Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#51 Posted : 18 June 2014 17:46:58(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Hi sorry, have I got this right. Marklin sales were up by 1 million euros and rocos 50 million euros?

No that's not what it says. Roco sold 50 million and Marklin sold 100 million.

Well...if you did put other factory which produce 3 rail locomotivs too,they will togehter with Roco average Märklins 100 millions...

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#52 Posted : 20 June 2014 08:42:04(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

I actually think Marklin should try the Japanese markets or Asian markets, great potential there
Offline PhillipL  
#53 Posted : 29 June 2014 13:07:53(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I am mostly a DC model railroader, I have noticed the huge price increases here in the in US especially with ROCO. I understand that that there are always labor costs (a fair wage should be paid to every worker) but I have also seen price increase of close to 100% of some models that were first released 15 years ago which goes beyond labor costs and exchange rates It seems ROCO and others are targeting older adults who have very large hobby budgets. This market is one that will continue to shrink in the long term.

I really think that the industry needs to attract children back into the hobby as they are the future of hobby. I think "My World" is really great but in my opinion, needs to probably be expanded to include more models. I saw a very interesting interview with the president of Piko who stated something to the effect that he is targeting the younger modelers through the Hobbyline models because children are the future market. I know many folks will not consider Piko's Hobbyline but where else can someone buy a BR218 for around $70.00? To honest, due to saving for retirement and paying down debt ,I have begun purchasing some of the items in this line and have been very happy with them.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline sjlauritsen  
#54 Posted : 29 June 2014 15:17:25(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: PhillipL Go to Quoted Post
To honest, due to saving for retirement and paying down debt ,I have begun purchasing some of the items in this line and have been very happy with them.

I have started to buy some of their Expert line models. These are also great value, and you get some really nice features like warm white LEDs and red tail lights that can be separately turned off. There is no need for this to be "high end" only. PIKO knows this and that's one of the things I like about them.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline RayF  
#55 Posted : 29 June 2014 16:49:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I also have some of Piko's "Hobby" and "Expert" range locomotives. They are excellent for what they cost. Marklin should expand their "Hobby" range, but not as they have recently, with sound decoders and mfx which bring the price up to around €200. Simple electronics and basic detailing should keep the price at around the €100 to €120 which is the Piko price bracket for these locos.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#56 Posted : 30 June 2014 01:40:17(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
I have a 3 rail digital Liliput which cost little (about 100 Euro) and I find it excellent.
But there is nothing else in their range that would suit me.

In all, I can understand the model train market shrinking.
This is why production over the last 15 years has always been limited in numbers.
And the brands (Marklin, Hornby, BLI, Atlas) are being very strict about limiting their inventory.
You do not see this sort of limitation with Xbox et al.

In the 1950s/60s Hornby, Lionel, Tyco, Marklin etc. just produced as much as they could and the market absorbed it.

Different story now.

regards
Kimbll
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Brakeman  
#57 Posted : 30 June 2014 16:34:08(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Originally Posted by: I_love_Marklin_37538 Go to Quoted Post
I actually think Marklin should try the Japanese markets or Asian markets, great potential there

Right, just like they tried out in US market 10+ years ago.
It would need local models, which means news tooling. Just repainting exiting stock won't do it.
You need to spend money to make money!

Why is the hobby declining if population of the world is increasing all the time?

BR,
Juha
Offline Goofy  
#58 Posted : 30 June 2014 18:23:00(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Brakeman Go to Quoted Post

Why is the hobby declining if population of the world is increasing all the time?

BR,
Juha

Very simple!
The lesser money in the wally.
The nature recourse is getting smaller and smaller,while human race is expanding.
Money is made of trees or iron and symbols like numbers and alphabet is made of ink.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control