Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2014 10:59:37(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Hello all,
I'm new to this group and I'm from India.
I have a query:
I've recently purchased a PIKO 57121 analog set (http://www.piko-shop.de/index.php?vw_type=artikel&vw_id=9220). Is there a tweak available to make this Piko run this on Maerklin C tracks? (As there is no pickup shoe in Piko ). Please assist.

regards
Madhu

Edited by user 21 October 2014 14:55:34(UTC)  | Reason: Status changed to Solved

Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2014 11:36:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Madhu,

The Piko analogue starter sets are 2 rail DC, and are not compatible with Marklin. It may be possible to convert this loco by adding a pickup shoe and a decoder, but it may not be a trivial conversion. Piko sell many of their locos in AC digital versions, but as far as i know the starter sets are all 2 rail DC
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Renato  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2014 23:45:02(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Madhu,

Welcome to the forum

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2014 08:52:22(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post
Is there a tweak available to make this Piko run this on Maerklin C tracks?
Piko also makes AC versions of this loco, so all parts needed for a three-rail version should be available as spare parts.

You'll have to adjust the wheel spacing or replace them with "AC" wheels that already have the correct spacing.
A centre rail slider has to be added. One or two wires inside the loco must be re-soldered.
Finally add a decoder of your choice.

Or sell the "DC" loco and buy the "AC" loco with slider, appropriate wheel sets and decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#5 Posted : 20 April 2014 06:13:06(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I am not sure if our new friend meant he wanted to use Piko in AC or simply with C track.

If the latter, TRIX ( division of Marklin, so to speak) does sell C tracks in DC (Trix is DC, two rails), as a result, you can use Trix C tracks that look identicsal to Marklin C tracks, but do not have the middle rail.

My suggestion: keep Piko side by side with Marklin and find out which is better for you. In the process, try some Trix locos, but they are more expensive normally than Piko locos (so are Marklin locos).

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!!!!

BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2014 11:37:09(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Thank you verymuch all for the replies!

@Baggio, as I've already purchased PIKO, I will run it on a separate track (Should not have bought it:()

@All, Could you validate the following understanding of mine?

1. Maerklin H0 wheels are not insulated

2. The Piko DC train coaches which I have, can be run on Maerklin AC track as the wheels are insulated (it does not matter for maerklin as two rails are of the same polarity).
However Maerklin coaches can not be run on Piko DC track as the wheels are not insulated. Using such an arrangement will only result in short circuit

thanks in advance
Madhu
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2014 13:47:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you verymuch all for the replies!

@Baggio, as I've already purchased PIKO, I will run it on a separate track (Should not have bought it:()

@All, Could you validate the following understanding of mine?

1. Maerklin H0 wheels are not insulated

2. The Piko DC train coaches which I have, can be run on Maerklin AC track as the wheels are insulated (it does not matter for maerklin as two rails are of the same polarity).
However Maerklin coaches can not be run on Piko DC track as the wheels are not insulated. Using such an arrangement will only result in short circuit

thanks in advance
Madhu

You are correct, but be aware that the wheel dimensions for 2 rail and 3 rail are slightly different. You can usually run 2 rail wheels on 3 rail track, but you might get some derailments at turnouts. I have several Piko coaches and wagons, and on most of them I have obtained proper 3 rail standard wheels from Piko to replace the factory fitted 2 rail wheels.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF