Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TouchCab  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2014 22:47:31(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Hi guys.

I have been ... enchanted ... by the announced GM EMD F7 sets by MTH. I know MTH is using their own DCS control system, but the new version 3 should have some DCC capability, which makes it interesting. Sufficiently interesting for me, anyway.

What I don't know is the build quality of the engines. Older MTH stuff have visible pickups on the rails, and the old F3's are a bit too toy-like for my taste. The F7's look much better, but on some pics there are track current pickups and on some pics there are not.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand in One Gauge?
Best regards,
Jens
---
This account is no longer active
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline blid  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2014 11:19:38(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Hi,
I have MTH OneGauge and I really like them. They are (were) affordable and I dare handle them. With Marklin I am always worried that I will break something and they are expensive.
The engines do have pickup shoes gliding on the rail between the wheels and the wheels are not 1:32 scale. MTH used the same explanation Marklin used for H0. The MTH OneGauge are designed for outdoor use and scale wheels were assumed to cause derailments. I am not sure but I think code 250 is the limit for the rails. I use LGB tracks (that was what was available to me at the time) and I have the MTH DCS system as well as Marklin. I am hoping MTH will release upgrades to the new decoder version (ProtoSound 3) with DCC. I have some MTH 3-rail H0 with ProtoSound 3E+ and the Marklin CS2 has no problem with them.
According to users of another forum, http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/, the quality of MTH is very good. I agree.
As I recall there was a store in Copenhagen with some MTH OneGauge engines like Big Boy (on my avatar to the left).
Björn
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline blid  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2014 11:21:13(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Sorry, I don't have that avatar in this forum.
Björn

Now I have
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline TouchCab  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2014 11:30:11(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post

They are (were) affordable ...

Very affordable. That's a major cause for my temptation BigGrin

The engines do have pickup shoes gliding on the rail between the wheels and the wheels are not 1:32 scale. MTH used the same explanation Marklin used for H0. The MTH OneGauge are designed for outdoor use and scale wheels were assumed to cause derailments. I am not sure but I think code 250 is the limit for the rails ...

That concerns me some. I don't want pickup shoes causing havoc on the club layout. Also, off-scale wheels would be a deal breaker for me.

I have some MTH 3-rail H0 with ProtoSound 3E+ and the Marklin CS2 has no problem with them.

It seems their DCC implementation is OK, then.

Thanks, Björn.
Good and bad news here. I think I need to consider the fact that the MTH engines are built for outdoor running on LGB track (=narrow curves). If that goes at the expense of the model realism, I don't really want it. On the other hand, I do have plans to add LokSound decoders and KM-1 smoke generators to the B-units (and maybe the A-units too), so I don't mind a bit of tampering. Judging from the marketing material on the MTH site, the engines are really gorgeous, but the wheel size doesn't show properly, and some of the 3rd generation diesels have pickup sliders, some don't.

Ok, I'll re-read the brochure carefully and ask MTH directly.

Thanks again
Jens
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline blid  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2014 17:11:03(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
FYi
According to a post in the G-Scale forum today only old (?) MTH engines and cars have problems with Marklin tracks: http://www.gscaletrainfo...marklin-track/#entry1519
Bjorn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
Offline TouchCab  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2014 08:53:16(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
After discussing the matter with the friendly folks at the G scale forum, who are very familiar with MTH, I should expect that the engines have current pickup sliders and that the wheel flanges may or may not be too large for the track code used in my club.

The plan is then to power the B-units with NWSL power trucks and LokSound v4 decoders. If this drive system does not match the A units (and it probably doesn't) or if the A-units have pickup sliders or too large wheel flanges, then ...

Oh, who am I kidding?
I will most likely repower the whole set right away BigGrin

Now to find the cash while waiting for the models to ship ...
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline TouchCab  
#7 Posted : 04 May 2014 00:17:54(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Well, I have now pre-ordered an MTH F7 ABBA set.
Can't wait to get it ...

Cool
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Superlampster  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2014 00:21:07(UTC)
Superlampster

Sweden   
Well, and I have just ordered a GG1
Will be brought home to Sweden in a couple of weeks by my sister who´s on vacation in the US. I will let you know if it survives the trip in a suitcase...

Regards, Henrik
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Superlampster
Offline El Capitan  
#9 Posted : 01 October 2016 14:32:05(UTC)
El Capitan

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: TouchCab Go to Quoted Post
Can't wait to get it ...

Gee, MTH took their sweet time, didn't they?
I've changed my forum name and I've expanded my order with an additional B unit, but now it's here ... and it's awesome Cool Wub

UserPostedImage

Test run tomorrow.

Jens
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by El Capitan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 01 October 2016 17:45:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: El Capitan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TouchCab Go to Quoted Post
Can't wait to get it ...

Gee, MTH took their sweet time, didn't they?
I've changed my forum name and I've expanded my order with an additional B unit, but now it's here ... and it's awesome Cool Wub

UserPostedImage

Test run tomorrow.

Jens

That is some monster engine. How long is it end to end?

Offline El Capitan  
#11 Posted : 01 October 2016 18:57:52(UTC)
El Capitan

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

That is some monster engine. How long is it end to end?

I haven't measured it, but approx. 2,5 meters Blink BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by El Capitan
Offline Hackcell  
#12 Posted : 02 October 2016 22:11:46(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
I have been thinking about getting a 1/32 scale train to run it outdoors, and MTH seems a good idea price-wise. However, I really do not know what's a good track to be used with MTH, Marklin and USA trains engines.

I hate toy-ish, narrow turns. Space is not a problem as I want to install the 1/32 layout outdoors.

Any suggestions?

That's a good example of a machine I'd love to get: a die cast BB.

USA Trains Locomotives
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline El Capitan  
#13 Posted : 02 October 2016 22:18:51(UTC)
El Capitan

Denmark   
Not sure which track I'd suggest for outdoor use.
On this video the outdoor track is ProForm, but that may not be readily available where you are.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by El Capitan
Offline SteamBob  
#14 Posted : 14 June 2017 00:45:33(UTC)
SteamBob

United States   
I have MTH trains in Gauge 1 and HO scale. True, the Large scale Locomotives have track wipers for better electrical pickup. In Large scale I have the Southern Pacific GS4 Steam engine with sound. I do not use Marklin Track, so I have no problems.BigGrin It operates beautifully and the sound is first class. I also have several of their 1/32 scale freight and passenger cars which are also very nice. I do not have any diesels in Large Scale from MTH so I have no opinion. Mth also makes great HO scale Marklin compatible Locomotives which I own several which are also great. The only drawback I found with MTH is it may take longer to get parts if you need them sometimes.
Offline SteamBob  
#15 Posted : 14 June 2017 00:54:28(UTC)
SteamBob

United States   
Originally Posted by: El Capitan Go to Quoted Post
Not sure which track I'd suggest for outdoor use.
On this video the outdoor track is ProForm, but that may not be readily available where you are.

I am a member of BAGRS Garden Railway club. One of the largest clubs in the country. Many members using track power now use Stainless Steel Track sold by several companies in various radii and lengths. They find they rarely need to clean the track. Yes, it's more expensive, but worth the savings in time in cleaning and maintenance. Just passing on what numerous members have told me
Offline SteamBob  
#16 Posted : 14 June 2017 01:22:21(UTC)
SteamBob

United States   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
I have been thinking about getting a 1/32 scale train to run it outdoors, and MTH seems a good idea price-wise. However, I really do not know what's a good track to be used with MTH, Marklin and USA trains engines.

I hate toy-ish, narrow turns. Space is not a problem as I want to install the 1/32 layout outdoors.

Any suggestions?

That's a good example of a machine I'd love to get: a die cast BB.

USA Trains Locomotives

See my reply to following post. Also, not to take away from this forum, but look at mylargescale.com . It's an open forum for all Large Scale including Live Steam in G Scale. You'll find a lot about track and more.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamBob