Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hackcell  
#1 Posted : 24 March 2014 01:48:08(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Hello,

I want to build a two layers layout, having the bottom/subway layer running (in the meantime) a freight locomotive pulling intermodal cars. Based on the Marklin catalog, to have a 104.5 mm difference between levels (this based in the ramps building model) I need a 1,62 mts long ramp. I want to set a 12 cms / 4.7 inch difference between layers, this in order to have the intermodals running over C tracks without problem.

My question is: What's the best angle / shortest ramp that I can use to maximize space usage and to avoid problems like a very high angle, giving a hard time to the locomotive pulling the cars.

Needless to say, my drawing skills suck.

Thanks!!
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Renato  
#2 Posted : 24 March 2014 11:38:36(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi,

I made a mathematical calculation: in order to use the same slope used by Märklin (1620 mm of track to raise of 104,5 mm), to have a raise of 120 mm you need 1860 mm of track and that matches to an angle of 3,6985 degrees.

Cheers

Renato
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Renato
Offline BrandonVA  
#3 Posted : 24 March 2014 14:59:06(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hi,

Up to 4% grade should be ok. If you are running very long trains, the smaller the grade the better. 2% grades seem to have no impact on operations at all on my layout.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Hackcell  
#4 Posted : 24 March 2014 16:33:18(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Hello everybody,

The idea is to have a 2 meter long train running in the "subway" area. It is a 3,20 meters long layout. Will a bigger slope be a problem?
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 24 March 2014 16:40:43(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I believe there is a confusion between angle and gradient here. Both above examples have a 6.45% slope which is too high for a straight section of track and impossible to master in a curve. Thus, for climbing 12 cm at a (decent) 4% slope, one needs 300 cm of track. And according to my experience a 4% slope is borderline for a 200 cm long train.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Hackcell  
#6 Posted : 24 March 2014 17:03:03(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
I believe there is a confusion between angle and gradient here. Both above examples have a 6.45% slope which is too high for a straight section of track and impossible to master in a curve. Thus, for climbing 12 cm at a (decent) 4% slope, one needs 300 cm of track. And according to my experience a 4% slope is borderline for a 200 cm long train.

Correct me if I'm wrong; if I want to create this slope including a curve to maximize space, I have to start the gradient, then the curves must be in a totally flat area, and then continue with the gradient?

A 300 cms straight slope might cause space issues, specially if the curves for the intermodal cars are R3.
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline hxmiesa  
#7 Posted : 24 March 2014 18:15:11(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
If you want to be fairly certain that all your Märklin- trains can run up the ramp, you´d better stay below 3%.
But... Depending on the type of trains and Märklin loks you use, you can probably use up to 10% (!) incline on a straight.
Curves should have less incline -say half of the normal, and you shouldn´t install switches on the inclined sections.
Also remember to start and stop the inclined section with a few tracks gradually transitioning between the level and the inclined tracks. You´ll probably loose even more ramp-length on that account, but it is essential to avoid de-coupling and stalling.

If you are not going to run other trains, then do a test right now; see how much your trains can take without suffering. There´s no better way to answer your questions than that!!! ;-)

If you run non-Märklin materiel, or maybe lokos without traction-tires, the incline should be even less...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Hackcell  
#8 Posted : 24 March 2014 18:37:20(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
If you want to be fairly certain that all your Märklin- trains can run up the ramp, you´d better stay below 3%.
But... Depending on the type of trains and Märklin loks you use, you can probably use up to 10% (!) incline on a straight.
Curves should have less incline -say half of the normal, and you shouldn´t install switches on the inclined sections.
Also remember to start and stop the inclined section with a few tracks gradually transitioning between the level and the inclined tracks. You´ll probably loose even more ramp-length on that account, but it is essential to avoid de-coupling and stalling.

If you are not going to run other trains, then do a test right now; see how much your trains can take without suffering. There´s no better way to answer your questions than that!!! ;-)

If you run non-Märklin materiel, or maybe lokos without traction-tires, the incline should be even less...

The idea is to have a freight locomotive, either a MTH loco pulling intermodel cars or a BB pulling 15 cars.

Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline kbvrod  
#9 Posted : 24 March 2014 18:38:04(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Danilo,all,
Could you please post a track plan and what you what to do?
You could do a floor layout with risers/straight/curve track pieces and test your trains first to see how they perform.
Even though we,well most of us have a very finite space for our models look what the prototype does,they try to keep grades(%) to a minimum and you should too,...
Remember also that the lower level has to have enough room to get your hands in there!Smile

Dirt
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Hackcell  
#10 Posted : 24 March 2014 20:24:06(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi Danilo,all,
Could you please post a track plan and what you what to do?
You could do a floor layout with risers/straight/curve track pieces and test your trains first to see how they perform.
Even though we,well most of us have a very finite space for our models look what the prototype does,they try to keep grades(%) to a minimum and you should too,...
Remember also that the lower level has to have enough room to get your hands in there!Smile

Dirt

So far I have two ideas to move a train to the bottom level. Either a straight line covered by a tunnel or a line, going down, then a curve in the middle and the rest of the slope after this curve.

[/img]

Space is the main issue right now. The layout is 2,56 mts x 3,20 mts. (around 8,4 x 10,5 feet)
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline kbvrod  
#11 Posted : 24 March 2014 22:13:16(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Danilo,all,
Thanks,it is what I did on the old layout.
A couple of more thoughts but you should do some testing on your own.Please.Wink
You could start the incline well ahead of the curve,as the curve will increase resistance of the train.That is a gradual incline of the tracks,so it(again) gradually makes it way to the top level.This will not decrease the climb but may make it easier to do so,a head-start so to speak.Smile

Dr D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline BrandonVA  
#12 Posted : 25 March 2014 19:27:32(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
I agree, test all your locos. If you make a grade on a curve, the wider the curve the better the results (R1 will be harder for the train to climb vs. R2, etc). As I previously mentioned, I have 4% grades, which running on mostly R1 curves. All of my locos can climb it, but longer trains can bog (less of a problem with digital operations and locomotives with load regulation). For my usage these areas mostly handle smaller trains. The 2% grades on R2-5 curves (mixed radius) cause no real operational issue for anything in my observation (long trains, digital, analog, whatever). In my experience most Marklin locos can handle a steep grade. I am not sure about MTH.

As always, the less grade you can use, the easier everything will be.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA