Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2014 11:23:50(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Greetings all,

Does anyone have the Faller Bietschtal Bridge (#120535) and running double tracks over it ?

How does it hold up to load ?

I love this bridge and for my purposes it is the only one that will fit into the space (read chasm) and also mesh with era 2/3.

My biggest concern is if it will take the weight of 2 x BR 96's double heading as well as a 53 going the other way. This of course it worst case scenario.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2014 18:13:39(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Shane,all,
Well I never heard of one collapsing!BigGrin
The thing to remember when building any large structure is to take-your-time.Let the glue thoroughly dry.Have plenty of clamps,jigs and a flat work surface for it.If you can scan the instructions and post them,we can go from there,...

Dr D
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2014 00:58:23(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
How do Kevin,

Its still on the "will I, won't I" list although I am fairly sure I'll end up asking Carey to get me one when he does his next order.

I've had a good look thru the instructions

Faller instructions

(in case direct linking don't work; http://www.faller.de/xs_...tungen/120535_anl_01.pdf )

and it does look as though it should support a fair weight however I think that it will be essential to anchor the bottom inner piers to ensure the loads are properly distributed. Otherwise........... guess I'd be a lot happier if I knew someone that had one and ran twin tracks with a fair load without issues.

Due to the way its made I see no way to reinforce it in any way without it buggering the whole thing.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2014 02:57:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have the Faller Bietschtal Bridge (#120535) and running double tracks over it ?

.....I'd be a lot happier if I knew someone that had one and ran twin tracks with a fair load without issues.

I have 2 of these bridges - one on my home layout, the other on my H0 module which we use as part of our modular layout at our Marklin Club, both set up for double tracked running.

Recently we ran 2 BR44 double headed Langer Heinrich trains (i.e. 4 locos in total), one with 56 ore cars, the other with 46 ore cars on the modular layout. This included running both trains over my Bietschtal Bridge module (both at the same time) without any trouble.

I don't think you will have a problem with 2 BR96's or a BR53 running over your bridge.

A video of the running session can be seen here

The module with the bridge is to the left of the module with the reddish brown baseboard that the trains are both running over when the video starts, although you can't actually see the bridge in the video! (You can see me ducking down at the left, watching the trains going over the bridge at the start of the video)

Due to the way its made I see no way to reinforce it in any way without it buggering the whole thing.

No need to do that, mine are just sitting on a suitable platform, and hot glued into place. No modifications are necessary.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2014 03:20:02(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Thanks very much for that David, you have put my mind at rest.

Time to email Carey and confirm the order.

Cheers.
Offline Shamu  
#6 Posted : 07 April 2014 07:03:34(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Thanks very much for that David, you have put my mind at rest.

Time to email Carey and confirm the order.

Cheers.

Well as Carey was having trouble sourcing one for me what drops in my lap this AM.

A "Bietschtal" kit new in the box for AU $75. Ok so the Ton with postage.

Thanks Carey for putting me onto it BigGrin
Shamu attached the following image(s):
Bietschtal.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Larry  
#7 Posted : 07 April 2014 07:52:26(UTC)
Larry

United States   
I had the same concerns about this Faller bridge. For this reason, I decided to place a piece of long but thin piece of sanded wood on the top of the bride and used that as the base for 2 lengths of C track. This worked great for connecting the ends which I made longer than the length of the bridge.

It is an incredibly great looking bridge. Probably the biggest eye catching bridge of any on a Marklin or any HO layout.

Good luck!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Larry
Offline Shamu  
#8 Posted : 07 April 2014 08:35:14(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Typical, find something after the event. Blushing

If this don't break it nothing will !

Just found this one which is a better idea of what its like..........

can't wait to get mine sorted Drool
Offline MikeR  
#9 Posted : 07 April 2014 10:22:43(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Shane and others

I have also included the Bietschtal bridge with double track on my layout which is currently under construction. I will have double track over the bridge with 2 sets of high speed C-track turnouts (24711 and 24712) on the bridge. The width of the tracks using these turnouts is almost perfect for the bridge. I am expecting to run my trains quite slowly over the bridge especially when negotiating the turnouts as there may be a bit of side force.

My wife loves the bridge and insisted that I include it on my layout planning. It will be a feature although its inclusion on the layout was quite difficult as I do not really have the space.

I am about to start building the bridge kit but have decided to first build a strong foundation to support the bridge at the ends and under the arch. Placing the bridge will then be a lot easier as it can be built into its final position. The wiring for the control of the turnouts will be run back under each of the tracks to the start of the bridge.

Mike
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline Shamu  
#10 Posted : 11 April 2014 06:20:01(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Yeah, it arrived in todays mail. Love

Got busted by the missus pulling it out of the box and got told in no uncertain terms to put it away and "Don't touch" until we move up near the grandkids. Crying (think I'm going to be in BIG trouble next week or so as all the other stuff turns up)

Originally Posted by: Larry Go to Quoted Post
I had the same concerns about this Faller bridge. For this reason, I decided to place a piece of long but thin piece of sanded wood on the top of the bride and used that as the base for 2 lengths of C track. This worked great for connecting the ends which I made longer than the length of the bridge.

It is an incredibly great looking bridge. Probably the biggest eye catching bridge of any on a Marklin or any HO layout.

Good luck!

Yeah I was concerned but after David put my mind at rest I was far less concerned and certainly after finding that video of a F7 (I think don't know US diesels) as well as 2 BigBoys going over it I'm not worried any more. BigGrin

Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post
Hi Shane and others

I have also included the Bietschtal bridge with double track on my layout which is currently under construction. I will have double track over the bridge with 2 sets of high speed C-track turnouts (24711 and 24712) on the bridge. The width of the tracks using these turnouts is almost perfect for the bridge. I am expecting to run my trains quite slowly over the bridge especially when negotiating the turnouts as there may be a bit of side force.

My wife loves the bridge and insisted that I include it on my layout planning. It will be a feature although its inclusion on the layout was quite difficult as I do not really have the space.

I am about to start building the bridge kit but have decided to first build a strong foundation to support the bridge at the ends and under the arch. Placing the bridge will then be a lot easier as it can be built into its final position. The wiring for the control of the turnouts will be run back under each of the tracks to the start of the bridge.

Mike

Yeah, that's my plan as well, doing a module for the bridge and slot that into the layout (along with one for the turntable and Bonn station w/- 8 covered platforms as well).

Not allowed to build mine till we move Cursing Crying

Oh well years end with luck RollEyes
Offline rschaffr  
#11 Posted : 11 April 2014 13:50:37(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Sorry for coming late to this discussion, but I can verify that you should have no trouble running two way traffic on the bridge. Here is mine:

UserPostedImage

If you are interested, my journey of installing this bridge is at http://www.sem-co.com/~r...etschtal/bietschtal.html
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rschaffr
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 11 April 2014 13:54:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Some photos of my 2 bridges

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Firstly, the bridge that went into my module

UserPostedImage

And secondly, the bridge that is installed on my layout.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Alsterstreek  
#13 Posted : 02 July 2014 00:25:34(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
OK, only single track Bietschtal Bridge, but I love the approach!
BigGrin
Alsterstreek attached the following image(s):
bt1.jpg
bt2.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline michelvr  
#14 Posted : 02 July 2014 02:17:32(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Shamu and fellow forum members,

Here's another picture of the Bietschtal Bridge installed on my double track main line. I must confess that I had doubts about the strength of the bridge when I was putting it together. All that was forgotten when the bridge was completed. I soon realized that the engineering that went into the bridge kit was as real as the original! It's strong, robust and great! Please note that I still have to install the side railings on the bridge. Ballasting and weathering of the bridge and track still needs to be done, ditto with the landscaping!
Flapper

Michel

Edited by user 06 July 2014 16:06:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Lollo  
#15 Posted : 06 July 2014 01:33:56(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi Shane,

Our club layout has this bridge. Pic posted. It is quite robust, and looks fantastic.
Our club & two others are hosting a Model Train Exhibition next weekend called RailX. I think our bridge valley section gets the most interest.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Lollo