Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline taliesin  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2014 22:58:16(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Hi all, i am new here and possibly these questions have been asked before but here goes,
can a digital ho engine be run on analogue? if so what controller would you suggest.
Also i understand the digits in the box code mean something, so for instance what does the box code 3752 signify?
Finally for now, to go digital is it best to get a start set and possibly end up with an unwanted loco and stock or get individual components? thanks Rob
Offline Renato  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2014 23:51:21(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes: a digital H0 locomotive can run on analogue, providing that you use the new white transformer (not the old blue transformers that can damage the locomotive decoders).

If you go on digital the start set is a good choice as you save money: most of the times you have the digital controller as a bonus.

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline taliesin  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2014 23:58:38(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Thanks Renato, do the start sets contain the full digital system or a cheap version? Cheers Rob
Offline petestra  
#4 Posted : 31 March 2014 00:06:03(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi, Take it from an old Märklin old-timer's stats.

1964-Oct. 2013; Only analogue

Oct.2013-present; Analogue & Digital. Now I love both but if I were just starting out I'd definitely choose digital.

Have fun, Peter ThumpUp Smile
Offline Renato  
#5 Posted : 31 March 2014 00:08:06(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Rob,

A good choice is to buy a Start set including the MS2 (60653) and power supply, tracks and of course locomotive and wagons.

This controller is better than the infrared controller, as the MS2 can control digitally also the turnouts (you have to buy also the motors and the decoders for the turnouts).

Cheers

Renato

Offline kbvrod  
#6 Posted : 31 March 2014 00:28:05(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: Renato Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes: a digital H0 locomotive can run on analogue, providing that you use the new white transformer (not the old blue transformers that can damage the locomotive decoders).

Blink Blink Blink

Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 31 March 2014 03:06:58(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

If you go on digital the start set is a good choice as you save money: most of the times you have the digital controller as a bonus.

Cheers

Renato

As above, just be aware also that any digital 'features' of the loco such as Headlights, Telex, Smoke etc will not work under analogue.

I'll further confuse the issue by noting that in some cases (depending on the decoder), the headlights on certain decoders may operate just like they do in analogue, ie they will change direction, but will also increase or decrease in brightness depending on the speed of the loco - if I recall, some decoders have a setting to activate this mode.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 31 March 2014 04:18:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: taliesin Go to Quoted Post
...what does the box code 3752 signify?

3700 series locos indicate that they are early digital locos.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 31 March 2014 07:58:06(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
...what does the box code 3752 signify?

3700 series locos indicate that they are early digital locos.

Early yes, but at least it's high-efficiency 5-pole, it 'could' be worse and be a 36xx item - first generation digital. Blushing

37xx is still first generation but performance definitely improved over 3-pole (poles referring to the motor armature, the more there are the smoother it runs).

Assuming what you have is actually 3752, this was a one-time item produced in 1995, and among the first of the Swiss 460 Loco models with very distinctive and colourful advertising, there were a large number of different models produced and collecting them all would require quite a large display cabinet (and an even larger wallet!) - I've seen a large collection of them and it's pretty impressive.

3752 is the so-called "Alpine Loco", attached below is the page from the 1995/96 catalogue with the item info... (hope it's interesting)

Cheers

Steve
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
3752-AlpineLok-1995.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2014 08:22:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
37xx is still first generation
I'd call 37xx the second generation (with 36xx being the first generation).

37xxx can be anything from second generation through seventh (eighth?) generation digital and ref. numbers have become meaningless.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline taliesin  
#11 Posted : 31 March 2014 08:43:25(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Thanks for all the replies, yes I do own a 3752 as I thought the livery was so bizarre I just had to have one. At the time they were hugely expensive, to me anyway, and rather thin on the ground so it's taken the best part of 20 years to cure that itch. Would I be correct in thinking that all Marklin digital controllers would operate it ok or do I need to match one of a similar age? Cheers Rob
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 31 March 2014 09:49:23(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks for all the replies, yes I do own a 3752 as I thought the livery was so bizarre I just had to have one. At the time they were hugely expensive, to me anyway, and rather thin on the ground so it's taken the best part of 20 years to cure that itch. Would I be correct in thinking that all Marklin digital controllers would operate it ok or do I need to match one of a similar age? Cheers Rob

Any Marklin digital controller will control any Marklin digital locomotive, regardless of age.

Some of the simpler controllers, previously known as Delta, will only control a subset of the digital addresses (Delta addresses 1-4), and none of the functions, but will still run any loco provided they can be reprogrammed to one of the Delta addresses.

I would recommend the MS2 to get you started in the digital world.

http://www.maerklin.com/...ch%2Fproduct_search.html
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Renato  
#13 Posted : 31 March 2014 12:14:05(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Blink Blink Blink

Hi Kevin,

I suggested to run a digital H0 locomotive on analogue using the new white transformer, as this is electrically safer than the old blue transformers.
The decoder installed in the locomotive is of the older type and not an MFX one, so the old blue transformers could be used.

Do you agree?

Cheers

Renato
Offline taliesin  
#14 Posted : 31 March 2014 12:40:53(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Well i have looked around and found a digital start set for sale, number 29720 which i think contains what i need to get started. From what i can make out from pictures it contains the MS2 controller and it's uk spec so has the correct voltage power pack.
Hopefully this will give me a good start and i have also bought a reasonably new catalogue of ebay to give me an idea of whats available nowadays as for some reason there does not appear to be many, or any? uk dealers nowadays, cheers to everyone for your help, Rob
Offline Renato  
#15 Posted : 31 March 2014 12:59:02(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Rob,

Good choice !

You will have some sounds to operate.

Cheers

Renato
Offline taliesin  
#16 Posted : 31 March 2014 13:26:36(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Thanks Renato, sounds as well, looks like i am going to be on a steep learning curve. First up will be just getting it connected up and moving, then adding some more track, then coaches for the SBB460 etc etc cheers Rob
Offline kbvrod  
#17 Posted : 31 March 2014 15:35:36(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Renato!

Hi Kevin,

I suggested to run a digital H0 locomotive on analogue using the new white transformer, as this is electrically safer than the old blue transformers.
The decoder installed in the locomotive is of the older type and not an MFX one, so the old blue transformers could be used.

Do you agree?

In a way,if checked there is nothing wrong with the old transformers,then they can be used. As I don't have any mfx loks better safe than very sorry Cool ,I use to set up an oval of M-track and 'break' in my 37XX locs and use a smaller transformer from my 2955 started set. I then got a couple of M 280's off eBay,one was used to update my IB on the desktop away from the layout and the other was used for model lighting on the layout.

Best,Dirt.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline steventrain  
#18 Posted : 31 March 2014 18:13:44(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum!
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline taliesin  
#19 Posted : 31 March 2014 18:29:38(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Thanks Stephen, cheers Rob
Offline taliesin  
#20 Posted : 31 March 2014 19:07:08(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
I can only wait for the postman now, whilst i am full of questions what coaches would be suitable to run with 3752 SBB 460? cheers Rob