Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2014 05:24:34(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Maybe a question John river6109 Offline will know right off but many (15?) years ago I purchased a Roco 43512 Re 4/4 "Bahn Rail Ferrovia" model at auction.

I have run it a couple of times on DC and it runs smoothly and quietly. I've always liked Roco's models, from what I've heard generally well-built and reliable.

I have a couple of options on this. I can leave it as it is, and run it DC from the overhead on Märklin track, nice and simple.

I can look at converting it to 3-rail using original Roco parts, from the instruction sheet it seems it was offered in a 3R variant

I can ditch this one and look for a factory 3R version of the same (or ditch it and get the Marklin equivalent 3330 or 3630).

But I quite like the idea of a little variety at least.

So I guess the first question is would I still be able to get the required parts from Roco to do the conversion? It may be that all I need is a pickup shoe and the plate it mounts to but I suspect it's not as simple as that because I'd still need a connection from the shoe up to the motor

Is this a candidate for adding a Digital Decoder and which one would be best?

I've added some pictures below, and the service sheet that comes with it. It's virtually as-new, minimal running. I did also get a Croc at the same time but I sold that some years back because I could see that converting it would be a major task.

Thoughts, anyone done a similar conversion?

Also, it came with a spare pair of driving wheels, they appear to be replacements for the installed ones which have traction tyres, the spare ones do not. Any particular reason they included these?
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
Roco-P1010808.jpg
Roco-P1010832.jpg
Roco-P1010831.jpg
Roco-Sheet1.jpg
Roco-Sheet2.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2014 23:50:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Roco released two of the original models in AC. Unlike the DC model, the AC model only had one powered bogie. The second bogie had the AC slider.
I have a spare chassis AC that is not complete, but will provide the basis for building an AC version.
I converted the loco to a dummy, so it no longer has a motor or any wiring. I will try to locate as many of the parts that may still be remaining in my part boxes. I am not sure if I still have the circuit board, etc. You will have to take the circuit board from your DC model, but if you are using an ESU type decoder, that should not cause any issues.
You will also have to take at least one set of wheel contacts from the DC model and build it into one of the bogies of the AC chassis.

Contact me and I will find out the postage costs to NZ. Cost of the part will be $5 plus shipping

Does that sound reasonable?

Regards

Mike C