Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2014 07:33:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

The Brisbane Model Train Show, held at one of Brisbane's racecourses over 2 days, and in its 35th year, was a success according to the organisers.

Nearly 6,000 visitor attended, though numbers were down on last year. Unfortunately, because I was a volunteer, I had no time to take photos.

From consumer reports, the Marklin layout (one) was very popular, with a working crane, automatic train control, and a viewer-controlled ascending/descending balloon.
There were 3 Lego layouts I noticed, all very popular.

Fine scale layouts attracted the enthusiasts, as did many trade stands.
One trader told me he had the best show for years, but then he was selling some stuff at 1/2 price.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2014 00:58:06(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Guys sorry for the poor quality of the video but was taken from I phone4. But it gives you an idea of what Kimball was getting at.

http://s100.photobucket....339_zps86cdf4a4.mp4.html

http://s100.photobucket....340_zpsf3830ba0.mp4.html
D.A.Banks
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2014 07:26:47(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

The Brisbane Model Train Show, held at one of Brisbane's racecourses over 2 days, and in its 35th year, was a success according to the organisers.

Although it was to the best of my fading memory called something different back in the day (there was glass blowing and enamelling and other stuff I can't recall) every year at the main hall in the Brisbane City Hall a 10 day (well ran over 2 weekends) display of at least a dozen very large model railways.

I still have very fond memory's of my long gone granddad taking me to them every year in the late 50's & 60's. Maybe its distorted memory's of a child but I don't recall ever seeing anything to compare since then (well perhaps a huge train display/shop that used to be at Mermaids Beach in the 80's)
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2014 08:06:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post

Although it was to the best of my fading memory called something different back in the day (there was glass blowing and enamelling and other stuff I can't recall) every year at the main hall in the Brisbane City Hall a 10 day (well ran over 2 weekends) display of at least a dozen very large model railways.

I still have very fond memory's of my long gone granddad taking me to them every year in the late 50's & 60's. .....

Hi Shane,
Yes, it was the Brisbane Doll, Toy and Hobby Show, and it was mid-November each year, in the City Hall. The committee ran it to aid the Children's Hospital.

The Australian Model Railway Association (AMRA) took over the organising sometime in the 1970's, and it continued to show some doll and related hobbies for a while.
It no longer benefited charity.

By 1980, it was held at the Brisbane Exhibition Ground over the May long weekend (Labor Day in Queensland).

The number of layouts is large, certainly enough to keep anyone occupied for 2 or more hours.
These range from 1800 x 1200 size to some over 6 metres long.
egards
Kimballr
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2014 09:16:51(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   

... Nearly 6,000 visitor attended, though numbers were down on last year ....

Unfortunately most MRR show report that they attract less visitors each year.

Eurospoor went from 33.000 visitors in 1999 to 16.000 visitors in 2012.
In 2013 the show was reduced from three to two halls and for the first time the number of visitors was no longer published.

Same for the Intermodellbau show, visitor numbers decreased from 110.000 in year 2000 to 88.000 in 2014.

Very sad, but you can see that our great hobby is on the wane.

Marco

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2014 16:29:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post

... Nearly 6,000 visitor attended, though numbers were down on last year ....

Unfortunately most MRR show report that they attract less visitors each year.

Our Railex's here in NZ seem to doing OK with good attendances, last year was down a bit on the year before, but that was mainly due to last year being held in the same location as the year before and space being constricted due to certain buildings being unavailable for use due to earthquake concerns.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 10 May 2014 23:32:09(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I think that the declining attendance numbers says more about the economy than interest in model railways.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 11 May 2014 00:14:36(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I think that the declining attendance numbers says more about the economy than interest in model railways.

Hi Adrian,
I think that is certainly true too.

It is interesting that Lego model railways, which do not pretend to be fine scale museum-quality models, attract an enthusiast audience.
At the same time, the quality of many HO scale products has taken a shift up in extremes of detail and realism, including running qualities.
And here in Australia, there is a plethora of new brand-names in Australian prototype models. These did not exist 15 years ago. Mostly made in China I believe.
Does that point to a burgeoning model train industry here?
Or is it our closeness to Asia that assists this?
Does it mean that fewer models from Europe and the US are being sold here

Amongst modellers who are committed to realism in miniature, I guess some of these shifts are pleasing.

regards
Kimball
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 11 May 2014 10:41:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

Some photos to hand from friends at the show.
The first, is a Gauge 1 or G (not sure).

The second is a shunting layout in HO, US prototype.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 12 May 2014 01:10:21(UTC)  | Reason: added pictures with help from Juhan

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 11 May 2014 18:30:07(UTC)
Webmaster

If you click you the image in the image list, you open the image details.

There you will find links you can copy....

Webmaster attached the following image(s):
upload.JPG
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster