Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 02 June 2014 03:54:59(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Guys,

Yesterday I went silly again (EvilBay) and got a 39230 BR 23 for what I considered a more than fair price (cheers Alex) however it stated quite clearly that the sound didn't work. http://www.ebay.com.au/i...trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

This will be my first Softdrive Sine purchase so sorry if this is common knowledge but I can find nothing relevant.

I was happy to take a punt as once I determined that I could use a bog stock 21p decoder in it and I have a stockpile of 60945's I though what the hell. I also though that there may be a problem with the speaker or the wiring bundle near the worm drive at the back of the lok.

While trying to find any info about "no sound" issues on the net last night the only reference I came across was https://www.marklin-user...ng-Sound.aspx#post314158 and some vague references on German forums.

I also came across 3 other 39230's from different sellers ALL stating that they were "NEW" but also "No Sound". This is the only one I can find today, the others must have finished since last night http://www.ebay.com.au/i...&hash=item2ecd82a342

Ok, what I gather from the German forums (mein gesprochenes Deutsch ist krank & net translation is dodgy at best) is that there was a issue with the early decoders, both ESU V3 and Marklin but nothing directly related to the "no sound" problem with the 39230 BR 23 I bought and the 3 I found last night on eBay UK/US and the 3rd was in Europe somewhere.

This led me to believe that there "may" have been a dodgy batch of them that escaped the factory/quality control.

Anyone have any idea wether there was a "dodgy" batch or have experience with the "no sound" problem Confused

Or am I just lucky ? Blushing Confused

Thanks in advance lads,

Shane
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2014 07:39:51(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
[...] that there was a issue with the early decoders, both ESU V3 and Marklin but nothing directly related to the "no sound" problem with the 39230 BR 23 I bought [...]
Märklin used cost-optimized speakers with early mfx locos (ESU decoders) and many speakers died. Later they added a resistor in series with the speaker to solve that issue.

The BR 23 was amongst the first models that came with Märklin's own mfx decoders.

1. Take out the decoder and measure the impedance (resistance) of the speaker. Should be around 4 through 8 Ohms. If there is a speaker (maybe you got the frame of a 39235 with the body of a 39230 because someone wanted sound inside the 39235).

2. Before installing a new decoder, check the old decoder (check the function mapping to see if AUX3 or AUX4 are used for anything) - it could be that you need an mSD Spezial for this loco.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2014 08:12:45(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Märklin used cost-optimized speakers with early mfx locos (ESU decoders) and many speakers died. Later they added a resistor in series with the speaker to solve that issue.

The BR 23 was amongst the first models that came with Märklin's own mfx decoders.

1. Take out the decoder and measure the impedance (resistance) of the speaker. Should be around 4 through 8 Ohms. If there is a speaker (maybe you got the frame of a 39235 with the body of a 39230 because someone wanted sound inside the 39235).

2. Before installing a new decoder, check the old decoder (check the function mapping to see if AUX3 or AUX4 are used for anything) - it could be that you need an mSD Spezial for this loco.

Thanks Tom,

I plan on checking the speaker and wiring first, that was my first thought.

I was unsure as to the exact decoder in it as I came across several (german) sites that mentioned the ESU V3 Loksound as well as Marklin. Confused Also a tad puzzled by the huge board in the tender as shown in the exploded view. Seams like overkill if its just for the rear LED's, unless they use a sub amp for the speaker ?

I'll also check out the function mapping as you suggest before I go trying one of my 60945's in it. Last thing I want to do is blow one of them up by accident.

Cheers mate, ThumpUp

Shane
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2014 01:28:23(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Hi, Have you received yet? Was it as good as it looked in the photos?
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2014 03:23:47(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

Yes Alex,

Turned up yesterday and with the quick look I've had appears as new. ThumpUp Woot

Unfortunately it turned up with a pile of kits from Carey and 2 boxes of stuff from Countrylink so the better half is a little bit cranky Glare with me at the moment and I'm keeping all train related items out of sight for a few days until she calms down.
(think there is a thread in that)

Will investigate the sound issue and post some pic's on the weekend hopefully.

Even without the sound it was a fair price in my opinion for a c-sine BR 23.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2014 07:55:37(UTC)
H0

Just a note: with a CS2 you can check the ref. number of the set the decoder came with. If the decoder shows ref. number 39235 then it's the soundless decoder and someone swapped covers.

Check "Item number" on the "nformatio" tab.
H0 attached the following image(s):
cs2_cvs_information_en.png
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Shamu  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2014 10:48:51(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Just a note: with a CS2 you can check the ref. number of the set the decoder came with. If the decoder shows ref. number 39235 then it's the soundless decoder and someone swapped covers.

Check "Item number" on the "nformatio" tab.

Cheers Tom,

I'll look into that on the weekend. (assuming its safe by then)

Thanks,

Shane
#8 Posted : 05 June 2014 14:54:30(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   

Even without the sound it was a fair price in my opinion for a c-sine BR 23.

I absolutely think so, that's the reason I was very interested + being in Australia was almost a rarity in itself but as I've mentioned before I am going through a period of abstinence after over indulging. I am glad it went to a good home.

Offline Shamu  
#9 Posted : 06 June 2014 03:23:25(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   

I absolutely think so, that's the reason I was very interested + being in Australia was almost a rarity in itself but as I've mentioned before I am going through a period of abstinence after over indulging. I am glad it went to a good home.

Arh yes Alex, Blushing

It was far too good a deal (for Oz) to pass up, you just don't see that many if any c-sine lok's that aren't going for near retail here.

And last night I had to go and get a 37186 with a 39160 on Tuesday evening. I HAVE TO STOP.Blink

I don't call it EvilBay for nothing........ no wonder she is a tad miffed with me at the present.Cursing

So when do we have our first "Marklin Anonymous" meeting Blushing Crying Laugh
#10 Posted : 06 June 2014 03:51:47(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
So, it was you the one who took of the market the 37186! I wasn't too convinced with the description or the photos but if right it was a good deal in Australia for another loco you don't see much around here, the box was a big plus, I always like nice picture boxes. I think any meeting could just encourage more jealousy, competition and misbehaviour so it is unadvisable. The 39160 is probably an acquired taste, I have the black version.
Offline Shamu  
#11 Posted : 06 June 2014 05:35:21(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Yes Alex,

T'was me.

After this thread https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst31327_Questions-on-new-to-me-Rheingold-set.aspx brought back memory's of toying with getting one and then it popped up I though what the hell. As you say not a common loco to find in Oz and the price wasn't too bad. In fact the first one I have seen locally full stop. I looked on eBay DE and it was a good $50 cheaper than the lowest priced one on there.

Was never sure about the sound as I saw a video awhile back of one with "motion" sounds but another with only "bells & whistles" Confused

I dislike that dealer's prices in general and their descriptions leave a lot to be desired but it is either providence or I'm a great big bunny. Find out next week.
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 06 June 2014 05:53:01(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Yesterday my 39230 came to my town, bearly used, it runs and sounds great!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Shamu  
#13 Posted : 06 June 2014 05:59:32(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Yesterday my 39230 came to my town, bearly used, it runs and sounds great!

Well done Francisco,

Mine "looks" new with no evidence of usage on the shoe but will be a day or 2 before I get a chance to investigate the sound issue.

These are rare as rocking horse poop in Australia so even without the sound was a great buy for me.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
#14 Posted : 06 June 2014 07:42:02(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Yes Alex,

and their descriptions leave a lot to be desired.

Have DCC controller around just in caseLOL

I am still trying to figure out why it disappeared from my watching list, it is not in the ended or active items? I would say with this weather and being a long weekend there is probably going to be a lot of buying and selling there.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone