Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hackcell  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2014 16:53:52(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Hello,

After some reading, it seems the 3 pole motors are more like a joke than a good motor. I was wondering what about the motors used in Brawa or MTH locomotives?
I haven't seen either good or bad comments about it.

Thanks!
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2014 19:06:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I think I would disagree with your statement that 3 pole motors are a joke. I have no problem with any of my newer locos with 3 pole motors.

Some have found that they don't like how the newer Märklin decoders perform with the 3 pole motors, but not everybody shares that view.

Some other manufacturers also use 3 pole motors, such as Hag.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline jeehring  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2014 19:11:04(UTC)
jeehring

Danilo,
....there is a kind of rule : when nothing is written (no precision, no technical comment, no info) you may suspect the presence of a 3 poles motor .In general they are rather proud to announce a 5 poles motor as a sale argument.

As for me, actually, you will never make me believe that for a miniature train, a 3 poles solution is better than a 5 poles solution, even with digital drive...
I still need to be convinced...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 21 April 2014 19:28:35(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
I was wondering what about the motors used in Brawa or MTH locomotives?
Several MTH locos are described as having "Powerful 5-Pole Precision Flywheel Equipped Skew-Wound Balanced Motor".

Several Brawa locos are described as having "Schräg genuteter 5-poliger Motor mit 2 Schwungmassen".
Which also translates to skew-wound five-pole motor with flywheels.

And what do we find in the description of Märklin #37307 from 2010: "can motor with a 5-pole, skewed armature and a flywheel"

HAG uses three-pole motors. Swiss made high precision motors. They run excellent and I don't hesitate to buy more HAG locos.

Piko use three-pole motors. They run well and IMHO provide good value for the money.

Check each product description and if it provides no information about the motor, assume it is three-pole. In some cases the decoder makes the difference between a good runner and a shelf queen.

I don't have MTH locos. My Brawa locos run well (but the motor is not always quiet - tiny motors have to run at high RPM; large Brawa locos run quiet).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2014 19:35:52(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
L.S. Models and A.C.M.E. use e.g. the Canon Precision EN22 motor, it is a screwed 5-pole motor with much power and very good performance.

The BR 120 and the Ram with this motor performed with a very slow start speed and high Vmax. The latest test of the L.S. Models BR 101 with this motor performed not so good, the minimum speed was 12km/h, which is much to fast.