Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2014 08:34:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I finally got my hands on two of the Tillig S-Bahn Zurich coaches. I want to see whether they can be used on Maerklin tracks or whether I should limit myself to the Maerklin (49999) Set announced by Maerklin Switzerland or the Fleischmann/Hag/Roco offerings coming later this year. The Tillig model is a new production of the Sachsenmodelle coach that was available for a while.

For the photos, I chose the older look models with the yellow doors, mainly because this is the same look for all three models that I have:

Maerklin 28505 (1/100)
Fleischmann 5134 (1/93.5)
Tillig 73805 (1/87)

On first examination, the Maerklin coach is simply a DB coach repainted in SBB colours. The SBB coach has additional vents on the roof/body, which Maerklin rendered simply by printing it (the lower one). Both Fleischmann and Tillig have incorporated this feature into the mould and it appears more realistic.

Both the Maerklin and the Tillig models have the low level entry step designed as part of the bogie. The Fleischmann model has this feature attached to the coach body. It is still well enough designed that it does not interfere with rotation of the bogie.

The Tillig coach has a whited out WC window on one side, a feature that is missing on the others. It should be possible to paint the respective window on the other coaches, but I do not know if the interior has the WC details. It would not look good if there were no walls and the WC window could be seen from the other side.

The Maerklin and Tillig models have taillights (not illuminated) in the coach design. The Fleischmann model is lacking this feature.

The Maerklin coaches come with printed destination signs, the Fleischmann coaches come with decals that can be applied and the Tillig models do not seem to come with any destination decals.

All three models have roughly prototypical renderings of the different details on each coach side.

One of the reasons why I bought this Tillig model is the added Advertising Slogan on the coach side, which I have not seen from Fleischmann or Maerklin.

Over the next few days, I will hopefully be able to test the coaches in operation to assess whether the Tillig coach can be safely used with Maerklin tracks and if so, with what minimum radius? I remember that Sachsenmodelle had a warning that their model was not for use with Maerklin. Roco had a similar warning on their original DB Doubledeck coaches, which came out as co-productions with Sachsenmodelle, which referred to issues with turnout lanterns and with "flankenfahrt" (lateral collisions) when operating on parallel tracks using the narrow radii commonly used by Maerklin modellers.

Here is the warning that comes with the Tillig coaches (my translation):

The model of the Doubledeck coach is realized in exact scale. To ensure smooth operation, respect NEM standards 103 - the limit of space of the track profile in curves and 112 - the track spacing for coaches of Group C with length over buffers up to 27,2m (in reduced scale).

"Das Modell des Doppelstockwagens ist maßstabsgerecht ausgeführt. Um einen reibungslosen Betrieb zu gewährleisten, sind die NEM Normen 103, Umgrenzung des lichten Raumes bei Gleisführung im Bogen, 112 Gleisabstände für Wagengruppe C Wagen mit Kastenlänge bis 27,2m Vorbildmaß einzuhalten"

http://www.morop.eu/en/normes/nem103_e.pdf
http://www.morop.eu/de/normes/nem112_d.pdf
(I could not find 112 in English, only German and French)
http://www.morop.eu/de/normes/index.html

If anybody is interesting in getting involved, they are looking for English speaking volunteers to assist them.

I will probably end up getting the Maerklin Set and equipping it with lights for night operation and using either the FLM or Tillig coaches for daytime operation.

That all being said, here are the initial photos (Mar/Flm/Tillig)

Regards

Mike C
mike c attached the following image(s):
Maerklin 28505.jpg
FLM 5134.jpg
Tillig 73805.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2014 08:57:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
More photos

MAR28505-FLM5134
FLM5134-TIL73805
MAR28505-TIL73805
mike c attached the following image(s):
28505-5134.jpg
5134-73805.jpg
28505-73805.jpg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mike c