Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2014 20:34:45(UTC)
H0

The complete article (in German) can be found here:
http://www.stuttgarter-n...a-8a7b-27b4eeca486d.html

A few quotes (with unofficial translations from me):
'Der Modellbahnhersteller Märklin hat im Geschäftsjahr 2013 deutlich weniger Umsatz gemacht als ursprünglich vorgesehen. „Es war ein Gesamtumsatz von 112 Millionen Euro geplant, wir sind auf 105 Millionen gekommen.“'

They planned sales of 112 million € for 2013, but achieved only 105 million €.

'Märklin verbucht im ersten Quartal über die Hälfte des Gesamtauftragseingangs eines Jahres. Dass Märklin seit diesem Jahr keine großzügigen Sonderkonditionen mehr vergibt, spürt das Unternehmen. Beim Auftragseingang liege Märklin im einstelligen Prozentbereich unter dem Vorjahresniveau, sagt Sieber.'

Märklin registers more than half of the annual orders during the first quarter of a year. The end of generous special conditions has affected the pre-orders. Orders were below last year's orders by a single-digit percent value, said Sieber.

'2014 dürfte demnach auch kein Wachstumsjahr werden.'

2014 is therefore likely to be a no growth year.

'Derzeit verlagert Märklin rund zehn Prozent der Produktion von China zurück nach Europa. '

At present, Märklin shift about ten percent of the production from China back to Europe.

'Im Oktober macht Märklin in Ungarn ein neues Werk auf. „Wir werden zusätzlich zu den bestehenden 600 Arbeitsplätzen weitere 50 Jobs schaffen“, sagt Sieber. In Göppingen entstehen wegen der Rückverlagerung der Produktion keine neuen Arbeitsplätze.'

In October Marklin opens a new plant in Hungary. "We create 50 new jobs in addition to the existing 600 jobs," says Sieber. The repatriation of production does not create new jobs in Göppingen.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 17 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2014 21:52:05(UTC)
H0

More quotes:

'Zusammen mit Märklin-Urgestein Wolfrad Bächle will Florian Sieber in den kommenden Jahren das Sortiment erneuern, die Produktpalette erweitern – insbesondere bei der Kinderlinie My World – und die Produktionsprozesse effektiver machen. „Das kann beispielsweise geschehen, in dem wir das Innenleben der Loks einheitlicher aufbauen“, so Sieber.'

Together with Märklin veteran Wolfrad Baechle Florian Sieber wants to renew in the next few years the range, expand the product range - especially in the children's line My World - and make the production processes more effective. "This can happen, for example, when we build the inner workings of the locomotives more uniform," said Sieber.

'„Wir haben intern noch viel Potenzial zur Kosteneinsparung, das wir dieses und nächstes Jahr heben können.“'

"We internally have a lot of potential for cost savings that we can raise this year and next."

(Comment: Cheaper production with identical retail prices leads to higher profits. Great plan - as long as it does not impact customer satisfaction in a negative way.
Uniform locos with the new three-pole standard motor? Great plan - as long as it does not impact customer satisfaction in a negative way. Or did they change their minds and are they going for five-pole standard motors now?)
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2014 22:00:03(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, common (and easily serviceable) "guts" was a Märklin hallmark for decades until some 15 years ago or so...

Standardisation of eg lighting & function electronics should be possible...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2014 22:01:13(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
It is already negatively, it's not time to make serious mistakes RollEyes
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jonas_sthlm
Offline rhtastro  
#5 Posted : 13 June 2014 23:14:31(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
M is missing a huge market in N America. Walk into many a model train store and ask for M. "What's that. They still around. I remember them way back somewhere." Lucky for us there are a few exceptions. M's agents over here have done a poor job for them. They missed the train, so to speak.

Sir Bob

Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rhtastro
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2014 15:06:52(UTC)
petestra

United States   
You're absolutely right, Sir Bob. I've been saying this for years. The old saying is so true. If you

want to make a dollar you've got to spend a dollar. I think that the M management over the years

has just been too scared to make a big move here in N.A.. Yes, it is a gamble but risks need to be made in

business to grow a company to worldwide status. They need a good marketing firm. Peter Smile
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Hackcell  
#7 Posted : 15 June 2014 09:41:12(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
I think M's big move to take a bigger part of the american (meaning the whole continent) would be to produce recent, US based locomotives and cars.

I would gladly pay some hundreds of dollars for a die cast Dash 9 or an Evo locomotive. Superior quality over current US made, plastic models.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 15 June 2014 10:26:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Maybe Walthers should have done a better job of marketting Marklin?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 15 June 2014 12:23:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I suspect Walthers are just 'Clipping the Ticket'.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
H0
Offline kweekalot  
#10 Posted : 15 June 2014 14:22:09(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
See also the comment from forum member 'Moritz-BR365' under the artikle on the website 'Stuttgarter-nachrichten.de'. BigGrin

LINK
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 15 June 2014 15:23:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Everybody blames their own personal pet hate for any hiccup in Märklin's business.

3 pole motors? Maybe a small percentage of the very fussy techno-savvy will be put off...

Disappointing rendition of the Dm 3? Maybe some Scandinavians might be affected, but unlikely to affect global sales....

Poor marketting in north america? To improve this would need more money spent in the short term, with unclear benefits, as americans tend to prefer to model US prototypes in 2 rail...

I think the real problem is that less people are buying model trains. There's not a single model train manufacturer that is not struggling today. The present strategy being pursued by Marklin is probably as good as any. Let them economise where they can. A beautiful new model with a couple of deficiencies is better than no new models because the company has gone bust.

Ray
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline foumaro  
#12 Posted : 15 June 2014 15:45:17(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Maybe Ray is right.The average age of the people who like trains grows up and i do not see young people like our hobby.My son is 20 years old,i have the trains till the day he was born,he do not spend even a minute for them.Maybe the economic problems those all Europe have are another problem too.These problems are more tough to the countries of the south.Lets's hope these conditions became better for all the world.
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#13 Posted : 15 June 2014 16:12:27(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
See also the comment from forum member 'Moritz-BR365' under the artikle on the website 'Stuttgarter-nachrichten.de'. BigGrin

LINK

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 15 June 2014 16:19:49(UTC)
Goofy

The real problem is customer with standard economy who use trains as hobby.
The trains as hobby has become expensive and mostley of the customer needs months to save money,before to shop trains.
A trainset cost about 600-800 euro,which digs an deep hole in the wally for customer.
In this case,it makes lesser sell for the trains from hobby store.
So to keep business alive,we need hobby store to offer customer installments,by dividing up sum.
It makes faster to sell the trains.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#15 Posted : 15 June 2014 16:31:41(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
The trains as hobby has become expensive and mostley of the customer needs months to save money,before to shop trains.

Model railway has not become more expensive than 30 years before.

For example, I bought my last Märklin Locomotive in 1986 when I was 15 years old. It was the Märklin 3329 E191, standard 3-pole motor, no digital decoder, bulp lights. The standard price was 299,- DM or 150€. I payed 250DM as special offer.

Now, a comparable new 191 would have a price of 300€, but it will come with digital sound decoder, LED lights and high performance motor.

If you calculate the inflation rate, the 191 would not be more expensive in 2014 as it was in 1986.

Fact is:
- Model railway is an expensive hobby and it was always an expensive hobby.
- Today, electronic stuff like Mobile Phones, Tablets, Home PC, ... has become more relevant for young people.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline Goofy  
#16 Posted : 15 June 2014 17:28:05(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post

Model railway has not become more expensive than 30 years before.

For example, I bought my last Märklin Locomotive in 1986 when I was 15 years old. It was the Märklin 3329 E191, standard 3-pole motor, no digital decoder, bulp lights. The standard price was 299,- DM or 150€. I payed 250DM as special offer.

Now, a comparable new 191 would have a price of 300€, but it will come with digital sound decoder, LED lights and high performance motor.

If you calculate the inflation rate, the 191 would not be more expensive in 2014 as it was in 1986.

Fact is:
- Model railway is an expensive hobby and it was always an expensive hobby.
- Today, electronic stuff like Mobile Phones, Tablets, Home PC, ... has become more relevant for young people.

Mostley of the electronics produce in asia,where payment is cheap.
But the prices is reaching when products arrives to us.
In also fact...we have high taxes and lesser money too.
Of course does electronics makes an big rules,to make lesser interesting in trains as hobby.
But also does cost like everything.

H0
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 15 June 2014 17:38:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
There's not a single model train manufacturer that is not struggling today.
How about Piko? IIRC they presented positive sales figures for years now.

The present strategy being pursued by Marklin is probably as good as any. Let them economise where they can. A beautiful new model with a couple of deficiencies is better than no new models because the company has gone bust.
There was no strategy after the insolvency: they tactically tried to present growing sales figures year by year while trying to find a buyer for the company.
They achieved this by overproduction - overproduction that was dumped into the marked with huge discounts.
This was not good for the reputation of Märklin.

They stopped dumping products about a year ago. No surprise that sales figures were affected.

They economise where they can. I economise where I can.

They talked a lot about five-pole motors recently. They take the "small percentage" somewhat serious.

Trix is two-rail. Maybe they should advertise this as "Trix by Märklin" (like there is "Liliput by Bachmann") on markets where Märklin has a better reputation than Trix.

Walthers do not want to invest money advertising Märklin - with many small dealers ordering directly from Europe and not through Walthers, others would also benefit from the advertising.

It's a shrinking market. Still companies can keep their market share or even increase it.
Märklin my world is meant to increase the market by getting more toy money for MRR products.

The July MRR magazines are out.
Piko's BR 245 got a very good review.

Märklin's BR 42.90 got a rather bad review.

Märklin's BR VT 95.9 got reviews that criticized several aspects, especially the sound. The economised decoders might cost them a few sales now.

Would be more economical to do it right the first time - it's more expensive to do it twice.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#18 Posted : 15 June 2014 18:39:35(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

The July MRR magazines are out.
Piko's BR 245 got a very good review.

Märklin's BR 42.90 got a rather bad review.

Märklin's BR VT 95.9 got reviews that criticized several aspects, especially the sound. The economised decoders might cost them a few sales now.

Would be more economical to do it right the first time - it's more expensive to do it twice.

Piko´s model made in China...?
Piko´s model is made of plastic,which makes lesser expensive.
Piko´s models brokens sometimes,while Märklins trains is stronger.
It makes big difference to equals too,if you did present like that!
Märklins decoder is cheap and bad.
But that is Märklins board problems to fix it.
Most critical comes from customer and Märklin knows the problems to fix it,but as i did wrote...it´s board problems.

H0
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#19 Posted : 15 June 2014 19:33:14(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   

Look on the review in the Miba. The sound is disappointing and the slots in the front window frames are not best of class.

Märklin knows the critics on the broken window frames since years. Why didn't they change this?

Why can't they create a more satisfying sound?

Well, when the VT 95.9 is sold out like the VT 75.9, I will buy one. But not for 379,95€ but for 160€, like I payed for the 37705BigGrin

Offline sjlauritsen  
#20 Posted : 15 June 2014 19:36:57(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
With regards to North America, I think it would be a waste of time to push three rail there. IMO North America is a two-rail continent. I would expect them not to be interested in running three rail. Perhaps it would be an idea to push Trix there.

From my 2-rail chair, I think Märklin should be more in competition with itself. If I owned the company I would not neglect Trix the way I think they do.

3-rail is only half the market. I would have the teams compete head to head. If the Trix team steals customers from 3-rail to 2-rail so be it! IMO Märklin has some of the coolest and most interesting starter sets available. What do Trix have? A sad branch line starter set and a sad freight train set, soon they will have an Intercity train with 1:100 coaches and a Hobby Ludmilla with yellow LEDs - analog of course. If I walk into a store, and I am going for 2-rail, I would not look at the Märklin set. I will look at the Trix set, and then I will notice that Roco has some even cooler sets and buy one of those. Money lost!

Märklin should deliver some cool Trix starter sets to compete with those from Roco and PIKO. I mean you could at least loose money to your own sub divisions. People going for 2-rail will not consider 3-rail anyway.

The Trix line should be more like its 2-rail competitors, IMO this means stop trying to be all about collector's edition, "the model is made of metal" and collector this and that. Neither me or my 2-rail friends cares about this. They weather their models anyway. Be more like: "Here's a BR 01, you can get it without a decoder, or digital with sound".

Completely stop using old technology (like the old boggie-motors) in Trix models. Simply stop. It is not worth it, you can always get a better motor in a model from Roco or another competitor. The majority of 2-rail customers do not collect a specific brand, they collect models of prototypes. They will not hesitate a second to look somewhere else if your model is average compared to others. Old technology like the boggie motors is a no go for me and my friends.

Push the Märklin digital system into the 2-rail world with focus on its DCC-features. Märklin informs about this, but not very visible. Inform people of its features. I try to do this through my website, and I get feedback from people who had no clue that the Märklin digital system was even an option, but now that they know, they will consider it. I have two friends who after seing my system are now going for the MS2. Why have they not considered it before? Easy - they did not know it was an option. It almost seems like Märklin try to push mfx into the 2-rail world instead. I am pretty sure this will fail, simply because DCC dominates the 2-rail world.

Get the Trix C track into people's minds. I know that not many 2-rail customers run on a track like that, but those that do should know that the Trix C track is by far the best there is (my opinion at least). In Europe the only real alternative is Roco's GeoLine which has an El Cheapo feel to it. The Fleischmann track is old, outdated and expensive.

You can do all of the above and still share the development and benefit from that. All of the above is only about changing the way you communicate your product line to different target audiences.

I know my points are from a 2-rail perspective, but since Märklin operates in both worlds, I think they matter just as much as 3-rail perspectives. Smile
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 15 June 2014 20:23:23(UTC)
H0

A compilation of google results: Märklin sales figures.

Sales 2002: 170 Mio. €
Sales 2008: 128 Mio. €
Sales 2009: 111.2 Mio. €
Sales 2010: 105.7 Mio. €, EBIT 10.1 Mio. € (+ 2 Mio. €)
Sales 2011: 108.77 Mio. € (+1.64%), EBIT 12.36 Mio € (+12.6%)
Sales 2012: 109 Mio. € or 107 Mio. €, EBIT about 10 Mio. €
December 2013: Märklin announce that sales 2013 will be lower than expected, but still slightly higher than 2012.
Sales 2013: 105 Mio. € (plan: 112 Mio. €) [lower than 2012 sales]
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#22 Posted : 15 June 2014 21:43:38(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Wondering how it goes for Roco/Fleischmann with plenty in stock and recurring sales...
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline mike c  
#23 Posted : 16 June 2014 00:16:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was very disappointed with my last Maerklin loco which arrived with missing wiring. As a consequence, I decided that the push-pull consist that I had planned around it would be running with models from a competitor. This presents itself as a small windfall for one company and a lost sale for Maerklin. I will keep the Maerklin loco when it is shipped back, but it will be an orphan and not one half of a two headed S-Bahn consist.

I don't know how many other modellers have had similar experiences, but I hope that Maerklin steps up their quality control quickly.

As far as other companies, I have been wondering how the e-Shop concept has been working out for RoFl?

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 16 June 2014 08:14:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I don't know how many other modellers have had similar experiences, but I hope that Maerklin steps up their quality control quickly.
"Maybe a small percentage of the very fussy techno-savvy will be put off..."

Maybe we can make a poll. "Do you trust Märklin quality as much as you trusted it six years ago?"
And only those who bought Märklin items introduced 2011 or later will be allowed to vote ...

I joined the Märklin Insider Club to get my hands on pre-order forms for Insider models.
Now that the models come with economised decoders and economised (meaningless) product description and way too often with economised motors, I stopped pre-ordering any powered rolling stock from a certain market leader. Economised quality assurance also plays a role here.
Most likely I will economise my club membership later this year (joining the Outsider Club is the economic alternative).

They've lost my trust, now they lose my money. To win back my money they have to win back my trust.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#25 Posted : 16 June 2014 09:29:04(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Most likely I will economise my club membership later this year (joining the Outsider Club is the economic alternative).

You should become meber of the Stummi Admin clubBigGrin. Then, all doubts and qualms in Märklins quality should be blown away like dust in the wind and You can stay as Insider Club member with endless happinessWink

Offline GlennM  
#26 Posted : 17 June 2014 15:16:20(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
If I may offer some observations to add to the debate;

1) Outside of the core of European countries I do not believe that Agents have represented Marklin as they should. The Agent's in the UK for past 10 years have been rubbish, and I understand the the same applies in the USA. I would observe that Marklin is centralized on its core support, and does not realize that there is a huge world out there, some of which would like to buy Marklin.

2) If Marklin continue to product 100% in Germany, the price of locos would realistically increase by 50%, and I doubt it would be long before they cost double the current price. We need to accept that production in the EU is now almost impossible due to cost, and with more and more regulation being implemented these costs will only rise even further. Marklin need to find other bases to manufacture to keep the prices even vaguely realistic. There will be some success and some failure along the way.

3) I would observe by the frustration vented on this site, that Marklin seemingly do not listen to their customers and perhaps could benefit from a real active feedback policy.

4) Finally, I have said on this Forum before and I repeat my opinion, that there is a place for model railways in today's world, people often cite Games consoles as the death of more traditional pursuits, but when was the last time you saw a tv advert for a model train. Today's kids are bombarded by ceaseless advertising to buy the latest gadget or game, and are often ignorant of other items in the market place. I can say from my own experience, that my son enjoys playing with his games console, but then he gets bored or tired of playing the same thing over and over and looks for other pastimes, and he can often be found do something to do with trains of his own choosing. I have also seen the excitement generated when other children have seen our trains running or at exhibitions were other children get genuine excitement watching various layouts.

As an observation, I would note that for a lot of modern families, games consoles are an easy fix for parents, the kids ask for them, they get put in the children's bedrooms and parents can send their kids off to their rooms and its peace and quiet time, or time for the parents to do something they want to do. Model railways requires parents to spend time and to be patient, and to interact with their children, and I am not sure that genuinely a lot of parents really want to do this, especially if the parent is not interested in trains, and would prefer to be out at the gym, the pub, playing golf or simply watching TV.

I think with advances in digital technology trains are just as exiting as they always were, and believe there is a healthy market for these products, but believe that its parental choices and lifestyles that affect its popularity as much as the children themselves.

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline RayF  
#27 Posted : 17 June 2014 16:37:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Glenn, I couldn't agree more.

Part of the reasons for the drop of interest is also that there is a certain amount of negative opinion in some quarters, and this is very true in the UK, about whether playing trains is "cool" or not. The way the phrase "Trainspotter" has come to mean someone who is boring and needs to get a life has seriously damaged the image of those who enjoy trains, whether full size or model.

When I mention to friends that I was operating my layout they tend to tease me with remarks implying that I wore an engine driver's cap, blew a whistle and waved flags every time I did so. They also associate model trains with Thomas the Tank Engine and similar products aimed at children.

This negative image has now so pervaded the younger generation that it is going to be difficult to attract new enthusiasts to the hobby once they start to reach adolescence.

In contrast, other modelling hobbies, such as military modelling, model aircraft and model boats, don't seem to attract the same criticisms.
Ray
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline sjlauritsen  
#28 Posted : 17 June 2014 17:07:43(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Hi Glenn

Thank you for your comment.

Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post
Model railways requires parents to spend time and to be patient, and to interact with their children, and I am not sure that genuinely a lot of parents really want to do this, especially if the parent is not interested in trains, and would prefer to be out at the gym, the pub, playing golf or simply watching TV.

I think children should be their main concern. At our model railway exhibits we always have some kind of play area (e.g. an LGB train or some other form of large scale train). At some point we had a "Märklin - Paint your own wagon" booth. The kids would get a white unpainted container wagon, sit down and paint it with colours. Mum usually stay there, while dad looks at "trains for grown ups". Those kind of events are hugely popular.

One time I noticed a little boy who were extremely fascinated by the LGB train and wanted to play with it all the time. His mum where like "Oh my, I had no idea that he had these kind of interests". And I thought to myself, how would you know, if you are one of those parents who just give your kid an iPad and leave them to it. For the record, I do not know if she was like that, but I did wonder on how you cannot know what kind of stuff your kid likes. Perhaps its just me, but I would like to think that I would know.
Søren from Denmark
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Hackcell  
#29 Posted : 17 June 2014 17:21:24(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
Hi Glenn

Model railways requires parents to spend time and to be patient, and to interact with their children, and I am not sure that genuinely a lot of parents really want to do this, especially if the parent is not interested in trains, and would prefer to be out at the gym, the pub, playing golf or simply watching TV.

I think children should be their main concern. At our model railway exhibits we always have some kind of play area (e.g. an LGB train or some other form of large scale train). At some point we had a "Märklin - Paint your own wagon" booth. The kids would get a white unpainted container wagon, sit down and paint it with colours. Mum usually stay there, while dad looks at "trains for grown ups". Those kind of events are hugely popular.

One time I noticed a little boy who were extremely fascinated by the LGB train and wanted to play with it all the time. His mum where like "Oh my, I had no idea that he had these kind of interests". And I thought to myself, how would you know, if you are one of those parents who just give your kid an iPad and leave them to it. For the record, I do not know if she was like that, but I did wonder on how you cannot know what kind of stuff your kid likes. Perhaps its just me, but I would like to think that I would know.

Agreed.

Back in the end of the 90s Lego was about to go bankrupt because of poor sales. What happened in the 2000s? The 80s boys became adults with their own salaries and they remembered their lego sets. BOOM!! Lego started to sell like crazy again. I see friends (30+ years) buying legos for them and their children.

M should take the same approach, without neglecting the adult-focused market they already have.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline sjlauritsen  
#30 Posted : 17 June 2014 17:22:01(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
This negative image has now so pervaded the younger generation that it is going to be difficult to attract new enthusiasts to the hobby once they start to reach adolescence.
In contrast, other modelling hobbies, such as military modelling, model aircraft and model boats, don't seem to attract the same criticisms.

I agree. Which is also why I think it is really important to spread the word - so to speak - on what else model railways can be. To me it is important to show people what I do with my hobby, and what I like about it.

From friends and colleagues I also get a lot of the comments you mention "do you use a whistle?", "do you wear a cap?" etc. I do not know why people's thoughts about model railways have become so silly, but my experience is that just being honest on what I actually do, people are actually interested in hearing about it. I think a hobby is great personal value and having one is a gift.

That being said I do see a lot of younger people on our exhibitions. They are out there.
Søren from Denmark
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline sjlauritsen  
#31 Posted : 17 June 2014 17:34:34(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
Back in the end of the 90s Lego was about to go bankrupt because of poor sales. What happened in the 2000s? The 80s boys became adults with their own salaries and they remembered their lego sets. BOOM!! Lego started to sell like crazy again. I see friends (30+ years) buying legos for them and their children.

M should take the same approach, without neglecting the adult-focused market they already have.

I think the Märklin MyWorld series have a bit of the LEGO-idea to it. Especially the sets where you can "click" a diesel shell on one day, and a steam shell another day. I would have loved that set when I was a little boy.

I love the fact that the wheels are plastic. This means that a dad can buy a MyWorld train and run it on his 2-rail layout with his son. I would imagine that there is no greater pleasure for a little boy than to see his own train run on dad's layout.
Søren from Denmark
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Goofy  
#32 Posted : 17 June 2014 17:38:49(UTC)
Goofy

1.More competitors with 3 rail models.
2.Technology like mobilphones,wargames,internet...etc
3.Higher taxes and bad economy
4.Bad deal for customers who installments because of expensive goods.

Did i missed something more?? Confused
H0
Offline danmarklinman  
#33 Posted : 17 June 2014 18:59:54(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
1.More competitors with 3 rail models.
2.Technology like mobilphones,wargames,internet...etc
3.Higher taxes and bad economy
4.Bad deal for customers who installments because of expensive goods.

Did i missed something more?? Confused

I see the forum is back to its doom and gloom again, just a thought, are sales down because of what Marklin make, or are they down because many of the older gentlemen have passed away leaving the fourty something's and the children?

Also do we know what Rocos sales are like?
I'm guessing that Pikos remain strong and Rocos are slipping as well. I have know idear?
One thing is for sure in the UK, is that Bachmann are putting prices up by 20% perhaps for the next 5 years. Making there prices catch up with Others. And as a local model shop owner said. This will put allot of old boys off from buying it as they are not use to high priced European model trains? In other words they will buy second hand instead. Killing the market perhaps? Did eBay or is enay making it difficult for Marklin when they talk about collecting?
I am happy with my Marklin, and I know others have had problems. Let's not loose sight that if you buy other makes to keep you collection in one country of origin, then you are perhaps more of a die hard rail fan? But if you don't give a toss what runs through your station and it wizzes around your layout giving you the fun. Those watching are just going to see a shiny metal train, which will as I have found with my frends, family and work mates just as much amuisememt.
So if you pick fault with anything , you will find fault with everything and it will not be fun any more like this grumpy forumLOL
Ps if your old you will find it difficult to put small parts on??
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline RayF  
#34 Posted : 17 June 2014 20:15:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Great post Dan! BigGrin
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Hoffmann  
#35 Posted : 17 June 2014 22:24:08(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

HI all,

I was hesitant to post because it seem to become a Topic -- I told you so Marklin -- however here are some Facts you may not know..

: Roco/Fleischman Sales were up several % points in 2013 at little more then 50 million Euro this compares to over 100 million Euro for Marklin.

: Marklin has reduced their workforce by over 400 Workers in the past few Years which would have increased their Profits even if overall sales are a few % less.

: The drop in Sales for the Year 2013 had nothing to do with Motors in the Locomotives ( Dealers would have placed their Orders long before that controversy ).

: The Internet can by a great Boom or Bust for a Company ( when a 100 Customers complain about the Products of a Company on the net everyone jumps on the Bandwagon even though 100000 Customers have no complains ).

: One more Fact , as far as I know Marklin has by far the best Warranty in the Model Train business ( who else would exchange or repair a Item which is 10 Years old-- Turnout Motors --).

To close,

Yes Marklin Marketing could be a lot better-Yes Marklin Quality could be a lot better- Yes Marklin Prices could be a lot better and so on.

Regards Martin
marklin-eh
Offline danmarklinman  
#36 Posted : 17 June 2014 22:46:03(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi sorry, have I got this right. Marklin sales were up by 1 million euros and rocos 50 million euros?
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline H0  
#37 Posted : 17 June 2014 23:40:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Hoffmann Go to Quoted Post
: The drop in Sales for the Year 2013 had nothing to do with Motors in the Locomotives ( Dealers would have placed their Orders long before that controversy ).
This is pure speculation.
The new motors came 2011 and complaints about the new motors started in 2011.

Dealers placed fewer orders in Q1/2014 than they did in Q1/2013. Economised motors and missing cables may have had an impact on that negative growth. Pure speculation because we don't have insider information.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#38 Posted : 17 June 2014 23:42:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Hi sorry, have I got this right. Marklin sales were up by 1 million euros and rocos 50 million euros?

No that's not what it says. Roco sold 50 million and Marklin sold 100 million.
Ray
Offline danmarklinman  
#39 Posted : 18 June 2014 00:13:53(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

No that's not what it says. Roco sold 50 million and Marklin sold 100 million.

That's surprising, I would have thought that Roco would out sell Marklin.
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline H0  
#40 Posted : 18 June 2014 00:16:41(UTC)
H0

2) If Marklin continue to product 100% in Germany, the price of locos would realistically increase by 50%
They gave up "Made in Germany" labels several years ago. "Made in Germany" can be used for items if more than 50% were made in Germany.
Märklin's production went to China (with a massive increase 2007 when they closed Sonneberg, partially closed Nuremberg, and reduced workforce at Göppingen). Still prices went up. Now production is partially going to Hungary - and prices still go up.

[...] but when was the last time you saw a tv advert for a model train.
I estimate that 1 minute of prime time TV advertising will eat the profit of 10,000 battery-powered my world starter sets (maybe just 5,000 or even less - I don't know how profitable these non-EU starter sets really are).
Will one minute of TV advertising generate enough extra sales to be profitable?
Märklin is too small for TV ads.

For about the price of 1 minute prime time TV advertising, you can hire a BR 101 loco as a moving billboard for one year.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#41 Posted : 18 June 2014 00:50:50(UTC)
H0

That's surprising, I would have thought that Roco would out sell Marklin.
Märklin is the market leader.
RoFl is #2 (According to their web site, Roco is market leader in the two-rail market, Fleischmann is market leader in N gauge).

This information probably applies either to Germany or Europe.

In 2007 Märklin sales were about 11 through 12 % of the global MRR market.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#42 Posted : 18 June 2014 03:21:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post

The main difference with Lego is that in the 1970s and 80s Lego was packaged as blocks and sets with a variety of generic models that could be created from each set. Todays Lego consists of specialized pieces to make specific models and Lego has capitalized on cross marketing with movies and cartoons.

Maerklin is not in a position to do the same with trains.

I introduced my niece and nephew to Maerklin trains at a very early age. I wanted them to experience it before they were bombarded by the world of computer games, PCs and iPads, so that hopefully that memory would be engraved and would bring back memories every time they saw a train set.

These days, the kids are older and the parents have all of their events preplanned. Get home from school, do your homework, soccer, swimming or hockey, walk the dog and bedtime. Kids are no longer allowed to spend hours using their imaginations to make things out of Lego. I remember spending hours trying to figure out how to create jet engine pieces for a Lego model of a DC-8. We used to build a city and had police, fire stations, snow ploughs etc. Today, once the Death Star is built, how many kids take it apart and make something else out of the parts?

Maerklin needs to come up with a way to get the 4-8 year olds into trains and then market Maerklin in other ways (in video games, etc) so that when the kids are older and have spending money that maybe model trains becomes a thing to do.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#43 Posted : 18 June 2014 03:29:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I probably would have not become such a model train fan if it wasn't for my discovering new models in the early 1980s, which piqued my interest, followed by getting a part time job throughout my college years at a local hobby shop, coupled with a trip to Europe during that time. After college, the models became a living way to remember things I had seen on the trip and that association has never left me. To this day, almost each train in my collection recreates a memory that I have of a train I was on or that I saw during travels in Switzerland, whether it be the trains running along the shore of the Zurichsee in 1971, the Night Trains to Paris in the 1980s, the bright orange Eurofimas on the Gotthard, the fresh new EWIVs and EC coaches or the assorted FLIRT type trains from my most recent visits.

This is not something that Maerklin can market to somebody who has not seen the trains and in today's society where more and more trains are push-pull consists like the ICE, TGV or FLIRT, it will be harder and harder to market classic model RR to customers.

It's sad, but it is the truth.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#44 Posted : 18 June 2014 04:35:19(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
I don't have the ability (or knowledge) of how to look for old posts but I am confident that for 2012 and 2013 in the "Locomotives you have bought" topics, at this
stage of the year we had reached 12 or so pages. Only 3 for 2014.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jeremy Palmer
Offline RayF  
#45 Posted : 18 June 2014 10:55:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Jeremy Palmer Go to Quoted Post
I don't have the ability (or knowledge) of how to look for old posts but I am confident that for 2012 and 2013 in the "Locomotives you have bought" topics, at this

Hi Jeremy,

That's a good observation.

Many of the posts where members said they would not buy new Marklin this year also said that they would buy other brands or older Marklin instead, but we're not seeing these purchases being posted either.

I think that it's somehow become less popular to post pictures of your new locos this year. Either that or a lot less is being spent on new locos of any brand.

Could it be that the most prolific buyers are now reaching the limit of their collections? BigGrin
Ray
Offline petestra  
#46 Posted : 18 June 2014 15:19:53(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I bought or have ordered 5 new Loks this year including the Insider E93 Lok. I usually

introduce them in a video or photos. PeterSmile

37576 received E103 with sounds

37870 E93 Insider Lok, in stock but not shipped yet

39414 BR141 electric - due 3rd qrt

37442 E44 - due 3rd qrt

37600 V60 diesel - due 4th qrt

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline GlennM  
#47 Posted : 18 June 2014 16:12:58(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Glenn, I couldn't agree more.

Part of the reasons for the drop of interest is also that there is a certain amount of negative opinion in some quarters, and this is very true in the UK, about whether playing trains is "cool" or not. The way the phrase "Trainspotter" has come to mean someone who is boring and needs to get a life has seriously damaged the image of those who enjoy trains, whether full size or model.

When I mention to friends that I was operating my layout they tend to tease me with remarks implying that I wore an engine driver's cap, blew a whistle and waved flags every time I did so. They also associate model trains with Thomas the Tank Engine and similar products aimed at children.

Ray,

I would agree 100%. The term 'Trainspotter' is quite detrimental to the hobby, but yet collectors of classic (model) cars, or remote control cars planes, do not seem to attract such a 'negative' stigma.

I must confess that at first I did get a bit of stick from some friends when they found out that I had renewed my interest a couple of years back, but most have now been and seen my test layout, and the first comment is almost always something along the lines of;

"they are not as I had remembered them" or "oh they are not Hornby then"

and there is a genuine interest in the quality and functionality of the modern loco, especially if it is a smoking steamer, with sound.

Sadly no converts yet

BR

Glenn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#48 Posted : 18 June 2014 16:20:43(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
Hi Glenn

Soren,

I agree.

For what it is worth I started my son with LGB in our garden, it was only a summer layout, and weather permitting, he loved playing with it, and later when I required the Marklin bug he got involved also.

I think electronic games offer an easy solution to modern parents with busy lives, and I am sorry to say that it is my opinion that in the UK the amount of time parents spend with their children has fallen considerably in 30 years, and time spent on all hobbies has also fallen, most hobbies require parent and child interaction.

It has been my belief that each year it is manufacturers who tell the public through advertising what to buy, and that purchasing is generally not based upon what we the consumer would actually like to spend our time doing.

BR

Glenn
Offline GlennM  
#49 Posted : 18 June 2014 16:29:54(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jeremy Palmer Go to Quoted Post

Hi Jeremy,

That's a good observation.

Many of the posts where members said they would not buy new Marklin this year also said that they would buy other brands or older Marklin instead, but we're not seeing these purchases being posted either.

I think that it's somehow become less popular to post pictures of your new locos this year. Either that or a lot less is being spent on new locos of any brand.

Could it be that the most prolific buyers are now reaching the limit of their collections? BigGrin

Ray, et al

Just to add my twopenny worth; I have bought more 'new' Marklin (via a formal dealer) this year than in any year previously, the reason for this being I like the product as a whole and I like the new items and Insider models being introduced this year. I cannot wait for the all new NOHAB..................BRAVO Marklin!!!!!

I have just not gotten around to posting any images.

I also now that quite a few people used Image shack which has moved to a pay for service which may also have impacted on the number of pics posted.

BR

Glenn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline GlennM  
#50 Posted : 18 June 2014 16:41:39(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
2) If Marklin continue to product 100% in Germany, the price of locos would realistically increase by 50%
They gave up "Made in Germany" labels several years ago. "Made in Germany" can be used for items if more than 50% were made in Germany.
Märklin's production went to China (with a massive increase 2007 when they closed Sonneberg, partially closed Nuremberg, and reduced workforce at Göppingen). Still prices went up. Now production is partially going to Hungary - and prices still go up.

[...] but when was the last time you saw a tv advert for a model train.
I estimate that 1 minute of prime time TV advertising will eat the profit of 10,000 battery-powered my world starter sets (maybe just 5,000 or even less - I don't know how profitable these non-EU starter sets really are).
Will one minute of TV advertising generate enough extra sales to be profitable?
Märklin is too small for TV ads.

For about the price of 1 minute prime time TV advertising, you can hire a BR 101 loco as a moving billboard for one year.

Tom,

I appreciate that costs continue to rise and rise, but this is as a result of price increases across the board, even in the so called developing countries. The main issue that often gets overlooked, is that the cost of living and complying with the (often) over burdening legislation within the EU is putting so much pressure on manufacturing that these companies have to diversify to survive. It would not harm Germany's overall taxation review to give some form of tax incentive to companies like Marklin who represent all that is good about MRR manufacturing and to protect the skill base involved in its development and production.

I agree with your comments concerning TV advertising and I am not suggesting that Marklin should embark upon a major advertising campaign, but my comment was more a reflection of how society has become driven by advertising and in fact just how pervasive advertising has become, and its net affect on peoples purchasing habits as a result of such advertising.

In UK (outside of an MRR event or specific publication) I cannot remember the last time I saw an advert in any format relating to MRR, and yet for example if you take Microsoft Xbox One, there are adverts, in shops, bus shelters, buses themselves, sign boards, newspapers, TV, magazines, and on the internet they are everywhere on almost all sites with advertising, in fact in UK right now you cannot avoid adverts for Games Consoles such as Xbox and PS4, I would propose it has become pervasive. How can Marklin compete with this, but this is not to say that there are not children out there who want to have a choice and want to play with MRR.

Advertising was supposed to inform the public about choice in the market place, but I would say that in some cases big companies like Microsoft are in fact taking up so much advertising capacity that they are in reality stifling the market, and removing competitive choice.

BR

Glenn