Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Laxman  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2014 03:03:46(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Has anyone out there used the Viessmann 5222 Control Module for Colour Light Entry Signal with either the k83 or the m83? I am using a CS2.

The directions (which I have attached below) indicate that the 5222 is connected to a separate power 16v AC power supply and sharing a common ground with that separate power supply and the digital track ground. Can someone verify this. I would hate to short something out.Crying

I am still confused about the whole common ground thing and how it works now. For years we were supposed to keep the digital track current and other power sources completely separate. Why can we share a common ground now? Can it be any common ground (ie an old M blue transformer) that is shared? And what makes these different (or the same?) as the new switched power packs?

Thanks

Laxman

Edited by user 12 February 2014 18:25:54(UTC)  | Reason: pdf file not seen

File Attachment(s):
Viessmann 5222 digital control.pdf (307kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
Laxman attached the following image(s):
Viessmann 5222 digital control.jpg
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2014 06:38:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You'll never short anything out by using a common ground, as long as you don't connect the yellow / red from other devices to that ground connection.

There are some caveats around using 60213 / 60214 CS2's and 60173 boosters, but apart from that there is no issue using a common ground. And you should never connect the ground of any power supply powering a CS1 \ CS2 \ Ecos - always use the brown track connection coming out of these devices.

It is OK to use the brown connection from a transformer powering a 6021 to a common ground. You can use any Marklin transformer to connect the ground, just follow the general safety recommendations around using old blue transformers. Search the forum, you will find plenty of threads on this topic.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Laxman  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2014 18:17:51(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Thanks Bigdaddy.

A few questions as I am still not sure I understand 100%

Quote:
You'll never short anything out by using a common ground, as long as you don't connect the yellow / red from other devices to that ground connection.

Does that mean a direct connection b/t the yellow/red like in a short; or thru something like a light bulb? Could you for example use a separate power supply's yellow and brown in the above example for the 5222 module AND also use that same separate power supply's yellow and brown to power say a light bulb or other accessory?

Quote:
There are some caveats around using 60213 / 60214 CS2's and 60173 boosters, but apart from that there is no issue using a common ground. And you should never connect the ground of any power supply powering a CS1 \ CS2 \ Ecos - always use the brown track connection coming out of these devices.

Does this mean that the power supply powering the CS1/CS2/Ecos goes directly and only to the CS1/CS2/Ecos and no where else? And, therefore, any connections (ie the common ground) are to the 'digital track ground' coming from the CS1/CS2/Ecos?

Sorry for the repetitive nature of the questions, but I want to be sure I really understand. It is one thing to get an overload/short circuit, but it is another to fry my CS2.OhMyGod OhMyGod

Laxman
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2014 03:49:14(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Laxman Go to Quoted Post
Does that mean a direct connection b/t the yellow/red like in a short; or thru something like a light bulb? Could you for example use a separate power supply's yellow and brown in the above example for the 5222 module AND also use that same separate power supply's yellow and brown to power say a light bulb or other accessory?

Yes..............but it's better to have one transformer feeding your digital decoders - 5213's, 5222's, etc, and another transformer feeding your lights. NEVER EVER connect the yellow of any transformer with the yellow of another (whether directly or through a light bulb) - this will cause 240v (or 120v) to appear on the pins of the mains plug of the 2nd transformer, which will present an electrocution risk. Another reason to use the newer white transformers from Marklin rather than the old blue ones as the new transformers have built in protection against a miss-wiring accident.

Originally Posted by: Laxman Go to Quoted Post
Does this mean that the power supply powering the CS1/CS2/Ecos goes directly and only to the CS1/CS2/Ecos and no where else? And, therefore, any connections (ie the common ground) are to the 'digital track ground' coming from the CS1/CS2/Ecos?

Yes, Absolutely!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Laxman  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2014 05:39:11(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Thank you for clarifying all this. I too will likely keep the yellow for digital decoder and lights separate.

Quote:
NEVER EVER connect the yellow of any transformer with the yellow of another (whether directly or through a light bulb) - this will cause 240v (or 120v) to appear on the pins of the mains plug of the 2nd transformer, which will present an electrocution risk

Thank you for reminding me of this. I do remember this from my teenage years wiring old M layouts to always divide up the yellows between several transformers and not combine two transformers together with either red or yellow

Laxman
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Laxman