Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnalexander16  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2014 10:42:07(UTC)
johnalexander16

South Africa   
Hi All

I have question regarding Marklin turn out motors. I have had 2 batches that just die. They work well for a few months then start operating in one direction and then usually stop altogether.

Anybody else have the same problem ? Any solutions ?

Best wishes

John
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2014 10:45:44(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: johnalexander16 Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

I have question regarding Marklin turn out motors. I have had 2 batches that just die. They work well for a few months then start operating in one direction and then usually stop altogether.

Best wishes

John

Can you expand on your comment with some examples, ie part/item numbers?

There was a problem many years ago with the K-track motor and the end shut-off switch, and I recall a topic a while ago regarding some C-track motors failing early.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2014 14:00:53(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: johnalexander16 Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

Best wishes

John

and I recall a topic a while ago regarding some C-track motors failing early.

Cheers

Steve

Yeah, I recall that as well and from what I remember there was a fix (of sorts) for it.

I'm knackered and about to hit the sack, I'll have a snoop tomorrow morning and see if I can find the thread or article about it, hopefully with the fix (bodge)
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline MikeR  
#4 Posted : 31 March 2014 14:57:14(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi John

Apparently the problem is the micro switches located at the each end of the coil. These fail after some time but as long as you are using a digital system these can be 'shorted out' as the system will limit the pulse length needed to switch the turnout. In analog mode the micro switches can also be 'shorted out' as long as you are careful to limit the length of the pulse used to switch the turnout..

Have a look at the link below which includes a video showing how you can correct the problem on the 74990/1 turnout motors. I have applied this procedure to all of my turnout motors and to date have had no problems. Friends who have been running trains for some years have also applied this procedure and the turnout problems they had disappeared.

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...rs-74990.aspx#post405391

Regards

Mike
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MikeR
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2014 02:03:41(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Morning John,

I've spent all morning trolling and can not find the article I was thinking about however the post Mike has referenced above covers the same details as the one I can't find.

Guess the only difference was it has step by step photos as opposed to a video, (easier for old gits like me to follow).

Best of luck with them, I'm starting to get worried myself now as I have around 60+ of them packed away until we move to north Qld later this year (new layout, yippee!) and all of them are well and truly out of warranty.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2014 03:03:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
John,

there have been 2 scenarios with turnout solenoids,

K-track: these solenoids had been faulty for one reason: the solder had overlapped two separate electrical circuits and therefore the power was never switched off and eventually they've burned out. or if they don't wok, the end cut off power plate is not touching the contact.

C-track: 2 faults I've experienced: a.) the circuit board was faulty: no contact, b.) the micro switches: what I've noticed the micro switches lever didn't have the spring action anymore to go back to the starting position: reason: when they've soldered the micro switch onto the circuit board with excessive heat and therefore diminishing the spring action of the lever, the result: no more electrical contact, the same happened with the C-track switching tracks (micro switch)

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109