Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2014 07:04:52(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
In Australia, our chemical industry has quite a different basis to those in Europe and North America. (We have no naturally occuring rock salt (NaCl)). To my knowledge we have no equivalent here of some of the European cars produced by the modelling concerns. So they fascinate me.

Today, I am researching the acid cars, which I believe Marklin have made back into antiquity.

I have two late models, one by Sachsenmodelle (catalogue #16220F) and the other is the Marklin Insider model #48162.

The Sachsenmodelle represents an SNCF car marked for the Saint Gobain works in St Fons, Rhone. I will refer to it as the SG car.

The Marklin car is for Degussa, marked as based in Rheinfelden, Baden. I will refer to it as the M car.

Now for some history on these interesting prototypes. Saint Gobain was established as a glass and morror maker in Paris in 1665, but evolved last century into a comprehensive industry, producing all manner of finishing materials. Degussa in Germany had different beginnings, based on precious metals refining. Since 1873, it too has become a global enterprise with interests in cleaning agents and plastics.

Many industries rely on acids, and the ceramic jars used in transport are a special clay that is impervious to attack by these agents. The jars in the models are around 0.9 metres in diameter, and 1.8 metres tall. Each contains up to 900 litres. These jars would have to lifted by crane for loading and unloading. The acid jar shown below is a typical 200 gallon type, standing about five feet high. This example is preserved at 'Catalyst' the museum of Chemical Industry (Mersey Road, Widnes, Cheshire, WA8 0DF, UK).
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/7-fops/200galacid.jpg

UserPostedImage

The SG model is a class SZwf, with running number SNCF 503482. Kinematic NEM coupler boxes are fitted, and it weighs 57 grams. It is 100mm over the buffers, the body is 32.5mm wide, and contains 10 jars. It has a brakemans platform, with ladder to a central walkway. The ladder is to one side of the platform, and is done in plastic, so could be damaged. It is however quite flexible and has withstood my bending it a few times by mistake. The molding of detail is finely done, with riveted gussets being a standout feature on the timber framework sides. Corner strapping is also riveted. The central wooden walkway is longitudinal across the top, and could be painted a suitable colour to make it different to the jar colour. The car has horizontal planked wooden ends, with 2 vertical steel L section reinforcements, quite fine. Printing is perfect, with detail on the solebar. This car has no RIV status mark, so would not be able to run internationally. The original DC wheels were quite perfect, but I fitted Fleischmann 6560 AC type disc wheels to suit my Marklin layout.

http://www.qldrail.net/altkloster/degussaacidcar.jpg

The M model has running number DB 546328[P] (P denotes private owner). Kinematic NEM coupler boxes are fitted, and it weighs 42 grams. It is 112mm over the buffers, body is31mm wide, and contains 12 jars. It has a brakemans platform, with ladder to a central walkway. The ladder is done in metal, and is central on the platform. The molding of detail is finely done, particularly the top frame cradling components around the jars. Rivets are modelled on the body corner strapping, but not on the side frame gussets. Maybe the frames are of welded steel. The central wooden walkway is longitudinal across the top, and is painted a suitable colour. The car has horizontal planked wooden ends, with 2 vertical steel U section reinforcements of a heavier section than on the SG car. Printing is perfect, with detail on the solebar, and a number printed on the side frame for each jar bay. This car has the RIV status mark, so can run internationally. The loading mark is for "Hydrogen Peroxide". The model comes with standard Marklin AC disc wheels.

On both models, the left buffer when facing the end of the wagon, has a rounded convex face. The right buffer face is flat as in the prototype. This is a superb detail that is hardly noticeable by modellers, and is now taken for granted. Both running numbers are in the 500000 series, and I believe this denotes cars not owned by the railway systems.

I like these unique cars, because I will never need more than two on my layout, and that's easy on my wallet. I am happy to review the two models, because though ostensibly the same, they do have subtle but intriguing differences.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 24 February 2014 22:42:10(UTC)  | Reason: To clarify the existence of an Australian chemical industry

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Glen  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2014 09:07:57(UTC)
Glen

New Zealand   
Many thanks for an interesting review Kimball. ThumpUp

I too like these cars. I have the Insider car you mention, the 3 car set (46390 from 2008), and a car that is part of the 2011 Insider freight car set - 46350).

The latter are all marked as belonging to VTG - I presume that is another car leasing company.

Regards

Glen

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Glen
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2014 09:51:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Many thanks for the info, Kimball! ThumpUp

I have the 4657 from the 60s/70s. I love to have interesting wagons like these in my freight trains.

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2014 12:58:37(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
Living in Australia, where there is no chemical industry...

Hmm.. I would like to challenge that statement. Certainly, it has diminished in scale and diversity over the past 30 years, but it is still there. Companies like Incitec are still manufacturing fertiliser chemicals.

Have a look at http://www.chemlink.com.au/industry.htm from 1997 and this 2013 CSIRO report http://www.csiro.au/~/me...s%20in%20Everything.ashx .

Certainly, it is not of the scale of Western Europe, but it does exist. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2014 22:13:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for that observation, the link you quoted led me to the history of the chemical industry here.

And I stand corrected, and have edited the first post to suit.

However, my assertion still stands somewhat in that our industry (from a reading of those sites), is based on products other than salt.
And they are mainly animal and vegetable by-products, which we can have in abundance.
It does appear that much of the process for these required imported acids and other agents.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.