Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2014 10:57:04(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I have tried to search for old DRG 3 axle passenger cars maximum permissible speeds from Internet without any luck. Could someone put me into right direction where to find this kind of information? I would like to search many other passenger car types also to see if the locomotive used with them in my 1:87 scale is ok like the prototype was. I have for example DRG E 18 with these 3 axle DRG cars in my display case. I know that E 18 was a very fast locomotive for it´s era with top speed of 150 km/h, but I have no idea about these 3 axle cars?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Janne

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2014 15:21:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Janne,

I can't find any references to actual permissable speeds either, but I think I am safe saying that speeds in excess of 100 km/h would not have been allowed for two or three axle coaches.

I think a better match for the DRG E18 would be the "skirted" coaches or any other bogie types.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2014 15:48:22(UTC)
H0

Two links to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnerb%C3%BCchse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbau-Wagen

So the max. speed of the DRG coaches will probably be somewhere between 80 km/h and 100 km/h.
A faster locomotive won't be a problem - you can always pretend the E 18 is a substitute for the slower standard loco that failed on that day ...

Heating could be a problem: E 18 does not provide steam heating, the old coaches probably are not prepared for electric heating.
So pretend it's a summer day and heating is not required. Maybe the coaches have coal ovens.

Or pretend the loco hauls the train to the service shop or a depot.

The permitted speed of a train is determined by the permitted speed of the route and the lowest permitted speed of the rolling stock in the train.
The route could also be the limiting factor - with weak bridges, damaged tracks, tight curves or for other reasons.

PS: It regularly happened that express train locos hauled an express train from A to B, but hauled a slow train back from B to A.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Janne75  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2014 14:32:05(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Many thanks Tom and Ray for the answers. Now I know much more of these things as Tom´s reply gave me even more information about the prototypes.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.