Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MalinAC  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2014 13:52:56(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Can anybody post pictures of the diffeerent types of crocodile. I was under the impression that all the 2-6-6-2 were the same and that the 2-4-4-2 was classed as the baby croc or have I got it wrong again. Im sure I saw on one of the posts a few crocs were showing and one was refered to as a small croc even though it was 2-6-6-2. As I dont have one in my collection , but want one Id like to know what to look for. Thanks for your help and take it easy out there. EddieConfused
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2014 14:32:24(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Eddie,

Swiss 2-6-6-2 type "Crocodiles" can be said to be small or large depending of the model in H0 scale. Actually the "large" ones are not in correct H0 scale and these are the ones based on old Märklin CCS 800 and 3015 models. There is one analog brown "large" one 30159 that was the Insider model in 1996. Other than these there are the digital version of this brown "large" insider model = 36159. There are also green and white "large" Crocodiles in the sets 31859 and 31860. All of these are full metal models with large motor in the middle and cardan shafts supply the power to all large driving wheels (6 wheels per side).

The smaller correct H0 1:87 scale Crocodiles are made in many, many versions. Some of the earlier versions were analog and had a plastic body. In 3300 set there were a metalbody Swiss Crocodile with an German Crocodile. Almost all are metal models and their prototype is Be 6/8 III, Ce 6/8 II or Ce 6/8 III. There have been many different liveries like different green ones, brown ones, black (fantasy) ones, blue (fantasy?) one...

The newest Ce 6/8 II models have two motors and again all large driving wheels (12 in total) are driven by these two motors. Before these ones all the Be 6/8 III and Ce 6/8 III models had only one motor and 6 driving wheels (other ends larger wheels). The other ends larger wheels were running freely without any supplied power from the motor.

Here some examples:

3756 green full metal with DCM 5-pole motor. Made in two versions Be 6/8 III and Ce 6/8 III. These are from the 1990's and digital, no mfx.

39560 green full metal with C-Sinus motor. 39561 brown full metal with C-Sinus motor. These are both Ce 6/8 III and made in 2000's. Digital, no mfx.

39563 green full metal with SDS motor, 39565 brown full metal with SDS motor. These are also both Ce 6/8 III and made later than the example models above. Digital with mfx. 39563 has only whistle sound and 39565 has full sounds.

37565 green and brown Ce 6/8 II newest type two motored Crocodiles. Digital, full sounds and mfx.

By writing these model numbers of these Crocodiles you can see more details or photos from Google. RollEyes

You are right that there is also the Swiss "baby Crocodile" having 2-4-4-2 wheel arrangement. There are some versions of this too and all are full metal.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline MalinAC  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2014 15:08:59(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Thanks very much Janne, I will Google in all the numbers and then drool all day. Remember to KEEP IT BETWEEN THE HEDGES. Take care Eddie Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 08 June 2014 15:25:52(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eddie,

...and white "large" Crocodiles in the sets 31859 and 31860.

Regards,
Janne

These large white Crocodiles are absolute stunning. While a fantasy livery, the white body and fine printed details with blue pinstripe panel outlines and window frames plus the gold grab handles, is simply sublime. The best looking Croc Marklin have ever made. These set lokos come up for sale individually from time to time.

Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#5 Posted : 08 June 2014 15:57:54(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Can anybody post pictures of the diffeerent types of crocodile. I was under the impression that all the 2-6-6-2 were the same and that the 2-4-4-2 was classed as the baby croc or have I got it wrong again. Im sure I saw on one of the posts a few crocs were showing and one was refered to as a small croc even though it was 2-6-6-2. As I dont have one in my collection , but want one Id like to know what to look for. Thanks for your help and take it easy out there. EddieConfused

hi Eddie - Not exactly information - more of a warning really. The only way to really find out about these loveable animals is to have a few and yes they do multiplyBigGrin BigGrin . I was bitten so badly I even got a big one - a really big one.

Jeremy Palmer attached the following image(s):
NYC.jpg
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Jeremy Palmer
Offline shamrock  
#6 Posted : 08 June 2014 16:51:34(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
What's better than a Krokodil? Two Krocs! Better than two? A whole farm!!!

Here are a few I've seen, pick your poison. Love I have the 39560 which is solid and wonderful on the track.

CS2/C-Track digital turnouts/Collection back to 1948/Current favorites on track: KPEV T16.1 37166, BR 53 37024, Ae 6/6 11453, Krok 39560
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by shamrock
Offline GlennM  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2014 19:36:31(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Eddie,

The croc principally refers to the Swiss Ce 6/8 (in all it's variants) some wonderful photos of which you have posted.

Then you have the traditional 'German Croc' [E94 / BR194];

UserPostedImage

I also believe the new E93 will also qualify as a Croc............................

UserPostedImage

And then you have the Swiss De 6/6 'Seetal Croc';

UserPostedImage[Thanks to Forum member DV for the photo]

And to finish [I am sure I missed one someone will correct my post if I have] BR E70, Bayerische EG2

UserPostedImage[Thanks to Forum member Kimballthurlow for the photo]

All the best

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline danmarklinman  
#8 Posted : 22 June 2014 22:45:14(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
How about 37337 sometimes known as the French croc
danmarklinman attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline vilithejou  
#9 Posted : 23 June 2014 16:52:41(UTC)
vilithejou

And GG1 Pennsylvania

Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 23 June 2014 17:11:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Strictly speaking the term crocodile should only be applied to articulated locos, so the French BB12000 and the Pennsy GG1 are not true crocodiles.

All the others mentioned, plus the Spanish 7200 class I believe can be called "Crocs".

UserPostedImage

However, if you want to call a GG1 or 12000 a "croc" then that's your prerogative!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline MalinAC  
#11 Posted : 23 June 2014 19:46:49(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
If you are talking about crocs how come nobody mentioned the Austrian 1189 croc which I think is an equal for any of the Swiss crocs if not better at least in the looks department. Just my opinion . Take care Eddie Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Glare Glare Glare Glare Glare
Offline Janne75  
#12 Posted : 23 June 2014 20:37:20(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
If you are talking about crocs how come nobody mentioned the Austrian 1189 croc which I think is an equal for any of the Swiss crocs if not better at least in the looks department. Just my opinion . Take care Eddie Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Glare Glare Glare Glare Glare

Hi Eddie,

See post #6 in this topic and the fourth photo in it. There is an Austian Crocodile. In my opinion red siderods looks better in black "fantasy Crocodile" having also red wheels than green Austrian Crocodile with black wheels, but this is just my opinion.

The original nick name "Crocodile" should be used for locomotives with articulated frames and siderods. So even German E94 or BR E 194 ones are not real "Crocodiles" in my opinion as they don't have siderods. But Swiss Be 6/8 III, Ce 6/8 II, Ce 6/8 III and De 6/6 "Baby Crocodiles" are "the real ones" ThumpUp . Other forum members may disagree... RollEyes Wink

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline steventrain  
#13 Posted : 23 June 2014 21:04:31(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Strictly speaking the term crocodile should only be applied to articulated locos, so the French BB12000 and the Pennsy GG1 are not true crocodiles.

All the others mentioned, plus the Spanish 7200 class I believe can be called "Crocs".

UserPostedImage

However, if you want to call a GG1 or 12000 a "croc" then that's your prerogative!

Very long loco!, Will it run on 1st radius curved?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline danmarklinman  
#14 Posted : 23 June 2014 23:11:10(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post

Hi Eddie,

See post #6 in this topic and the fourth photo in it. There is an Austian Crocodile. In my opinion red siderods looks better in black "fantasy Crocodile" having also red wheels than green Austrian Crocodile with black wheels, but this is just my opinion.

The original nick name "Crocodile" should be used for locomotives with articulated frames and siderods. So even German E94 or BR E 194 ones are not real "Crocodiles" in my opinion as they don't have siderods. But Swiss Be 6/8 III, Ce 6/8 II, Ce 6/8 III and De 6/6 "Baby Crocodiles" are "the real ones" ThumpUp . Other forum members may disagree... RollEyes Wink

Cheers,
Janne

I agree Janne, I only put the flat iron in the mix, as I don't own a Marklin croc yetCrying I will get there thoe. And I can become a proud owner.LOL
I have mentioned before on the forum that I would like the heavy shunter conversion of the croc. Can you tell me if these crocs were the same type, which has recently been new tooling by Marklin, or the older tooling. I now it's been done in Gauge one by them. And by that other make in HOFlapper But I want a nice metal Marklin oneBigGrin

danmarklinman attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline foumaro  
#15 Posted : 24 June 2014 08:30:45(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   

Maybe she is too big to be a crocodile.ThumpUp
Offline MalinAC  
#16 Posted : 24 June 2014 08:40:51(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Thanks guys , I stand corrected. EddieConfused Confused Confused Confused Confused
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#17 Posted : 24 June 2014 08:52:24(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Here is my 3352:

UserPostedImage

The 3352 is a standard analog version with 3-pole drum collector motor. I bought this model as used and already equipped with a Esu LokPilot decoder. Later, I converted the motor to the HLA 5-pole motor, added ball bearings.

Now, the Coroco runs very smooth, very silent:

Report about the HLA conversion: https://www.marklin-user...aring-and-HLA-motor.aspx
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline Janne75  
#18 Posted : 24 June 2014 09:41:57(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post

I agree Janne, I only put the flat iron in the mix, as I don't own a Marklin croc yetCrying I will get there thoe. And I can become a proud owner.LOL
I have mentioned before on the forum that I would like the heavy shunter conversion of the croc. Can you tell me if these crocs were the same type, which has recently been new tooling by Marklin, or the older tooling. I now it's been done in Gauge one by them. And by that other make in HOFlapper But I want a nice metal Marklin oneBigGrin

Shunting Crocodile (1 scale 1:32 one) is the Ce 6/8 II type so the same type as the newest tooling H0 scale 1:87 two motor versions. But there is not yet this model having only one pantograph in H0 scale available from Märklin. Maybe later they will produce this as it should not be too difficult to do the modifications to be able to sell this version also.

Cheers,
Janne

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75