Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 30 May 2014 03:52:02(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Many of us seem to enjoy the slightly unusual aspects of Marklin, not necessarily topics about a particular item, era, operation etc, but more along the lines of Trivia, Minutiae, "did you know" and all that kind of thing.

So here's my new topic which I hope might run for a while and we can also learn from.

What do you know, or have discovered by chance, relating to some aspect of Marklin (anything at all) that you would not have known had you not been reading a catalogue in detail, or perhaps from comparing one catalogue against another and getting that 'eureka' moment??

I'm particularly encouraging information, of a general nature but which is unique, or only found in one catalogue. I'm not really thinking of topics which might describe in detail some new item issue for that year only, I consider that to be product-specific rather than across a range or other aspect of the hobby.

One aspect might be something most of us take for granted, perhaps been in the catalogue for years but around which there is another bit of info maybe previously overlooked.

Let me give an example of what I mean;

Marklin 7199 Oil - 1966/67 catalogue page 69 states...

"containing about 10 c.c. of winter grade motorcar engine oil for lubricating locomotives and rolling stock"

When I first read that some years back I thought "Well, I did not know that".

Ok it was not earth-shattering, but it is interesting, or at least to me. Should I find myself needing specifically some equivalent oil and I'm all-out then a quick trip up to the garage, pop the bonnet of the mighty Mazda or Honda, whip out the dipstick and assuming the oil is not burnt and dirty, what I could wipe off my dipstick would probably keep my models lubricated for several months!! (Ok, I'm re-reading that, and no innuendo is intended!!!!!) Blushing

And I will point out (before someone else does) that this little detail is specified in several catalogues, not just the 66/67 year, that just happened to be the first one where I consciously noted it.

I have a few others but I'm sure all of us have something we know from reading a catalogue that we've often wondered if others have seen it?

Bring it on, surprise us with your trivia.

Enjoy

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 30 May 2014 14:38:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I wonder if the engine oils used today are of the same chemical composition as those used in the 1960s?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline scarfo  
#3 Posted : 30 May 2014 15:20:42(UTC)
scarfo

India   
I suspect they are not the same as today's motor oils, which have a lot of additives for cleaning, reducing pollutants, longevity, etc etc. I think I would be very wary about putting any motor oil on my engines today not least because of the plastic parts which almost certainly come into contact with it . Also a lot of new oils are synthetics - no idea what effect these would have, and I for one am not going to try any just to find out
Rgds charles
Offline scarfo  
#4 Posted : 01 June 2014 05:39:27(UTC)
scarfo

India   
Hi - on a more interesting note and relevant to the topic, I am trying to put together a collection of 4613 wagons, the car transporter. From the few old catalogues I have, I have put together some info but does anyone have the full story of what/which cars were factory supplied with the wagon in which years - ie early 50's taunus , all grey, then same but 2 grey and 2 brown, then later taunus (all grey? Or other colours?)
I have one with 4 beetles, one each red,white,blue and green and also one with 2 Porsche and 2 beetles - what other variations were there over the years - someone with all catalogues could probably advise, and also were other variations made for markets other than Germany?
Regards charles
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scarfo
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 01 June 2014 12:03:20(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Steve,
The other side of the coin perhaps, is to have information that was NOT included in a catalogue.

Such as a wagon or other article that does not conform to the catalogue offering.
Is that a valid perspective on your interest, or a different topic altogether?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2014 11:29:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: scarfo Go to Quoted Post
Hi - on a more interesting note and relevant to the topic, I am trying to put together a collection of 4613 wagons, the car transporter. From the few old catalogues I have, I have put together some info but does anyone have the full story of what/which cars were factory supplied with the wagon in which years - ie early 50's taunus , all grey, then same but 2 grey and 2 brown, then later taunus (all grey? Or other colours?)
I have one with 4 beetles, one each red,white,blue and green and also one with 2 Porsche and 2 beetles - what other variations were there over the years - someone with all catalogues could probably advise, and also were other variations made for markets other than Germany?
Regards charles

Hi Charles, I suggest that would be better as a new topic in "Collectors Corner", it seems this thread of mine isn't growing any legs Bored

I might have to re-word it to convey my idea better

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 03 June 2014 11:31:36(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Steve,
The other side of the coin perhaps, is to have information that was NOT included in a catalogue.

Such as a wagon or other article that does not conform to the catalogue offering.
Is that a valid perspective on your interest, or a different topic altogether?

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball,

It does kind of seem to be a different topic, do you mean an item that was produced but differed noticeably in some way from what was in the catalogue?

Probably need an example.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 04 June 2014 00:22:32(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Hi Kimball,

It does kind of seem to be a different topic, do you mean an item that was produced but differed noticeably in some way from what was in the catalogue?

Cheers

Steve

Yes Steve, that sums it up.
Unfortunately, I don't have any examples, except for one freight car, which got no lettering printed on one side.

And I guess There would be thousands of examples.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 04 June 2014 00:46:55(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Hi Kimball,

Cheers

Steve

Yes Steve, that sums it up.
Unfortunately, I don't have any examples, except for one freight car, which got no lettering printed on one side.

And I guess There would be thousands of examples.

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball, I would suggest that might be considered a mis-print?, there have been examples quoted here in the past, I think Steventrain had a few as well.

Personally I'd quite enjoy a "mis-prints" topic, probably again under collectors corner would seem most suitable and it only needs someone to start it off with an example.

The only distinction I'd want to see would be to separate those examples which are actually documented in Koll's etc **, against those where say part of the printing has been cut off, or missed altogether, perhaps the painting machine malfunctioned and one side was not painted and it was completely missed in QC. Or perhaps where one 'layer' of painting missed a particular colour and the entire image was altered.

** The classic 3000 had a small number circulated in the early-mid 70's which were mis-printed with the number upside down to read 90068 rather than 89006 as should be)

Some of those examples could potentially be very collectible but you'd want them to be where it would be extremely difficult to fake them for obvious reasons.

I think the examples Koll's favour are those where several were released all with the same mis-print until it was caught and corrected. Not unlike stamp or coin mis-prints.

What do you think?

Any other members have examples of mis-prints (Fehldruck, Druckfehler etc) that they would like to contribute to a new topic? (probably check there is not an existing topic that could be added to rather than start a new one)

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image