Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2014 21:38:07(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
hey everyone,

I'm travelling in europe at the moment, and I just had a meeting cancelled, which could enable me to get to the Marklin Museum tomorrow afternoon (Monday). Their website isn't the best, but it seems to hint that they are open. Does anyone know if the leftover/surplus/odds and ends shop within the museum would be open as well? I think thats my main interest as I've been to the museum before, so any insight is appreciated!

Also- any shops selling used/older models in the town I can visit?

Thanks!

Edited by user 30 May 2014 01:09:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
Offline Renato  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2014 23:40:24(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi John,

Every time I visited the museum, the shop was open too.

Have a nice visit and buying !

Cheers

Renato
Offline Tom Jessop  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2014 04:58:53(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Try Eslers nth side of Bahnhoff walk thru station entry court to GELSINGER STR turn right & Number 24 is on the right hand side of the road. Big shop ,very customer focused take all cards & speak English. They are my first port of call before the M shop. There is another shop in town but I have never been there , & have only seen it mentioned once on this forum.

Have fun & keep a tight hold on your Credit Cards ,

Tom in Oz.
Offline DamonKelly  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2014 10:13:31(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

Try Eslers nth side of Bahnhoff walk thru station entry court to GELSINGER STR turn right & Number 24 is on the right hand side of the road. Big shop ,very customer focused take all cards & speak English. They are my first port of call before the M shop. There is another shop in town but I have never been there , & have only seen it mentioned once on this forum.

Have fun & keep a tight hold on your Credit Cards ,

Tom in Oz.

It's called Korb - Rau, here, in the middle of Göppingen.
I bought a very nice second-hand 39650 -- the C-Sine crocodile.

I should note that they don't accept Visa Cards! Don't know about Mastercard.
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline Tom Jessop  
#5 Posted : 19 May 2014 11:35:51(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Amazing that 2 ozzies are the first to reply to this question regarding shops in Goppingen , might just be the time difference .

Tom in Oz .
Offline pa-pauls  
#6 Posted : 19 May 2014 11:53:23(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello,

Here is a link to the opening hours of the Museum in Göppingen :
http://www.maerklin.de/d...elt/oeffnungszeiten.html
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#7 Posted : 19 May 2014 23:49:58(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks all! I made it to Eslers- my kind of train shop! Had a blast looking around, but only bought a few empty boxes for some vintage coaches. (which was ok, I didn't need to take much home!

Then went to the museum. The museum itself of course was a dream.... I do have to complain that the layouts were seriously suffering though- 2 N scale layouts with odd themes, some LGB on the floor, and a Faller display layout that was very poorly constructed Crying A shame compared to the amazing setups that were there last time I visited...

A great adventure! Off to Munich tomorrow, hopefully will find some toys at one of my favorite shops there!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 30 May 2014 01:08:37(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I'm finally back home, and thought I'd update the thread in case its useful for any of you planning a trip. I managing to stop into quite a few stores while in europe, so here are some notes and purchases!

In Bologna, Italy I stopped by the 3 shops I've been purchasing from for years while working there:

- "Marklin Shop" The name says it all, I think the only Marklin-focused shop in Italy. Lots of nice stuff, but pricey and nothing I was looking for, so no purchases this time. Web is marklinshop.it

- Centro Ferrmodelistico Bolognese. (web: cfbonline.it) If you like italian trains, this is THE place to visit or order online. Friendly staff, and amazing shop and stock, and they happily ship abroad to save VAT. The only downside is they don't sell any 3 rail locomotives. Worth it for the accesories and other cars/carriages though. I bought a FER ALN 668 I've been dying to get. Prototype image:

http://www.eisenbahnhobb...13ER_Ferrara_21-7-12.jpg

- A small shop in the center of town. Excellent selection of NOS (new old stock) Marklin. Owner is very friendly, and he personally collects O scale brass so some very cool stuff to see there!

- In Stuttgart I did the museum, and picked up a few cars at the oddities shop there. Nothing special, but they were set break ups, enabling me to get the pieces I wanted without the whole set. Also Eslers which I thought was great. He has a lot of weathered Marklin for sale that had me seriously tempted, but lack of suitcase space and presence of the finance director saved me.

Lastly, I got to two of my favorite Marklin shops ever:

- Omas and Opas Speilzugladen in Salzburg. You have to see it to believe it... One of the most amazing Marklin and Roco stocks I've ever seen, and its spans back years.... Really a special place. I bought a piece of absolute unobtanium- the 31247 "Micheline Torino" Italian railcar. I've been after one for YEARS, and it has special meaning as my cousin works for Michelin in Torino. It was brand new, and hidden on a shelf in the back shelf since new when he liberated a few from Italy. Thank goodness I asked if he had one! Another overwhelmingly friendly proprietor.

- Spielart in Munich. All used/vintage Marklin. A colossal stock of great trains, and a must visit if you find yourself in Munich. I didn't purchase anything for myself per se, but lets just say a certain fellow in Barbados is getting a much sought-after HAG item soon.... :)

All in all a great trip! Hope the shop info helps some of you on your travels
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR