Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aos  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2014 13:45:26(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
I would like to know members' thoughts on the above items, regarding quality, sound, reliability etc. What would be your order of preference if you could afford all three items? Alan
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2014 17:38:30(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I will tell you the model i would not buy because of the plastic body,the 37862.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2014 02:13:48(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: aos Go to Quoted Post
I would like to know members' thoughts on the above items, regarding quality, sound, reliability etc. What would be your order of preference if you could afford all three items? Alan

The newest design is the BR 96. The BR 85 dates from 1983 and the BR 86 is older than that..

I have examples of all the above, and the BR 86, with its plastic shell can get a little buzzy.

Hope this helps.Cool

Dave Pryor
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline Lollo  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2014 04:58:03(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi Alan,

I am In favour of the BR 85. It is actually my favourite steam loco. I have a 3309 & 33081, both fitted with ESU loksound, and they sound awesome when in consist. Being 3 cylinder (6 chuffs per wheel rotation), this makes quite an impressive consist.
A member of our club just bought a new BR86 with Marklin factory sound. That does sound pretty good. I use to have a BR 86 with loksound, and I had no issues with sound quality from the plastic body shell.
Can not offer any comment on the BR96 factory sound, other than they are a nice loco. I have installed an ESU loksound in one for a friend, and that was really nice.
Remeber, choose what you like best.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline 3rail4life  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2014 06:20:28(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
My vote goes to the BR 85 double pack as being the best value for the money. Great looking model, reliable traditional spur gear drive to all powered axles, cool sound and optional smoke function. It is the only one of the three we have, but that BR 96 with sound, mmmm Drool maybe someday.
Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 02 June 2014 19:56:09(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hi,

It does come down to your prototype preference. I have both 37862-01 and 37098-01 (the era IIIa models). Out of the two, I will say that I prefer the BR85 in quality and running. They're both nice, but the BR86 body doesn't fit well with the decoder and sound board fit underneath. It can be adjusted, but out of the box it's not great. The BR85 is very nicely finished and runs great (sounds are excellent IMHO). The BR85 is also a little stronger due to more powered axles and chassis weight. We are probably close to the end of these toolings, so if you're interested in getting a new model with the older DCM type tooling, this would be a chance.

-Brandon
Offline vilithejou  
#7 Posted : 02 June 2014 20:03:23(UTC)
vilithejou

BR 86 is a very HOBBY model... BR 95 is a old model but professional model
The BR86 Wheels system are so much simple....
BR 86 is ers III-IV, BR 95 both era III
I bougt twin pack BR 95 but I dosen't bought BR86 twin pack
And finally BR96 is incredible lok, ones of my favourite lok.. I have 5 five...
Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 02 June 2014 20:12:00(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Did they ever do the Br96 in an Era 3 version?

Edit: Probably not, retired by the DB in 1948 and the DR's two in 1954.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline GlennM  
#9 Posted : 02 June 2014 21:12:04(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

Alan,

I do not have a BR86 and so cannot comment.

I did purchase one of the BR85 from the twin pack, as I did not seen the need for the one with the gold lettering, and I am very pleased with the model I bought, and it runs well.

As for the BR96, I personally love the model, but prefer the Royal Bavarian State Railroad (K.Bay.Sts.B.) class Gt 2x4/4 versions, such as the blue one we ran at Ian's Marklin day. Or if you want a more modern version, I would suggest the 39760;

She is beautiful;

UserPostedImage

Good luck choosing.

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Nigel Packer  
#10 Posted : 04 June 2014 11:54:51(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   

Hi Alan,

Interesting question, but I suspect that everyone's answer to this will be different!

I would place the BR86 last, because of its plastic body. I find Märklin's metal models much more satisfying, and they give a better impression of a quality product, even if they are older designs with less clever technology. Nevertheless, the 37862 locos are classic models, and have their basis in the 3096 of 1971.

I think I own just about all the Märklin variants of the BR96, and you are welcome to look at them at my open weekend in August. I would agree with Glenn's recommendation of the 37960, or, even better, the 37959 which is the weathered version of the same loco.

I am also very fond of Märklin's BR85, and I love my 3709, which was the first loco I bought from my current and long-time dealer, Hans, in 1992. Of course, it has no sound, but it has smoke and Telex. I also own the 37098 double-set, which is very nice, but lacks the Telex couplings that are so useful on a loco of this type.

So my recommendation would be to buy, in order, a 3709 BR85, a 37959 BR96 (if you can find one, otherwise the 37960), and probably just one of the locos from the 37862 set.

As I said, probably everyone else will have a different suggestion!

Best wishes,

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline Ian555  
#11 Posted : 04 June 2014 12:10:37(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Alan,

This might help....Smile

Ian.

37960 in action...
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline GlennM  
#12 Posted : 04 June 2014 19:33:13(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post

Hi Alan,

Interesting question, but I suspect that everyone's answer to this will be different!

I would place the BR86 last, because of its plastic body. I find Märklin's metal models much more satisfying, and they give a better impression of a quality product, even if they are older designs with less clever technology. Nevertheless, the 37862 locos are classic models, and have their basis in the 3096 of 1971.

I think I own just about all the Märklin variants of the BR96, and you are welcome to look at them at my open weekend in August. I would agree with Glenn's recommendation of the 37960, or, even better, the 37959 which is the weathered version of the same loco.

I am also very fond of Märklin's BR85, and I love my 3709, which was the first loco I bought from my current and long-time dealer, Hans, in 1992. Of course, it has no sound, but it has smoke and Telex. I also own the 37098 double-set, which is very nice, but lacks the Telex couplings that are so useful on a loco of this type.

So my recommendation would be to buy, in order, a 3709 BR85, a 37959 BR96 (if you can find one, otherwise the 37960), and probably just one of the locos from the 37862 set.

As I said, probably everyone else will have a different suggestion!

Best wishes,

Nigel

Yes Nigel,

I forgot about weathered version 37959, which would be an excellent choice.

BR

Glenn

Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Webmaster  
#13 Posted : 04 June 2014 21:06:30(UTC)
Webmaster

I just love the BR96 variations and it looks good on the track...

However, I must say that the BR85 is an old favorite of mine - smaller than the BR96 but a more "massive" impact visually with the 5 axles in a row and more... At least as I see it... BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Gert-Jan  
#14 Posted : 16 November 2014 14:30:49(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
I just love the BR96 variations and it looks good on the track...

However, I must say that the BR85 is an old favorite of mine - smaller than the BR96 but a more "massive" impact visually with the 5 axles in a row and more... At least as I see it... BigGrin

Fully agree on that, the BR85 is a large but lean tenderlok. My only tenderlok with smoke too.
My 37098.1 also has great sound....but yes, a bit too much plastic and shiny black look.
Mosty era III DB.