position. If it is in the DCS (MTH control system) position there will be a short when you place it on the (programming) track. If your controller don’t switch the power off the decoder might be burned. This is probably what happened to a member of this forum and he was not happy. In those days the manuals were not ready, but now I think it is properly described (you can download them). However, there is still confusing sales talk in the MTH catalog about the decoder automatically sensing the source and protocol. This might be true for their standard decoders, but NOT for the 3E+ for 3-rail when it comes to DCS versus non DCS.
The engines comes with wheels for Marklin 3-rail so they are OK and the couplers are “Marklin style” in MEM pockets so they are OK too. My GP-35s have problems with the curved (R1) C-track turnouts but that is all - and they didn’t have to go there.
MTH states that the 3E+ decoder understands Marklin/Motorola as well. In that case the 6021 would work just fine – with a limited number of functions. I don’t have a 6021 so I can’t verify this. I am currently rebuilding my layout so I don’t have access to my stuff right now. Maybe someone else could try to introduce an MTH engine as “Motorola” to a CS2 and check if I can run as such.
About functions: the CS2 can access the first 16 functions but a program, like Train Controller, can access all of them thru the CS2.
Bjorn
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline foumaro  
#16 Posted : 22 June 2014 12:51:29(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
you replied to all my questions with the best way it was possible Bjorn,thank you very much.I am thinking seriously to make a start with these models,when i am ready i will make a pm to plavnostruev to help me,thanks a lot again.ThumpUp
Offline Webmaster  
#17 Posted : 25 June 2014 22:22:01(UTC)
Webmaster

A popularity poll about some AC MTH locs was conducted a couple of years ago...

https://www.marklin-user...oco-would-you-order.aspx
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]