Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline monster134  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2014 00:29:05(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
I think it was on here a year or what back, that I have read some not so favourable impressions of the ESU locomotive range. Now I know I am going to take some flack here, but I disagree with most of the views that were brought up back then. I have now brought 13 of them in. 6 class 77's 4 class 66's 2 class 215's and a 151 electric unit.

I am blown away. First off, I never had enough time with any of them to keep a demo locomotive, but last week, I bit down and kept a 215 out for myself. As you know, I have the track from hell. Massive gradients stretching over 6 and 7metres at a time, some radius 2 curves on a 1 in 6 incline..... so any loco that does one lap of Monsterville, is a good puller in my book.

I will be honest, it was not all moonshine and roses. At first, with a mere 20 axles behind it, it would not even pull the first incline. I picked the loco up and saw that it was soaking wet underneath. I overfilled the smoke generator, and that oil goes straight onto the front bogey's traction tyre. Drove it clean on the test stand, and took it back to the layout. It was better, but still could not pull the heaviest incline I had. It was here that I wanted to hear if it was spinning, so without helping it, I turned the sound off, which also means the smoker switches off, and without breaking a sweat it suddenly just pulled off and went.

I kept the sound of, and when it hit that same incline, it went over without a hitch or spinning a wheel. I now was sure it is not traction related, but definitely decoder related. I then started the Lokprogrammer up and went into the motor control.Playing with the back EMF, I got it to storm over the inclines without any troubles. So.... I hooked another 10 axles, 15 wagons in total and it just went like a bat out of hell.

Right, while I was inside the decoder's head, I saw that there was a massive amount of things that could be tailor made to taste. Firstly, the sound on these locos are the best there is. Bar none. It is not just the file that is on there, it is the way they modeled the speaker to give base and treble. Absolutely fantastic. The 215 has a single Visathon in its belly, and the sound is crisp and clear..... and most of all, perfectly right. The 215 was turbocharged. You can clearly hear the turbo, but me being me, that wasn't enough. I saw in the soundfile that there was a turbocharger file. I made that louder, extended the spooltime a bit and my goodness..... the thing sounds mean.

While in there, I saw that the smoker could be altered too. The smoke in my opinion was its most unprototypical aspect. No diesel will smoke like these do, except when in dire need of an overhaul.Laugh So, I set the heat slightly lighter at 85% and turned the fan down to 60%...... with the help of the acceleration brake delay, I got this thing to smoke on start-up and then nothing. Just a faint fog. On acceleration it will blow the smoke out in a much lighter almost heatwave mist and be off. As soon as it reaches the desired speed it was set at, the motor will dip and the smoke disappear almost completely. It is quite spectacular.

So.... I now have a new favourite locomotive. It has done 40 hours now, and here is another thing. As it loosens up, it is getting even better. So much so that I ran it tonight with 20 coal hoppers and it clears the track without a single wheelspin or bog. The motor in there is a strong bastard, that is for sure. I see with added voltage to the motor and the maximum speed brought down to a 150km/h, it is right in the sweetspot. Only downfall is, that with everything on, it will pull 900mA on my CS1. All on its own! Smoker is the culprit. Turning it down a bit made the loco ten times better.

Lastly... it is absolutely gorgeous. The 215/218 series was never an oilpainting, but with the amount of detail on it, and even more importantly the attention to detail, it makes the Marklin look positively dated. Everything is finer and closer to scale. Those brass photo etched steps are the business. The cablights, the dashlights.... absolutely brilliant. It is CRISP!!!

I have four V200's on pre-order. I just ordered 3 V60's. I was apprehensive as to how my customers this side would react to a mid 300's Euro diesel, but they flew of my shelves like it was nobody's business. Makes me think that even hardened Marklinists like myself are hungry for something new. Cant wait for the V200.

Now.... can you imagine ESU tried their hand at a steamer???

If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
thanks 16 users liked this useful post by monster134
Offline Tom Jessop  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2014 08:35:20(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

It just took me a few minutes to work out that a 215 is actually the 218 on the ESU website . Looks pretty good. Real life Smokey Loco's do occur especially anything out of the ALCO works in the USA , big 4 stroke motors notorious for imitating steam engines when under load & known to start Bush Fires in Australia with their carbon output . Now to check out where in Oz they maybe obtained from . All good ,available from Train Trader at Pymble , just a 3 hr drive from me if they are available.

Cheers Tom in Oz
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2014 08:45:03(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello Riekus!
Good to read from you, and quite interested with your evaluation of the ESU locos.
So far I was convinced that they were leading the way on loks and accessory decoders, central units (EcOs) etc.
But I have always been a bit skeptical with the locos.
Yes I have seen them at the Nürnberg toy fair (quite impressed too!) and I have been tempted.
However, based on my long years of converting loks from 2-rails to 3-rails (and vice versa...Wink ) and knowing that there is a lot more to it than "it's HO", I still ask myself if they are truly "universal" mechanically.

You say you have "tracks from hell"... can you be a bit more specific, and can you share your observations in that regard?

Who knows, You may have convinced a skeptic...!Smile

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline monster134  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2014 10:50:35(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Truly universal they are. I ran this one on my buddies 2 rail layout from an Uhlenbrock operating system. Only difference is that on DCC there are about ten million extra features. In AC mode you have all the sounds and the smoke and lights. In DCC there are the shunting lights and what seems like variations of the sounds we as ACeists have available. Different station announcement and radio talk and all that. Like I said Jacques, my track has steep inclines and a loco needs to pull its weight. This one came from nowhere and simply by gelling with it a bit, it is now performing on par with a Marklin. Don't know how you feel about that, but I suspect, like me, there is a certain attraction in being able to customize a locomotive perfectly. I haven't had this much fun with a loco in ages.

Do it! You will not be sorry. Wait for that V200 though.... I think it will be spectacular.
If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by monster134
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2014 11:11:08(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: monster134 Go to Quoted Post
Truly universal they are. I haven't had this much fun with a loco in ages.
Do it! You will not be sorry. Wait for that V200 though.... I think it will be spectacular.

Ok Riekus!
I guess you pushed me on the edge now Scared ...I'm gonna take the ESU lok-plunge with that V200!

Geronimoooooo!BigGrin Laugh
Cheers
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Tom Jessop  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2014 12:04:11(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
Just 1 question, are the AC models 2 or 3 rail before I start looking for the hammer to break open the piggy bank.

Tom in Oz
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2014 13:43:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post
Just 1 question, are the AC models 2 or 3 rail before I start looking for the hammer to break open the piggy bank.

Tom in Oz

AC versions are always 3 rail, as far as I am aware.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 29 April 2014 14:20:43(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
and knowing that there is a lot more to it than "it's HO", I still ask myself if they are truly "universal" mechanically.
AFAIK truly universal wheel sets are possible if you exclude M track and two-rail track with very low profile.
And ESU do not promise that the locos run on M track.
They promise compatibility with K track and C track (with centre rail slider clipped in) and with common two-rail track system (after removing the centre rail pickup).

@Tom:
"AC" is used as a synonym for the Märklin three-rail system, "DC" is a synonym for the two-rail system.
With digital operation, both track systems use neither pure AC nor pure DC.

ESU have made both the BR 215 (this was the first loco from ESU) and the BR 218 (different body, different trucks, different roof).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 29 April 2014 18:06:19(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Thanks Tom.
I would tend to agree with you: "universal" is possible, providing you use K or C-track.
Based on the numerous conversions I have performed, one can find a good compromise with flanges' spacing.
I find 14.0 mm to work well on coaches, providing you have **thinner** flanges than the regular Märklin style.
For loks it should be the same, although it is totally of rhetorical value you use a lok either in 2 or 3 rail configuration, (not both) so "interchangeability" is no issue here.

Also flanges depth can be reduced, up to 0.8mm.
I even have tried to re-use NMRA NEM 25 flanges (0.5 mm) from US equipment and it works almost perfectly except on C-track double slips, where the wheel "dives" into the frog, and the wheel rims aften short with the pukos.

In any case, if the ESU V200 causes trouble(s) , I still have the option to recalibrate the wheel sets anyway!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline biedmatt  
#10 Posted : 29 April 2014 19:38:35(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Their V200 is on my radar screen. It looks like it will be nice.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 30 April 2014 01:13:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have the ESU Br215 in the original red and grey colours. The smoking exhausts and sound are great, but as Monster pointed out, there can be traction issues.

On our club layout, which has a R1 / R2 helix, the Br215 could only pull six four axle tank wagons up the helix. Keep in mind that the layout sequencing is such that trains stop halfway up the helix, and then have to restart up again. It was at the restart that the Br215 has trouble.

On my layout, I have an incline that goes from the lower level to the upper level. The incline rises about 230mm over a 4.5 metre length and is in a straight line, except for a 180 degree R2 / R3 left hand turn at the very top. The Br215 can pull 14 four axle tank wagons up that incline - there is a bit of wheel spinning at the very top, but it does get there.

Overall, I like the loco. I'm not sure that I will be buying any more ESU locos, but that will be because of budgetary reasons rather than any fault of the locos. I will mention that ebay dealer johnvandamme did have the Br 151 for sale some time ago, and he told me he thought they were rubbish and would not be selling any more. He pointed out that the ESU locos are made in South Korea.
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 30 April 2014 05:49:22(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Dave, keep in mind out of 1402 items advertised on ebay, johnvandamme has a total of 3 ESU items on offer, one could get the impression this dealer is not interested in ESU (3), Fleischmann (0), Roco (0) or Brawa (0) products.

400 products including Märklin, Trix and minitrix,
98 products from Viessmann
794 products relating to figures, buildings and scenery material

anybody can make up their own mind on the data above

although I don't have any ESU locos myself one can assume, unless the locos are produced under a subsidy scheme from the income of their digital components, they have extended their product range in the last couple of years. they had some troubles earlier on regarding the distance between wheels.
another function is raising the pantographs on electric locos but the pantographs are not connected to any electrical function and if I would buy one I would have to explore how one can get them electrically connected.

Personally I don't care where they are made so long they perform and the product is not suffering from zinkpest or corrosion and the finished product is delivered in a high standard.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 30 April 2014 07:42:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Dave, keep in mind out of 1402 items advertised on ebay, johnvandamme has a total of 3 ESU items on offer, one could get the impression this dealer is not interested in ESU (3), Fleischmann (0), Roco (0) or Brawa (0) products.
[...]
anybody can make up their own mind on the data above
Roco, Fleischmann, Brawa, and ESU are known to punish dealers who sell cheaply.
A dealer who is famous for selling cheaply won't sell much of those brands.
With those four brands you may get better prices if you ask dealers by e-mail about their prices for steady customers. Therefore eBay is not the best platform if you want to buy new (recent) items from those brands (RoFl and Brawa are known to dump their over-productions into the market with huge discounts, but this is a different matter).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 30 April 2014 08:58:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
.....johnvandamme has a total of 3 ESU items on offer, one could get the impression this dealer is not interested in ESU.......

He usually has more quantities of ESU than that, you might have caught him at a bad time with low stock.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 30 April 2014 09:06:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Monster, what specifically did you alter in regard to the Back EMF CV's? I must admit that I never tried playing around with the decoder settings, but now you've got me thinking! I feel a Lokprogrammer session coming on!
Offline monster134  
#16 Posted : 30 April 2014 10:30:10(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Monster, what specifically did you alter in regard to the Back EMF CV's? I must admit that I never tried playing around with the decoder settings, but now you've got me thinking! I feel a Lokprogrammer session coming on!

Just a quick question, when the loco stops on the helix, is the sound/smoker on? Next time, when it stops, just switch the smoker off and you will see it pull away cleanly. It is not a traction issue. That smoker takes a lot of power. Now, in the Lokprogrammer, I made the controller influence maximum and both K and I stronger. The loadcontrol of the loco will be less laggy and it will respond quicker. On my CS1 I then set the acceleration delay a little longer. Turn the maximum speed down to 150 or so, and it will be much better. More power to the motor from the decoder, quicker. I am planning to play with it a little more over the weekend. It is NOT traction.... you will hear a humm when it stops. The decoder battling to supply power to the motor with all the features on.

You guys are much smarter than me when it comes to electronic stuff like this. Keep me in the loop, maybe you can get even better settings than what I did.

As for the Van Damme dude.... I don't care really what he says, just open the flap on the box and peek inside. There is absolutely nothing commercial on the market in the same leaque when fit and finish are concerned. I man-handled this 215. On and off the layout, body off to peek inside.... back together again, running it over dirty track and she is on 45 hours now, and running as we speak. Nothing broke off, no mold seams.... no plastic solid steps..... Rather you get photo etchings of steps.... brilliant detail on metal bogeys..... hair fine window surrounds, detailed interior, see-through grids...... and suddenly the other manufacturers' stuff looks dated.

I am sorry, I am sure as hell not going to let even Jean Claude van Damme tell me that this is rubbish. LOL It is the evolution of the hobby. Reason why everybody is low on stock, is that ESU can't supply. I am sitting with 9 on pre-order and nothing happens. They are flying of shelves. I am getting a V60 from Kramm. It is a lot of money for a shunter, and that scares me a little, but the customer will decide in the end if I am going to bring in more.

Long story short, does not matter where it is made, if I put a loco on the track, and run over it with a highly powerful digital camera, and I light a cigarette and go sit down and look at the images on a big monitor.... I want to see a train where it is obvious that someone made an effort. These ESU's scream EFFORT. Paint and finish.... detail.... crisp.

Oh... and Dave.... make the turbo a bit louder hehehehe, sounds mean. Another thing, take that pipet ESU puts in the box and throw it away. Good old fashioned syringe, because even the slightest bit of smoke fluid you might mess, runs down the sides of the smoker and straight onto that front bogey. Which renders one traction wheel useless. I think you mentioned that sometimes the smoker only lets out smoke off one stack.... it is air bubbles that cause that. With the syringe I had no problems.

Oh.... hehehehe, and go play a little with the smoke. You will need a solid ten hours inside that decoder. I haven't had this much fun with a locomotive ever.The result I hope, will be a model customized to exactly what I want.....

That is priceless.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by monster134
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 30 April 2014 12:16:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Just a quick question, when the loco stops on the helix, is the sound/smoker on?

Yes it was.

.......Nothing broke off, no mold seams....

Unfortunately, when I first opened the Br215 package after it had arrived from the Lokshop, the loco had broken off its plastic mount while in transit. The loco had moved around inside, and this resulted in a few nasty paint scratches on one side. The pickup shoe was also munted. Lokshop replaced the pickup shoe, and I was able to paint over the scratches with some paint a friend had that correctly matched the grey paint (some years ago he purchased a paint kit with various paints that exactly match the paint used by the DB - I don't think you can get the kit now).

UserPostedImage

Oh... and Dave.... make the turbo a bit louder hehehehe, sounds mean.

Will do. The guy who lent me the paint kit was very impressed by the model, the sounds and the smoking exhausts. He is an avid 215 / 216 / 218 fan and has three or four 1 Gauge models - there are photos of some of them on the forum (search for Railex 2013 / Railex 2012, etc).

Another thing, take that pipet ESU puts in the box and throw it away. Good old fashioned syringe, because even the slightest bit of smoke fluid you might mess, runs down the sides of the smoker and straight onto that front bogey. Which renders one traction wheel useless. I think you mentioned that sometimes the smoker only lets out smoke off one stack.... it is air bubbles that cause that. With the syringe I had no problems.

Yes, I'm already using a syringe - much easier! The fix for air bubbles in the exhaust is to blow down the affected exhaust to clear the air bubbles. But, you're right - I haven't had to do this ever since I've been using the syringe.

It is not a traction issue......

Yes, I think you're right. I put some bullfrog snot on the front and rear driving wheels, but that did not improve anything.
Offline river6109  
#18 Posted : 30 April 2014 13:50:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Riekus, Dave, another option you have by increasing the voltage of the motor, have a look at what voltage the loco is programmed to.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline monster134  
#19 Posted : 30 April 2014 14:03:06(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Just a quick question, when the loco stops on the helix, is the sound/smoker on?

Yes it was.

.......Nothing broke off, no mold seams....

Unfortunately, when I first opened the Br215 package after it had arrived from the Lokshop, the loco had broken off its plastic mount while in transit. The loco had moved around inside, and this resulted in a few nasty paint scratches on one side. The pickup shoe was also munted. Lokshop replaced the pickup shoe, and I was able to paint over the scratches with some paint a friend had that correctly matched the grey paint (some years ago he purchased a paint kit with various paints that exactly match the paint used by the DB - I don't think you can get the kit now).

UserPostedImage

Oh... and Dave.... make the turbo a bit louder hehehehe, sounds mean.

Will do. The guy who lent me the paint kit was very impressed by the model, the sounds and the smoking exhausts. He is an avid 215 / 216 / 218 fan and has three or four 1 Gauge models - there are photos of some of them on the forum (search for Railex 2013 / Railex 2012, etc).

Another thing, take that pipet ESU puts in the box and throw it away. Good old fashioned syringe, because even the slightest bit of smoke fluid you might mess, runs down the sides of the smoker and straight onto that front bogey. Which renders one traction wheel useless. I think you mentioned that sometimes the smoker only lets out smoke off one stack.... it is air bubbles that cause that. With the syringe I had no problems.

Yes, I'm already using a syringe - much easier! The fix for air bubbles in the exhaust is to blow down the affected exhaust to clear the air bubbles. But, you're right - I haven't had to do this ever since I've been using the syringe.

It is not a traction issue......

Yes, I think you're right. I put some bullfrog snot on the front and rear driving wheels, but that did not improve anything.

That must have hurt. Problem is, the locomotives get removed from their cardboard boxes and just the yellow box with flap gets posted. I made it very clear to my supplier, that if that loco arrives here without the ESU packing, I will send it back. It was done for a reason. Very sturdy foam all around the box, which allows absolutely no movement. Hell, it is a M8 capscrew holding the train on that plastic base, can you imagine what type of abuse it had to take, to break clean free???!!! I am surprised it ran at all. I would have asked Lokshop to replace it.

Right, back to business. The way I see it, the decoder is programmed at the factory to make the train slow down prototypically on an uphill. That is where the problem comes in. I think with the smoker running, it slows down so much that the decoder does not let enough juice through to the motor. Now, playing with the power curve, back EMF and the stuff associated with that, I am sure you can get it even better than mine is now. I do have to brag a bit.... I think I have my smoker perfect. Play a little and if it is not too much to ask, make notes of where you are happy with it. I will do the same. Between the two of us we should get a train that satisfies all our needs hehehehe.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by monster134
Offline monster134  
#20 Posted : 09 May 2014 14:12:13(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Ha.... I have got it. Dave, this will work.... First off, for some or other reason, straight out the box, there must be some setting where the locomotive looses a lot of power. So much so, that even with the lokprogrammer on the large scale connections, the locomotive will trip the cab ride when everything is on. On my CS1 I saw the Class 66 pull very close to an amp with everything on. Trust me, I have set EVERYTHING, and with my temper...... I said some hard words. The loco would get to an incline, and a funny hummmmm will make it stop dead. This was blatantly obvious on the test stand as well. No settings seem to have given it enough juice. Like River said, I even set the voltages to max.... hum just gets louder.

At one stage, for some reason, I went to the ESU website to see if I couldn't download another file from a Marklin in there. Which I did, and immediately the train was better. However, the smoker on F3 would not operate unless you assign it. With this setting written down, I reloaded a BR215 v16 file from ESU's website and rewrote the decoder. Guess what..... the hum was gone! I also saw that the settings on the file from the website was completely different to the settings that were loaded on the decoder from the factory.

Back to the layout..... now she could pull 12 coal hoppers up my inclines with just a slight hesitation here and there. At one place it would still slow down to a crawl, but go over. I took a multimeter, and checked my track voltages...... at some points I was down to 12.2V. I checked all my feeder wires, found 2 that were not making contact, fixed that, and the loco performed faultlessly. Lesson one in ESU world..... make sure you have enough juice on the track. This locomotive will tell you very quickly exactly where the low points are.

Right..... so with the track fixed, the train would storm over all my inclines with 28 axles behind it. I started adding wagons.... 18 or so is my limit, then the consist starts pulling the front wagons over. I added bolts and nuts to certain wagons, and added even more wagons. 16, and it would not wheelspin, but just stop..... the hum now barely noticeable. So, I wondered if I could get it to break traction. The 215 only has 2 traction tyres.... how difficult can it be?

Back to the test stand..... Now, if you want to see what an ESU 5 pole can do, put these settings in and be blown away. The motor in the ESU is extremely powerful! It broke traction with 22 wagons behind it. And that is not nice.... trust me. Do not let only two traction tyres fool you. When it does break traction, the whole train shrieks and vibrates..... desperately seeking bite. It is a very good chassis this. Those two traction tyres work at 100% of their capability. As a guideline, I hooked my Marklin MFX BR218 to the same consist.... it also broke traction, just with less drama. It just stopped. In the end, the Marklin could pull exactly the same amount of wagons, with 4 traction tyres. And my Marklin BR218 is the Cine one. 20 hoppers is the limit for both the Marklin and the ESU. My V160 Lollo with 5 pole and MFX managed 15 hoppers. So the ESU is right up there with the best of them traction wise. I am impressed.

I took the class 66 I have on test, and out the box that was even worse. It managed to pull a mere 8 wagons and then break into that dreadful hum. Without touching anything, I just reloaded the ESU class 66 file from their website, and immediately the hum was gone. Funny thing is though, with the class 66 file from their website, you will only have the left hand side headlights working. You need to change the light function in the menu from AUX to front headlight. Weird.

Back to the track.... pulled 20 wagons and slowed down, but did not stop. So, on the test stand I put exactly the same Back EMF settings as I did on the 215...... stand away my friends!!!!!! Take that BigBoy out the way please hehehehe......

Let it be known, that there is only one locomotive in my collection from Marklin, that will pull with an ESU class 66, and that is the V188 double diesel. I have to go clean up still, because with 32 wagons behind it, bolts everywhere to give the wagons extra weight, it pulled the consist over on my one ramp. Without even stopping, it just pulled the NEM coupler on the front wagon clear out the pocket!!!! The motor in the 66 is one helluva torque monster. I am in love.

Right, so here goes.

First off, load the file for the specific ESU you have, straight from their website. Now, do not touch any of the voltages in Driving Characteristics. Leave that as is. Go to motor settings. Use the standard curve and make the minimum speed 3 and the maximum speed 120. Set the regulation reference to 140. K slow to 48, I slow to 0, reference K to 48 and reference I to 32. Controller influence to 255. Switch the rate of back EMF off and set the sampling rate to 8. Go to the smoke unit..... make the fan value maximum and the heat value 89 which relates to just under 70%. Now go see if anything can stop it hehehehe.

If it slows down, you have a track voltage problem right there. Add a feed to the buzzwire. If that is too much hassle, and you just want to test, bent a little single core wire over the centre pukos either side of a track joint. See if it is better. If you drop under 13V it will affect the train.

Now, with that out the way..... the ESU 215 I have is a mule. I want to see what breaks and when. So, it is running close to 24 hours a day. It clocked 389 hours last night at six. It lost a rear buffer somewhere, but that is it. The pick-up shoe makes a distinct line down the middle, I do not know how long that it still going to last. The surface is still smooth, no indentation, it just discolors. Well, the thing still goes, so I will advice on when that packs up. Smoker is set to switch off 40s after it is empty. When I am here, I keep it on and full. When my wife runs it or through the night when I go to bed, it is switched off. Smoker is sitting on 211 hours..... no problems there. The SCNF class 66 is next. It has done about 15 hours this far, and within the next hour it is going to join the 215 in the marathon.

Lastly, as soon as that ESU V200 launches, I am replacing all my Marklins with them. Frankly, I appreciate effort and will pay for it. There is nothing on the market that has given me so much fun as the ESU. There is just something about a fully customized train, to my taste, that cannot be beaten by a train that runs well out the box. It opens a whole new world and I have learned a lot. Thanks ESU.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by monster134
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#21 Posted : 15 February 2015 10:29:19(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
After the BR151 and the Class 77 another jewel has delivered:

UserPostedImage

The video:

UserPostedImage

Now I'm waiting for the Gravita and, over all, the E94
For me these models are the top, what I've asked to Märklin in the last twenty years!
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Alberto Pedrini
Offline mbarreto  
#22 Posted : 15 February 2015 14:00:07(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I totaly agree that Märklin neds to use these "engineering" features in its models. I am very tempted to buy ESU E94 or T16.1 this year.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.