Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2014 05:06:57(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I'm having problems with a turntable and the retrofit digital controller. I emailed Marklin service and I was asked to send both the turntable (7286) and the digital retrofit (7687) to their service department. At great expense (A$130.00), I did this on 20th Feb 2014. Fortunately, I paid for the tracking service and I noticed that there was an attempt to deliver the parcel on 27th Feb. The parcel wasn't picked up by Marklin service. I emailed Australia Post for their assistance and they rang to tell me that Marklin need to ring a number in Germany regarding the parcel. I forwarded the phone number to Marklin service on 10th March - no reply. I've sent 3 other emails and still no reply. Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing

What is going on there at Marklin service - is anyone else having difficulties with them? This is absolutely the worst experience I've had with Marklin - perhaps their new owners have done something to stop the servicing? I'm really annoyed as I have another parcel with my new CS2 on the way for repairs.

My theory is that while Marklin was under the receivers, cost cutting in production was introduced and this ultimately reduced quality and these products are now failing and the backlash is about to hit Marklin - pity the new owner.

If someone from Marklin should read this, could they please ask Service to contact me.

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Dimi194  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2014 05:30:19(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
I'm having problems with a turntable and the retrofit digital controller.......

Have you tried calling (expensive, but considering the value of the goods!)? Also, have you thought about (in future) sending the items to one of the Sydeny dealers (Train Traders or HobbyCo)? They might be able to fix your issues/redirect to Marklin with the dealer powers...

Edited by moderator 19 March 2014 09:49:30(UTC)  | Reason: No need to quote the entire post, it only clutters up the thread.

Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2014 07:08:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Greg, sorry to hear this but this is a service which is very expensive although its under guarantee, we've commented on this before or I did, I can't speak for Noel in Brisbane or any other authorized dealer who may can fix the problem but most the time as I understand it it will be send to Germany anyhow..
Australian dealers only except warranty issues if the item has been bought through them so any purchase outside or privately purchased items wouldn't be covered.
You have to think twice, the cost of turntable the cost of the postage which is becoming quite expensive. and secondly you haven't had any luck for the parcel to be delivered. sometimes the customs in Germany need a declaration how much the item is worth, country of origin and the purpose why it has been send back: for repairs.

for us living in Australia it is not the best place to return faulty goods to Germany and especially when you have to send back the whole item.
Have you asked forum members who might have helped you and may had the opportunity to solve your problem.
I know it is too late now but in future before braking in the door at the locol bank manager to obtain this sort of money to send the item back it may be cheaper to ask the important questions here.

You may also kick yourself if you find out tit was a liitle mistake on your part or some thing else trivial.

I know what it feels like, I've send my ESU radio control back only to be told there is nothing wrong with it and this cost me over 30 dollars( second time), very annoying.
The other scenario is if they don't pick up the parcel at a given time the parcel is sent back to the sender and I hope this is not in your case
I hope everything works out alright for you but may keep these suggestions in mind for the next time.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2014 10:57:35(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Fellas, thanks for your replies.

John, I agree with you that the local agents will only handle the products they sell to you. As for getting any service directly from them - that's another thing altogether. I have used one of them and I must say the results were not good, that's why I send all my repairs to Germany. Also, if it's a warranty job, the local agents won't handle it.

It's a shame that a company like Marklin with such a great reputation has sunk into this situation. As for calling them - the last time I did that the receiver suddenly lost all her knowledge of English.

It looks like I'll have to put the train hobby on hold for awhile until Marklin picks up its game. I'm absolutely disappointed with them - I thought they would at least acknowledge my emails - rather rude to say the least.

Greg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Online franciscohg  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2014 14:22:11(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, a year ago i had a similar problem with my CS2, IIRC, i wrote to DHL, they said to me that the parcel was in Stuttgart custom. I found an email on the web and they were very helpful. They said to me that there was no problem with the parcel, was just waiting to be picked up and gave me a phone number to call at Maerklin's. I did it and since then things became a little faster....
regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2014 19:40:55(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Just a bit puzzled. The carrier tried to deliver it on a Thursday. Was there not someone there on a work day to receive it? Did they try to deliver at some odd hour of the day when they are closed? Why doesn't the carrier make a second attempt? It's not like some private residence where you may not have some one available to receive the package. I'm sure Marklin's hours of operation are the same as any other manufacturer in Germany. I do not understand why Marklin needs to chase down the package with the carrier. The carrier contracted to deliver it, so freaking deliver it.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 19 March 2014 20:41:12(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
No News on 2014 delivery from Marklin for past week now.Confused

I think Marklin team is on a holiday or break, Possible Marklin team back to work next Monday after break.?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 19 March 2014 21:02:02(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I thought it was just the month of August you europeans decided not to work. February and/or March too? Flapper
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Bryan  
#9 Posted : 19 March 2014 22:19:16(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi Greg

I have just had a FX 37990 'Big Boy' converted digitally to a later MFX 37993 by Marklin, returned February 2014. The time it took was about four months, they are very slow in handling repairs. However, they were quite professional and correspondened at certain times of the repair with updates. I would expect once Marklin have the turntable it maybe 4 weeks (as in my case) before they even notify that it has been received. As long as something has not gone wrong with the deliverey to Marklin then I would not worry. The work is very good and professional. I will admit though, I would not let anyone else except Marklin touch the Big Boy loco. It is now running fine under MFX and was well worth the wait.

Cheers
Bryan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline Drongo  
#10 Posted : 19 March 2014 22:54:56(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
This morning I received an email from Marklin service - obviously THEY DO read this forum. They rang the phone number and the parcel is lost. Cursing Cursing Cursing If Marklin had replied to my emails earlier then this probably wouldn't have happened. Yes, some of them are on holidays - obviously, when the cats away . . . . . Marklin need to update their quality assurance program - I can help with that.

The parcel contained 1 turntable + 2 digital retrofit sets + 25 faulty turnout motors - all NOT insured and I'll need to replace them. As for Marklin's professionalism - I won't say it, webmaster will ban me.

BTW - it's my birthday today - what a birthday present Crying Crying Crying

Regards
Greg
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 19 March 2014 23:36:00(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
So the carrier tried once to deliver. Then sat on it and now one of the carrier's employees has stolen it. Your tracking last shows it with the carrier right? Sorry, still do not get how this is Marklin's fault. Should Marklin have responded in a timely manner to your e-mails? Absolutely. But if they never had possession of the package, it's hard to hold them responsible for it.
Matt
Era 3
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 19 March 2014 23:40:10(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
If a parcel is not collected within a certain time then it is usually returned to the sender.

Maybe it is on its way back to Greg as we speak.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Drongo  
#13 Posted : 20 March 2014 10:27:07(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
So the carrier tried once to deliver. Then sat on it and now one of the carrier's employees has stolen it. Your tracking last shows it with the carrier right? Sorry, still do not get how this is Marklin's fault. Should Marklin have responded in a timely manner to your e-mails? Absolutely. But if they never had possession of the package, it's hard to hold them responsible for it.

I agree with you, however, Marklin service didn't take action immediately, they acted 10 days after my first email. Probably the parcel is on its way back to me. Don't worry, I will get to the bottom of this - there is obviously a "hole" in their QA procedures and I will attempt to have this rectified - even if I have to go the Goeppingen myself.

Greg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 20 March 2014 15:38:55(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I don't know how the service works in the US but anything away from Europe seems to be problem. Unless you can fix it your self or you have heaps of money to waste on postage the service you're getting may be alright and if you're not in a hurry for it and like to wait for 4 month or so you are in good hands.

I personally wouldn't post anything which is worth more than A$ 50 without insurance.

Another drawback is if the parcel is returned you will see it is returned by sea and not by air unless you've specifically asked for it.

Greg, I can't see it would make any difference if you go to Göppingen yourself, if they can't fix it in the first place why would they suddenly change their procedures.

What was wrong with the digital retrofit sets and the 25 faulty turnout motors ? I had faulty ones in 1984, don't tell me they haven't woken up to the problem ? the fault with mine was when they did the soldering, the solder carried over to the suppose end power cut off but because of this the power never turned off and the solenoids fried.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline biedmatt  
#15 Posted : 20 March 2014 16:43:18(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Our postage to europe is nothing like you guys pay. I could send this first class for about $30. Tracking would be about another $50. I decline this service. If someone is going to steal it, tracking isn't going to stop them and insurance is a hastle. They require you pay a bond when you make a claim just in case it shows up. The bond is darn near the cost of the item, why bother? So getting the item to and from Marklin isn't a problem until you try to pay them. Since service will not take a credit card (I've asked) you need to do a bank transfer. Bank transfers from US banks have fees above $60. So I just fix them myself or scrap it out.
Matt
Era 3
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 21 March 2014 07:26:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Matt,

you can always purchase a traditional bank draft and mail it to Goeppingen. I normally add 8-10 Euros to cover fees that the bank may charge to cash the cheque in Germany.
Some banks offer cheaper rates for electronic transfers that you do yourself rather than the in branch transfer that has very high costs.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 21 March 2014 14:07:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Matt,

I'm pretty sure there was a thread a couple of years ago where there was a discussion about whether Marklin accepted credit cards for payment. I remember someone had spoken on the phone and after a bit of negotiation they had taken his credit card details over the phone and accepted the payment.

German companies seem to be reluctant to take cards, but when pressed, many do accept them. Did you speak to someone directly on the phone, or was the enquiry by email?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline biedmatt  
#18 Posted : 21 March 2014 17:38:40(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hello Ray,

I called them and luckily got someone that did speak english. She said bank transfers only. It was the tender coupler part that ties between the tender and loko (37021 Br53k) of a condensor tender. I could have replaced it myself, but it was only available as a repair and not a replacement part. The best part-it came back broken after all the expense. So I scrapped it out.

My only other service department contact was the brown Kroc from set 31859. Somehow the outer motor can seperated from the end of the motor that screws to the frame. This was repaired under warranty.
Matt
Era 3
Offline Cyborg  
#19 Posted : 24 March 2014 11:39:53(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
I've had exactly the same problem. Two weeks ago I sent my mobile station and some turnout motors back for repair/replacement from Australia. According to the tracking an unsuccessful delivery attempt was made last Wednesday. I tried to contact Marklin via email but got no reply. Now I don't know what is happening and I hope they don't get sent back, or worse lost or stolen. This is the first time I have had this problem with returning items for repair to Marklin, normally they are pretty reliable though slow.

I must say, though,they are very slow in responding to emails, most taking weeks to be replied to. Not real good customer service!
Offline Drongo  
#20 Posted : 26 March 2014 06:16:51(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
I've had exactly the same problem. Two weeks ago I sent my mobile station and some turnout motors back for repair/replacement from Australia. According to the tracking an unsuccessful delivery attempt was made last Wednesday. I tried to contact Marklin via email but got no reply. Now I don't know what is happening and I hope they don't get sent back, or worse lost or stolen. This is the first time I have had this problem with returning items for repair to Marklin, normally they are pretty reliable though slow.

I must say, though,they are very slow in responding to emails, most taking weeks to be replied to. Not real good customer service!

There are possibly 2 reasons why parcels are delayed at the moment. 1. There seems to be a problem with customs clearance and 2. the service manager has been away on holidays. We all know the saying - "When the cat's away, the mice will play".

Regarding my parcel - I just had confirmation that Marklin service have picked up the parcel from the post office. BTW, the service manager is back from holidays. Along with the notice that the service department has the parcel, there is a message saying, "Due to an increase number of repair job . . . . . . . ". If you don't work, then nothing gets done !!!!!

All I have to do now, is WAIT Confused Confused Confused

Greg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo