Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : With ref to 2/2014 Insider/Magazin - how many errata entries are needed
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 0 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline clapcott  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2014 02:16:53(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
DO NOT VOTE YET!

This is not a Marklin bash.

It is not uncommon to encounter publications that need errata and I offer a "gamification" of this topic to find out ...
a) those who can be the most pedantic,
b) how much weight is actually applied to the information provided (i.e. is it considered reference level , valid for re-quoting)
c) what people consider acceptable.
d) And most importantly just to list aspects that a new reader might take on face value but really should be qualified, if not corrected.

So rather than "voting" immediately, I suggest people submit their proposed errata allowing for debate and clarification, and for the voting to occur towards the end in order to reflect how many are valid v those that have no value.
Please just keep in mind that a rivet counter might not care about (or appreciate) errors of grammar, and what might be "understood - needing no mention" in one country might be voodoo magic elsewhere.

This IS a trick question!
The scope for debate is the 2/2014 Insider Mail-out , which includes a Insider News and Marklin Magazin
Peter
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2014 02:50:13(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Razz

Mulldog, I think you've previously been warned about deleting posts some time after posting them... It destroys the context of the thread, and I don't like it and neither does Juhan. /BDNZ

Edited by moderator 27 April 2014 10:51:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 27 April 2014 04:10:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Mulldog Lemon Go to Quoted Post
Exclusive magazine is exclusive.

No, it isn't exclusive!

Anyone can subscribe and pay for it!
#4 Posted : 27 April 2014 04:39:48(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Razz
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 27 April 2014 04:56:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Is the magazine available as a subscription for the magazine only?

Yes, I believe so.

From the Marklin Magazine website (http://www.maerklin.de/mm/impressum.php)

Subscription / reader service / re-ordering:
Tel: +49 (0) 40/4 14 48-4 67
Fax +49 (0) 40/4 14 48-4 99
maerklin-magazin@pressup.de
#6 Posted : 27 April 2014 06:08:40(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Razz
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 27 April 2014 08:17:22(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Editor/Typesetter - can't really blame the writer - really just untidy, confusion factor very low.
MM 2014/2 EN : "Quite Simple pulling wires " : pg48 3rd paragraph
current = Our diagram in the middle on the left shows ...
suggested = Our diagram in the middle on the right shows

Edited by user 27 April 2014 11:42:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 27 April 2014 08:38:21(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
The scope for debate is the 2/2014 Insider Mail-out , which includes a Insider News and Marklin Magazin
AFAIK there are four of them: German, English, French, Dutch.

It's a well-known fact that the German edition has more pages and often contains articles in an earlier issue than the other languages because high-quality translations require time.
Thus when pointing out errata, I would consider it useful to also mention the title of the article and the page of that article, not just the page of the magazine.
Then I (and other subscribers of the German edition) would be able to check the errata with the German edition to tell translation errors from author errors.

Re German edition: With issue 1/2014 they came up with a new layout scheme. That issue was a catastrophe with respect to typography: they messed up the majority of apostrophes and also many quote signs. It still advertised the Märklin Web Radio (that is dead for many moons now).
Issue 2/2014 is a big improvement with respect to typography and no longer advertises Märklin Web Radio.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
#9 Posted : 27 April 2014 11:41:52(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Razz

Mulldog, I think you've previously been warned about deleting posts some time after posting them... It destroys the context of the thread, and I don't like it and neither does Juhan. /BDNZ

I changed my comment to Razz. I'm sorry, but not devastated, that you don't appreciate how I amended my comments. If you guys are really that concerned, then take away the edit button. Please don't assume that the rest of the readers can't work out what I said from your quotes of my comments; and your responses to them.

This happened after YOU changed the original context of my post, which included the quoting the entire post as part of my response. If you pay attention to my posting history, you will note that I mostly filter my quotations and then place a response against the filtered comment, let me demonstrate:

Quote:
I think you've previously been warned
You think wrong. Unidentified moderator(s) complained about the work it presented them. I read no threat or warning in those comments.
See how that works?

You should therefore assume that when I post the entire quote, I mean to do that. Please do not edit my comments on a whim, just because YOU don't understand.
You're also a hypocrite. In another topic you accused someone of using foul langauge with words like "arse" - a word that was used as a title: "I got the arse after 24 years" in another topic.

On the issue of swearing and this being a "family" forum, I disagree. Marklin has been advertising its products as "15+" for some time. 15+ here, as I assume in NZ, equates to 'MA ~ Mature Adult'.

YOUR decision to delete the disagreement between Matt and Kimball was BIASED and an hysterical over-reaction. I SAW what Kimball posted initially and it WAS less polite that the comments that were eventually deleted. YOU then locked the thread after deleting the posts and proceeded to post comments in your own favour after that, denying anyone else the opportunity of reply. I demand that restore those deleted posts; or provide an acceptable and justifable reason why you won't do that.

I STAND BY MY OPINION THAT THAT SINGLE THREAD DEGRADED THIS FORUM IN SO MANY WAYS. So much respect was lost...

Now. If you don't like me posting here, then ban me. I previously asked for my account to be disabled, AS A DIRECT CONSEQUENCE of your comments.
My account was re-enabled, just as I was getting ready to ask for that. You can join whatever dots into whatever picture you like with that.

Razz

UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#10 Posted : 27 April 2014 11:47:30(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Writer?/Proof reader? - sloppy, confusion factor low but significant to do a double take.
MM 2014/2 EN : "Short and to the point" : pg57 2nd paragraph
current = (item 02424) ...
suggested = (item [b]02421
) ...

Edited by user 27 April 2014 21:40:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
#11 Posted : 27 April 2014 12:28:05(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Writer?/Proof reader? - sloppy, confusion factor low but significant to do a double take.
MM 2014/2 EN : "Short and to the point" : pg57 2nd paragraph
current = (item 02424) ...
suggested = (item [b]02421

There's no need to continue this farce.
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 27 April 2014 12:29:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
This happened after YOU changed the original context of my post, which included the quoting the entire post as part of my response.

Forum and internet etiquette stipulates that you don't repost entire posts, and that has been discussed here many times. I'm sorry if you don't 'get' it, but please don't do that - it makes threads very messy to read.

Quote:
I think you've previously been warned
You think wrong. Unidentified moderator(s) complained about the work it presented them. I read no threat or warning in those comments.

The said Moderator certainly feels he gave you a warning, also given with the blessing of our Webmaster.

You're also a hypocrite. In another topic you accused someone of using foul langauge with words like "arse" - a word that was used as a title: "I got the arse after 24 years" in another topic.

No one ever said that being a Moderator was an easy job!

YOUR decision to delete the disagreement between Matt and Kimball was BIASED and an hysterical over-reaction. I SAW what Kimball posted initially and it WAS less polite that the comments that were eventually deleted. YOU then locked the thread after deleting the posts and proceeded to post comments in your own favour after that, denying anyone else the opportunity of reply.

Like I said, no one ever said being a Moderator was easy.

I STAND BY MY OPINION THAT THAT SINGLE THREAD DEGRADED THIS FORUM IN SO MANY WAYS.

And yet you are now hijacking Peter's thread.........

......then ban me.

Be careful what you wish for.
#13 Posted : 27 April 2014 12:33:45(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Be careful what you wish for.

You missed it.

DON'T THREATEN ME.

ACT.

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 27 April 2014 12:48:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Sorry Peter that you have to put up with the hijacking of your thread. Now, can we all please get back to the topic in hand.
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 27 April 2014 12:55:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Wow!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline biedmatt  
#16 Posted : 27 April 2014 15:13:19(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I do not know how I ended up at this thread since I am neither an Insider (never really made sense to me for a manufacturer who sells products to exclude customers), nor a subscriber to Marklin magazine. Anyway, for your reading entertainment, the English add copy for the Suzuka 8 hour motorcycle race from about 10 years ago. I first caught wind of this in the magazine Roadracing World. For those who may be unfamiliar, Suzuka was and may still be owned by Honda. Perhaps the worst translation I have ever read:

Suzuka 8 Hour motorcycle race English press release

You can enjoy the pool and the ride at Motopia with the watch-a-race
ticket.

Watching a race is also OK with Summer Passport.

"Coca-Cola" Suzuka 8hours World Endurance Championship Race becomes
the twice enjoyable!!

"Coca-Cola" Suzuka 8hours World Endurance Championship Race changed
more greatly. It came to be able to enjoy the pool and the ride all at
Motopia with the advance-saled watch-a-race ticket this year. Because
it is a race of the length even number place, "8hours Endurance,"
literally the endurance is necessary for those who watch.

In the vicinity of each watching stand, there is variously a method to
cool down by the pleasantness degree improvement plan. But if you have
the advance-saled watch-a-race ticket, it is possible to cool you down
in the pool, and also you will be able to ride free all of Motopia
ejaculation machines so you can get cold sweat with it to cool you
down! (Note; Effective for only a day period). Oppositely speaking,
the race watching in a free seat area is also possible with Summer
Passport so you can decide the watching a race plan to be matched to
your own style of the play.

The method variations of the watching "8hours Endurance" having
increased, you can find your own watching style, and in the festival
at midsummer, pleasantly rise and assist. Finally share the big
impression with fireworks in the finale!!

As to the other matter in this thread, I do feel some threads are being closed before their time. My feelings are they will ultimately play out and interest will wain in the thread and it will come to an end without specific action being needed. As to the dispute between myself and Kimball, we worked it out like adults and Kimball edited his post removing the things I found offensive. For this action, I thanked his post. We may still disagree on the subject content and details, but ultimately we do respect each other opinions.

Edit: Please do not interpret my use of the word "adult" in the last paragraph above suggests that others here are not adult. I make no such judgements.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kweekalot  
#17 Posted : 28 April 2014 13:20:28(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   

....YOUR decision to delete the disagreement between Matt and Kimball was BIASED and an hysterical over-reaction.....

Bigdaddynz is accused falsely here.
Not Dave but I deleted that post in the 'Do you prefer MFX or DCC?' thread, because I thought it was inappropriate language for a (family) MRR forum.

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 28 April 2014 13:43:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post

Perhaps the worst translation I have ever read:

LOL Laugh BigGrin

Good one Matt!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 28 April 2014 20:51:10(UTC)
H0

I found no serious errors in the German edition of MM 2/2014.

On p. 3 they write "Dm 3" (on pages 8 and 24 they correctly write "Dm3").

On p. 6 they write "V 200.116" (no dot used in Germany for loco numbers).

On pages 14 and 18 they show pictures of an E 44 that only has one pantograph raised (such a loco would raise both pantographs during normal operation - unless one pantograph was out of order).

On p. 18 they write "VT 95.5" instead of "VT 95.9".

Slightly off topic: in the manual for the 37040, they translate the German "PSi" (indicated HP) as "pounds per square inch".

And from the 37921 manual (and also several others): "Under no circumstances should transformers rated for an input of 220 volts be connected to the American 110 volt household current
system."
What they are trying to say: Do not use transformers for 220 V or 110 V, use new transformers for 230 V or 120 V instead. They should have proof readers at least for safety warnings ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0