Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RayF  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2014 13:06:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
A couple of recent threads have been echoing some thoughts I've been having recently, about what I find most enjoyable in the hobby. A few weeks ago I got to the point in my running sequence where I run only my analogue trains for a week or two. The click-click of the reversing units, the smell of the motors, the noise...all contributed to taking me back a decade or two to the days when all I had was analogue control. I found myself enjoying the trains at a level I'd forgotten about.

While not about to convert all my trains back to analogue (Scared ) I have thought about what actually is more fun, and it seems that you don't actually need all the digital control gadgets, sound, lighting effects, etc, to enjoy running the trains! I have resolved to make analogue running part of any future plans I might make for a new layout, perhaps as a seperate analogue line alongside digitally controlled tracks.

The digital improvements to the hobby should be there as an enhancement of the experience, and not as a replacement for the basic fun of running model trains.

I have tried to organise what I enjoy most in the hobby in order of my preference:

1. Manually controlling trains (station stops, route changes, shunting wagons....)
2. Watching trains with realistic consists running on the layout
3. Planning and building layouts
4. Collecting trains
5. Researching prototype trains and railway operations
6. Repairing and improving old models (including digital conversions)
7. Simple automation (eg. turnout and signal control using contact tracks)

What I least enjoy:

1. Rivet counting (fastidiously close attention to prototypical accuracy)
2. Complicated digital and computer control schemes

Although I realise that this is probably opposite to the preferences of some others, I think there is room in the hobby for all the different ways there are to enjoy yourself!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 33 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline utkan  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2014 14:07:51(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Enjoy yourself,Ray....ThumpUp BigGrin
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2014 15:35:01(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I concur with you in all points. I recently had the same experience with the smell of the motors. Yes, electricity smells. And it smells good.Cool
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline borntman  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2014 15:43:16(UTC)
borntman

United States   
I love making load inserts for open wagons and flat cars from anything and everything. I also love weathering my cars as well.

Scott Bornt
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by borntman
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#5 Posted : 16 May 2014 16:08:15(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Yes, the smell of the motors and hot oil is unbeatable, even my dog is starting to take an interest on my analogue engines.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline hennabm  
#6 Posted : 16 May 2014 16:28:26(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

I love listening to the noise of the trains on my M track trundling round and the smell of the loks as they pass by.

I do love to see my trains running round at near realistic speed but every so often I can't resist opening them up and exercising themLOL

Having visited a few shows now I understand that some do prefer to operate to scale speed and time but this proves boring to watch when nearly all of the exhibitors are the sameThumbDown

I like taking slightly down at heel loks and wagons and turning them into running order again - like the 348 I did some time ago.Wink

At shows I love watching the faces of the youngsters as the trains trundle by and keeping the trains under control without them crashingBlushing

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Janne75  
#7 Posted : 16 May 2014 16:40:55(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Very good topic Ray ThumpUp . I have almost as much analog locomotives than digital ones at the moment and I will not convert many of them to digital. I like analog locomotives motor "sound", smell and reversing units sound. It reminds me of the time when I was a child. They run better than some delta or digital ones.

I want to run them and it was the reason why I started to build an old Märklin 3600 solid center rail M-track (1947-1956) layout in my garage. I like most the 800 series locomotives, but I don't have many of them.

When I will finally get the catenary installed on my train room digital C-track layouts outer mainline it will be analog for electric analog locomotives and I can remove the current pick-up shoe / slider from them.

I like also to collect locomotives and rolling stock and watch them in their display cases or on the tracks. Manual control of my trains is how I run them and enjoy it a lot.

I'm not a rivet counter either, but I often try to use the same era rolling stock than the locomotive is.

One part of this great hobby is also to fix locomotives, improve them (ball bearings to DCM and C-Sinus motors etc.) and modify the digital ones settings.

I'm glad to see that there are more of us who still enjoy also the analog locomotives Smile .

Regards,
Janne

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 16 May 2014 19:07:13(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
All the above are perfect but the best for me is when i am playing my trains with my friends.This hobby is the reason i met perfect people.Some in real life and some here,on marklin-users.net and am grateful for this.
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Herrfleck  
#9 Posted : 16 May 2014 20:17:01(UTC)
Herrfleck

Sweden   
Hello Ray! Hello all!

This is what I mean about being HAPPY with MärklinSmile Smile

Really enjoying to running, collecting, building etc etc!

And most important is to do as you like to do it! It`s for FUN!!!!!!Smile Smile Smile

Bertil.
- since my lack in english I don't write so much here.. but learn by trying right? :) -

//Bertil
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Herrfleck
Offline hennabm  
#10 Posted : 16 May 2014 20:21:48(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
All the above are perfect but the best for me is when i am playing my trains with my friends.This hobby is the reason i met perfect people.Some in real life and some here,on marklin-users.net and am grateful for this.

Here hereThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

I fuly echo this. We have a great bunch here in the M Club UK all thanks to this forum. The more the merrier as well - we're open to all comers.BigGrin

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 16 May 2014 20:43:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I like that the common theme running through these posts is about having fun and enjoying yourself, in whatever way you prefer. ThumpUp

It's a blessing having something to take your mind away from the pressures of work (for those that do) and to keep your mind active (for those who no longer do!)

Ray
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Webmaster  
#12 Posted : 16 May 2014 21:41:54(UTC)
Webmaster

I find all aspects of the model railroad as fun... It's a complete hobby, and with a bit of openmindedness I'm sure you agree...

Examples:

- The smell & sounds of proper old analog M-track layout makes me happy
- The tinkering with small bits is fun and makes me happy
- The whole engineering part of it, which includes building frames/tables/levels and wiring it makes me happy
- The planning of a future layout and the visions makes me happy
- The buying of bits & pieces for the future layout and assembling/testing them makes me happy
- The possibilities with Digital makes me happy
- The watching of small trains running makes me happy
- The completeness of the hobby, artistic, engineering, electronics, running logic etc makes me happy
- The looks of model marvels makes me happy
- The precision mechanics and running qualities of model trains makes me happy

But also...

- This forum that I started in 2001 makes me very happy, since I have met wonderful people both online and in real life and know others have too - a thing not possible without the forum...
- To know that we are many nuts out there who think alike many times, but can discuss differences in a mostly civilised manner too...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 31 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Johnvr  
#13 Posted : 17 May 2014 08:35:45(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Thanks to Ray for starting such a happy topic, and thanks to Juhan for making this all possible, and thanks to everyone for contributing so much knowledge and experiences.

I always enjoy getting home on a Friday afternoon after work and reading the forum news and thinking what train things I am going to work on during the weekend. I was actually up until 01h30 early this morning running some trains and checking out some things because I am having visitors this afternoon and I want things to run smoothly !BigGrin BigGrin

Anyway, my favourite aspects of the hobby include :
  • designing layouts with operating possibilities, like reversing loops and passing sidings, and signal operation, and shunting yards
  • fitting new decoders to my analog old locos and running them on my digital layout
  • admiring the wonderful engineering which went into the construction of the locos from long ago
  • building electronic accessories to the layout, eg braking modules, signal modules, random point switches, flashing lights, etc
  • meeting Marklin friends and spending time visiting their layouts and they visiting my layout
  • tinkering with my analog locos

Regards,BigGrin
John

thanks 14 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline jvuye  
#14 Posted : 17 May 2014 19:32:17(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello Ray and all,

Cannot agree more with what you say and also with Juhan about the statement it's a "complete hobby".
I must say I have a little bias on the mechanical side of improving and repairing, but you probably noticed that already!Razz

My favourite thing is definitely the challenge of converting locos from 2- to 3-rail and getting them to run flawlessly!
It probably is because it is an opportunity to play with my machine tools (lathe, milling machine, etc.) and the sense of creating something functional with a reasonable level of precision.
Always looking for a way of improving the techniques and results, even though I have my share of mistakes and failures...then comes the satisfaction of "fixing it"!

And then I even get the extra pleasure to see a happy face when I am doing this for a friend and he sees it run for the first time!

My psychiatrist said it was not a dangerous disorder Blink Laugh , nor is it a devious nor toxic behaviour ...Wink RollEyes

I am safe... BigGrin
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 18 May 2014 01:02:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
I find all aspects of the model railroad as fun... It's a complete hobby, and with a bit of openmindedness I'm sure you agree...
- To know that we are many nuts out there who think alike many times, but can discuss differences in a mostly civilised manner too...

Thanks to all on this forum, and to Ray for this topic.
I agree entirely.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Goofy  
#16 Posted : 18 May 2014 09:15:25(UTC)
Goofy

What do you find most fun?

To play digital locomotivs
To use forum marklin-users.net
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Alsterstreek  
#17 Posted : 18 May 2014 15:38:15(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
My psychiatrist said it was not a dangerous disorder Blink Laugh , nor is it a devious nor toxic behaviour ...Wink RollEyes

I am safe... BigGrin

Maybe not dangerous, but still a disorder, no?

Woot LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline hxmiesa  
#18 Posted : 19 May 2014 12:12:36(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

The click-click of the reversing units, the smell of the motors, the noise...all contributed to taking me back a decade or two to the days when all I had was analogue control. I found myself enjoying the trains at a level I'd forgotten about.
The digital improvements to the hobby should be there as an enhancement of the experience, and not as a replacement for the basic fun of running model trains.

Well, welcome to MY world! ;-)
Interessting subject. Although I hope it wont run into a analog-versus-digital thread.

All my engines run on analog power.
I do have a digital and "modern" subject integrated though; All track is controlled by an industrial PLC (computer) and 24V relays. Especially signals and braking/accelration section are controlled by this system. (swtiching in different voltages to the track).
Although I have already described my system here several times, let me just add one more reminder; As the tension in the tracks is always the same for all locos, each loco is modified with 0-to-X pairs of antiparallel diodes, so that some moves slower than others.
But ´nuff of that now!

What I like the most;
1) Watching the trains run
2) Laying track
3) Optimizing the train-control program and the consists in order to get a good and varied automated running
4) Decorating the layout

What I like the least;
1) Ballasting track
2) Laying electrical cables

All my methods, while not always the best, fastest, most efficient, -are for sure the CHEAPEST way to get the results desired!
If money was not an issue, I would probably go digital, but I am happy to state that I enjoy my trains just the same! ;-)
Some modern digital loc-features would be nice, but for example NOT the sound; Not good with so many trains always running simultaniously...

Edit; After reading some of the comments here, I realize that it should not go un-mentioned the added value the opportunity to share experience and knowledge online on the net (as in "here") brings to our hobby!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline sjlauritsen  
#19 Posted : 19 May 2014 20:40:27(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I was in a club where rivet counting had completely taken over. There was no way that you could be happy with a locomotive "out of the box", it had to be modified in some way, and it had to be this and that time period and so on. If it had sound, it was a toy, unless it was the exact right sound of course. If it was "from Märklin", oh boy, I will not even go into the ugly details on that.

I became very tired, because the club seemed to have forgotten what having fun was all about. You HAD to criticize, there HAD to be something wrong with the model. It completely killed every enthusiasm that one might show for his new purchase - and you started to become embarassed if you liked a model that you knew the others would not. I stopped, right there.

Then I found out that my nephew (who I rarely talked to) was also into model trains, and his approach was to simply do what he felt like. You know, if he thought a locomotive was nice, he would buy it, simply because he liked the way it looked. I became inspired, because he had the same enthusiasm that I had when I first started. I wanted that enthusiasm back! I wanted to be able to buy some model, just because I felt like it, and because I liked it.

So I started to tell people that this was my new approach, and some of the people I talked to actually said that they had felt the same way. Now we are a little group who meet from time to time, to build our C track layouts (Trix C track) and run the models - some like prototypical trains, and that's fine, some like to run their collections of coil wagons and that's fine too. Should somebody come a long and like to run their 3-rail locomotives, that would work as well. I have tested it, because I have a few Märklin locomotives too. Cool We simply isolate a block of track, and exchange the 2-rail wagons between the too systems.

We have great fun!
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline kweekalot  
#20 Posted : 19 May 2014 21:03:50(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Great topic ! ThumpUp

What I like:
  • Reading and gaining knowledge about the old MRR accessories and old accessories companies, like Faller, Kibri, Vollmer, WIAD, Vau-Pe, RS-Spitaler, Neuffen, CM Creglinger, Voight, etcetera...
  • Playing (analog) trains with my boys.
  • Being active on M-users and other MRR and slot car forums
What I don't like: MRR things younger dan 1975, digital stuff, decoders....

Marco
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Webmaster  
#21 Posted : 19 May 2014 21:42:49(UTC)
Webmaster

Regarding "fun"...

I think it's fun is to see what others have done to build their "1/87 empires", large or small...
I think it's fun to see some members doing some "extraordinary" projects...
I think it's fun to test new models, and buying them when I can afford it...
I think it's fun to see the variety of forum discussions, from NMR to the deepest digital discussions - and always learn a new thing....
I think it's fun to have the forum running and active since 2001...
I think it's fun to see discussions to see where members with "My way is the only way" attitude listen and agree upon trying suggestions from others...
I think it's fun to maintain the forum and suggest improvements to the developers as well as trying to develop the rest of the site myself...

In short - I think it is fun with both trains & software development stuff for this site, and the most fun for me is that the site brings people from all the corners of the world together...
I also think it is fun that my & the team humble efforts seem to be appreciated by many members (mostly...)...

So - I love to run this site with all the great members, wouldn't be as fun without you all.... BigGrin
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline pab  
#22 Posted : 19 May 2014 22:15:10(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
This made me think why I have a model railroad for so long.

Wheb I started I liked to see the trains running, the shunting and setting up a very simple lay-out.
Over the years I go more attention for the scenery, the more prototypically train sets and scenery.
When I build my last lay-out I made some decisions:
- Focus on era 3, but still like to have some earlier trains running. This has a large effect on the what I buy.
- Only steam locomotives, So I don't need catenary.
- Started to collect beercars

When the digital era started I had my hesitations. I already had a large lay-out and Delta wasn't suitable.
But when the locomotives with sound came I was convinced and migrated to digital. Have no options for analogue running anymore. I already sold some of my non digital ones and probably will sell the rest too.
I also liked the more detailed new locomotives, that's another reason not to convert the old ones. I never run my old tinplated 24 cm cars.

I also like to make pictures of my trains and lay-out. That forces me to have more and more attention for the scenery.

I still like to see my trains running. I still like to shunt. But with smoke and sound it's more fun.

I worked in IT for more than 40 years. Decided to a non computer controlled lay-out.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by pab
Offline Webmaster  
#23 Posted : 19 May 2014 22:44:51(UTC)
Webmaster

Now when you mention it....

Forgot to say - I think it's fun to see all the pictures of models and layouts in the forum, some are good and some are excellent.... Smile

As you Piet, I have also worked many years in the IT business and do not wish to control my (future) layout fully with computers...
But I want to use computers as a complement for controlling things like lights, background sounds, other off-rail effects and such...
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#24 Posted : 20 May 2014 09:37:44(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
I enjoy the optimization on electrical and mechanical issues like motor (ball bearing), lightning, ...

And on the model railway, I like to control manually, the locos as well as the shunts. Therefore, except the locos and stearing wagons with digital decoders, everything will be realized for manual control. The shunts have electric drive but no decoder. We will not have PC software for the steering, just 3 Mobile Station 2 and maybe later a CS2, but only because of better programming possibilities like Sound updates and CV mapping and to connect tablets for steering.

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#25 Posted : 20 May 2014 15:50:45(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks Ray for starting such a wonderful positive post - sometimes we forget to have FUN with our trains!!
I just love looking at the visiting children's faces when they see the layout for the first time - the sheer fascination take me back to when I was their age......and when they keep on wanting to come back and learn how to make "hills", and "rocks", and how to control the trains (for the "older" children), it just makes it SO worthwhile.......What FUN!!
Thanks everyone...Joe
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline kimballthurlow  
#26 Posted : 26 May 2014 07:28:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
HI,
Yes some of my grandchildren say ..."How did you build this......? (with an awed expression)
- it makes me feel so important.

Anyway, on to something factual, regarding digital operation.
I have a CS1 60212 (Marklin version software), and I am able to vary the amount of inertia in my locomotives.
And I have round-and-round circuits for trains to run.
So when I use the touch screen to stop a train, it can take a few metres to stop, depending on the speed.
It is great fun to have a fast running train, then hit the screen on the speed graphic at just the right moment, so it glides into the platform with brakes squealing.
Judging the correct point at which to touch the screen so the train will come to a smooth stop, is not easy.
You are not allowed any coaches to stop after or before the platform, it must be so all passengers can get on or off.
And it depends so much on the speed of the train.
To increase the fun, I vary the speed of the train from one run to the next.
Of course I get it wrong many times, but practice makes perfect.

And the passengers all alight without knowing how much skill the driver requires, to guide this 200 tonne behemoth to a smooth stop in the correct position.

Visitors rise to the challenge of seeing how well they can do it.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 26 May 2014 12:29:39(UTC)  | Reason: added more explanation

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#27 Posted : 29 May 2014 10:45:50(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

Now on to what I enjoy in the hobby, in some order as I feel today.
In 12 months time I may feel differently. I use Ray's items as a guide.

I enjoy most in the hobby in order of my preference:

1. Admiring the workmanship in models, including the "rivet counting" close attention to prototypical accuracy, either hand-made or mass produced.
2. Researching available models on the internet.
3. Researching prototype trains and railway operations to purchase and run similar miniature trains.
4. Watching trains with realistic consists running on the model layout.
5. Belonging to local Clubs where I mix with others of similar interest (these are mostly 2 rail).
6. Repairing, modifying and improving old models (including digital conversions) - I don't do a lot of this, but like it.
7. Manually controlling trains (station stops, route changes, shunting wagons....)
8. Collecting all sorts of model trains, even models from yesteryear.

What I don't do, because it would be an effort for me:

1. Simple automation (eg. turnout and signal control using contact tracks)
3. Planning and building layouts (I have built one which works, that is enough).

regards
Kimball
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline DumbGuy  
#28 Posted : 01 June 2014 14:50:09(UTC)
DumbGuy

United States   

I have tried to organise what I enjoy most in the hobby in order of my preference:

1. Manually controlling trains (station stops, route changes, shunting wagons....)
4. Collecting trains

What I least enjoy:

1. Rivet counting (fastidiously close attention to prototypical accuracy).

Ray -- Thanks much for starting this topic. For me, your list is pretty much perfect! I especially like your great subtle point about not being too much of a “rivet-counter”. I’ll add a few more from my personal perspective.

Most Fun -- Taking a new layout from initial plan to operation, the whole process.

Least Fun -- Having a key component fail; e.g., a 74490 turnout motor that suddenly works only one-way.

Some Fun –- Rescuing that failed component; e.g., a 74490 that works well again after repair.

And of course there are the broader rewards of opening a kid’s eyes to the pleasures of delayed gratification in contrast to the immediacy of Xboxes and their ilk.

Regards – Richard

Edited by user 03 June 2014 14:43:49(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Long-time analog user, collector & tinkerer.
Discovered digital & began conversion a few years ago.
C-Track, CS2 Carpetbahn built, taken-down, rebuilt, etc.
Username reflects how much I still have to learn.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by DumbGuy
Offline Hackcell  
#29 Posted : 01 June 2014 17:45:42(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Hello,

At this moment, I'm enjoying the most two things:

1 - Playing Dr. Frankenstein adapting Walthers/Athearn rolling stock to run in M roads.
2 - Planning and designing a non Germanic / non American, but rural Costa rican layout.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline petestra  
#30 Posted : 01 June 2014 23:29:42(UTC)
petestra

United States   
It's got to be the running for me. I have always loved the daily operation on the layout,

different trains dropping off and picking up freight cars, having an express pass a local

on a passing track, shunting etc. Now since last Oct., I am really enjoying both the

old analogue running and the fun of the digital world as well. Peter Cool
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline baggio  
#31 Posted : 03 June 2014 03:05:05(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Great topic, Ray. ThumpUp

Most fun for me, in no particular order:

1. Assembling a simple layout and then disassembling it in order to build a new one. There is always magic when the next simple layout is complete and the first train runs on it;

2. Mixing and matching wagons to different locomotives, both DC and AC;

3. Watching a long train go by with the wagons waiving like the tail of a pet.

4. Watching locos race one another.

5. Pushing locos to their speed limit.

6. Going on this and other forums to chat about trains.

7. Listening to whistles and bells of trains, including battery trains.

8. Watching videos on trains on You Tube, especially those that open a brand new train set, like ... (cannot post names, no advertising allowed Wink

9. Making videos and posting them on You Tube.

There it is.

Thank you Ray. BigGrin
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline DumbGuy  
#32 Posted : 03 June 2014 14:53:20(UTC)
DumbGuy

United States   
Hello Again,

Though there are many more Most Fun points than the converse, I just remembered another Least Fun item = Track Cleaning! It's a necessary activity, but since I do it by hand using an alcohol-dampened microfiber cloth, it's a bit tedious. Not too tough for plain track, but I always worry about damaging turnout points or their electronics if the cloth snags.

At some point, I'll probably invest in a track-cleaning car. Any other advice?

Regards -- Richard
Long-time analog user, collector & tinkerer.
Discovered digital & began conversion a few years ago.
C-Track, CS2 Carpetbahn built, taken-down, rebuilt, etc.
Username reflects how much I still have to learn.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DumbGuy
Offline waorb  
#33 Posted : 03 June 2014 16:56:03(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: DumbGuy Go to Quoted Post

Though there are many more Most Fun points than the converse, I just remembered another Least Fun item = Track Cleaning! It's a necessary activity, but since I do it by hand using an alcohol-dampened microfiber cloth, it's a bit tedious. Not too tough for plain track, but I always worry about damaging turnout points or their electronics if the cloth snags.
At some point, I'll probably invest in a track-cleaning car. Any other advice?

Hello Richard!

Yes, worth the time cleaning the tracks...

My advice is to use this cleaning car:

http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/clean_machine.htm

You could do the job by simply having fun, even if the price isn't cheap. Some parts of my layout is so difficult to reach to clean it... this car do a wonderful job here.

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by waorb
Offline jcrtrains  
#34 Posted : 03 June 2014 22:52:01(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
A great topic;

In somewhat of a relative order;

1) Building scenery details (spending alot of time improving the foliage now and quite enjoying it)
2) Admiring my work to date while driving trains
3) Admiring the engines in display cases (there are rather a lot of them to admire)
4) Surfing ebay and ricardo for great engines I am looking for
5) Reading this and other forums
6) Admiring other peoples layouts and being inspired to raise the bar in my work

Opening a new parcel probably deserves it's own special category.

Thanks
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline baggio  
#35 Posted : 03 June 2014 23:42:18(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
You are becoming famous, Ray, at least your topic is. BigGrin

I took the liberty of asking the same question you did on an Italian forum "3 Rotaie" (3 Rails), giving you credit for the topic, and in less than 24 hours the page has been viewed 179 times.

If anyone is interested in looking it up, this is the site: http://www.3rotaie.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9417

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline RayF  
#36 Posted : 04 June 2014 15:21:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
You are becoming famous, Ray, at least your topic is. BigGrin

I took the liberty of asking the same question you did on an Italian forum "3 Rotaie" (3 Rails), giving you credit for the topic, and in less than 24 hours the page has been viewed 179 times.

If anyone is interested in looking it up, this is the site: http://www.3rotaie.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9417

Thanks!

I think the appeal of this topic is due to the fact that the hobby can be enjoyed in so many different ways.

All we need to do is focus on the positives and not dwell on the negatives, and then everyone will find what they enjoy best!
Ray
Offline Ian555  
#37 Posted : 04 June 2014 16:05:46(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Ray,

What I find most fun is the Challenge......A test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking.

Ian.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline JYL  
#38 Posted : 10 June 2014 03:25:32(UTC)
JYL

France   

4. Collecting trains

What I least enjoy:

1. Rivet counting (fastidiously close attention to prototypical accuracy)

Hi Ray,

I totally join you on these points ! ThumpUp

I can just add that I practice märklin since 40 years now and with time I learned to like german railways history from end of 19th century to eighties. To know more about it I bought some german books on this subject and today I know more things about Deutsche Bahn than SNCF LOL

Friendly your, J-Yves

**** There is no train from Two to two to Two for two ****
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JYL
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#39 Posted : 10 June 2014 14:48:38(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Dear all,

I could not agree more to what all have been posted in this thread! Currently I'm working on
1. hand made street lights
2. H0 buildings using sites like http://papertoys.com/
3. Building my own cargo containers with the help of http://www.norbtach.nl/b...cont45/4x45fthcont.html.

All thanks to marklin-users.net community for being so resourceful. As rightly posted by Mr. Serrano on Facebook community page, this is indeed a disease which makes us live for more:)

Regards,
Madhu

madhu.gn.71 attached the following image(s):
My_Disease.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline MalinAC  
#40 Posted : 12 June 2014 09:55:38(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
I enjoy running my analogue locos and collecting both digital and analogue. As I dont have much room I only have a small 4x8 layout. Even so I was amazed at the amount of wires for all the building lights, street lights and turnout motors. I had to change the wires 3 times before it worked right. I thank the stars that I joined this Forum because I have learned more in that short time than years of blundering around and not knowing where to go for answers about anything in the hobby. I like building the layout and the sceanery end and collecting the different models. I collect models I like and not any specific era, and now I enjoy going on the Forum and looking at other members locos and layouts. Take it easy out there and dont let the sound of your trains drive you crazy. EddieCool Cool BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline hemau  
#41 Posted : 21 June 2014 22:15:58(UTC)
hemau

What I like most is having some trains running around while I'm reading a paper or something. Just the trains making mileage and me listening to the sound and looking every now and then where they are.

Next preference is having 4 trains running on my tracks, two on each direction and having the speed synchronised that they do not collide (45 years ago I used the Marklin signals to do this on my analog track divided in three blocks ...). Man where has time gone ? A family, kids grown-up ... They left their legacy in the lay-out but have gone their own ways.

Some analog beauties will not be converted ... ever.

Henk
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hemau
Offline MalinAC  
#42 Posted : 22 June 2014 09:03:34(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Henk , Yes time sure goes fast when your having fun , but if it involves Marklin in any way then its worth it. Take care Eddie Confused Confused Confused Confused
Offline mikemasey  
#43 Posted : 27 June 2014 02:08:59(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
Hi all,

well it seems that the jury is in and model trains are good.

Yes yes the sound of loco's on M track cant be beaten(cant convince my fiancae though!).

Anolough(who needs digital, its ok Im only jealous that I havent any!) is the only way to go, still running my origional BR89 I had as a boy many moons ago.

I also love this "club" for all the answers etc to my many questions.

Mike.