Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rayson  
#1 Posted : 25 March 2014 01:54:28(UTC)
rayson

United States   
My family had a Marklin set-up when I was a kid in the 50’s. The track looked like M track, but with a solid center rail instead of the studs. The transformer was a 280 Super. The locomotive and cars were all metal and beautifully detailed. In the 80’s I inherited all of this, added some used M track, and built a pretty decent layout on a 4x8 sheet of plywood – mountains, tunnel, bridge, lake, and lots of buildings. I learned that for me the joy was in the building, so once it was completed I rarely operated it (but it did work after cleaning the dust off the track). I recently tore the whole thing down and moved the parts to a different room (there was no way to get the 4x8 up the stairs). I’m thinking of building a new layout, roughly twice the size (2 4x8’s) and I have questions.
1. Digital? What’s digital? Since this is all about reliving my childhood, I don’t think I want to go there. Will I regret that choice?
2. I’ve read enough on this forum to figure I should get a new transformer. The 6646 is available new for about $150 (I believe this has the right voltage for the US). Will that run my 50’s loco and my couple of others from the 60’s-70’s? Are there other choices that are not as old as my 280 (with it’s frayed cord) and would cost a little less?
3. I have lots of M track but I always thought it looked, well . . . fake. Is the C track more realistic? The K track looks like way too much work. I’m thinking if I went with C I could still use M in the back or in tunnels where it doesn’t show. Considering the cost, is C different enough to make a difference?
4. I can’t be the first to put 2 4x8’s together in an L (actually, I’m planning on cutting each in half so I have 4 4x4’s – easier to move). Is there a source for track plans that fit this shape?
Any other advice for a returning railroader would be greatly appreciated!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rayson
Offline YannisB  
#2 Posted : 25 March 2014 03:01:59(UTC)
YannisB

United States   
Hi rayson,
I am a hard-core analogue operator with my entire layout of 32 trains operating on straight electromechanical relays (see posting "Building my New Layout").
I am not knocking digital at all. It has tremendous possibilities, and realism, but it is also expensive and takes aways all the nostalgia of those 50s.
I used M track, but in retrospect if I did not have all that M track, I would use C. It's better, more reliable, and if you stay analogue, the plastic base will enable you to design and make many track contacts you can not make with the all-metal M.
If you decide to go digital, you have to modify your locos; there are many experts in this forum who will help you. On the other hand, I will be happy to give you all kinds of ideas and tips if you go analogue. PM me when you decide.
As for plans, why don't you think of something you would like to represent, it could be your own "happy place", and try to materialize it.

Yannis
Offline foumaro  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2014 05:30:29(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
The better option if it is possible for you and i mean if you have the space in your home and money to buy other stuff is to keep all these great classics as they are now,built a perfect analog layout and begin to buy new digital stuff and learn about the new digital epoch of the hobby,and later when you are ready build a new digital layout.BigGrin
Offline rbw993  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2014 17:33:20(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Rayson,
Welcome to the forum. Depending upon where you live there may be someone nearby who could help you directly. As an additional resource there are chapters of the European Train Enthusiasts (ETE) around the country. Not all are Marklinists but many are.

Roger
Offline Renato  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2014 19:27:48(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Rayson,

Welcome to the forum.

I think you already know you can use together M- and C-tracks by means of the transition track.

Cheers

Renato