Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ciderglider  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2014 14:46:33(UTC)
ciderglider

United Kingdom   
I've bought a few 8590 connector tracks off ebay, and one has come with wires soldered to it, but the others are unwired. Are they supplied unwired from the factory?

The 8590 tracks seem to have spring connectors to accept wires. Do these make a reliable connection? Or should I attempt to solder the wires on? Soldering wires to the 8590 looks a bit tricky, and I have visions of the plastic part of the track melting as I heat up the metal.

So, advice gratefully received.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ciderglider
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2014 16:33:09(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: ciderglider Go to Quoted Post
I've bought a few 8590 connector tracks off ebay, and one has come with wires soldered to it, but the others are unwired. Are they supplied unwired from the factory?

The 8590 tracks seem to have spring connectors to accept wires. Do these make a reliable connection? Or should I attempt to solder the wires on? Soldering wires to the 8590 looks a bit tricky, and I have visions of the plastic part of the track melting as I heat up the metal.So, advice gratefully received.

Hello ciderglider!
I *think* that the former owner did the soldering.The 8590 has two 'clips', you strip the wire,twist it tight,push down the top of the clip and insert it into the hole.Gently tug on the wire to see if holds securely.As long as the track and the transformer are secure you should be good to go!Smile

Dr Dirt

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline ciderglider  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2014 20:57:35(UTC)
ciderglider

United Kingdom   
Thanks for your response. I'm glad to learn that the connector tracks are designed for the wires to clip on rather than be soldered on.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ciderglider
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2014 21:28:10(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: ciderglider Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your response. I'm glad to learn that the connector tracks are designed for the wires to clip on rather than be soldered on.

Your most welcome!BigGrin
Never used these because I didn't like clips but that is just me,.Ad soldering is a skill,that must be practiced and doing that can be done to even Z-scale rails.ThumpUp

Dr Dirt.
Offline Rocca  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2014 23:01:31(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hi, Ciderglider,

Yesssss....don't worry! You can sure clip the wires and the difference between the two different types you've got depends only by the times Märklin has produced them. But they always work fine!!
Enjoy your layout...!!!

Stefano Rocca
Offline Nightowl4933  
#6 Posted : 23 August 2014 18:14:17(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
This would depend on how old the track is. Newer ones come with the cables soldered on and fitted with a suppression capacitor, but still include the spring clips, the older ones only have the clips.

Hope this helps,

Pete
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nightowl4933