Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline christos563  
#51 Posted : 08 April 2014 19:14:47(UTC)
christos563

Greece   
Hi from thessaloniki, hellas.

I remember the numbers and their font, "dutch univers or swiss univers, swiss741",
very nice for more than twenty years. 1981-2000. very likely and very good.

When they created the C tracks, they used an albertus font initially for the tracks (24130, 24230) and later on other boxes.

many greetings, christos563
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#52 Posted : 11 April 2014 23:57:17(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post

I hope, that this will not be the full truth. The discussion line of Mr. Mayer is really disgracefully. He claims about the facts. But it is Märklin who doesn't provide the facts. So, without facts, it is hardly to discuss with them.

But I still hope, this wasn't the last word from Märklin!

Greetings,
Moritz

Good news!

I received an email from Wolfrad Bächle and Florian Sieber and they confirmed, that this answer from the support staff was not up to date.

Märklin will prove 5-pole motors for future new developments and in case, the results are better then with a 3-pole, there will 5-pole motors in those models. The decision will be taken for each individual model, therefore, Märklin is not able to tell today, which models will have a 5-pole and which not.

I'm pretty sure, that there will 5-pole motors in the future, too. And not only in those with the old 5-Pole DCM but also new ones.

On Hannover fair, where I spen 5 days as exhibitor, I talked to a mechanical engineer of a big and well known company of motor drives. I asked him about his oppinion about 3-pole and 5-pole motor drives. He told me, that his company has only motors with 5 poles and more. They released some years ago a cheaper motor with 3 poles, but it was unsatisfying and they stopped it. He said, that 3-pole motors have a higher torque ripple and therefore, they are harder to control and the mechanical characteristics are not as good as those from 5-pole motors. On the other side, he mentioned Bühler mortors, which have good characteristics with 3-pole. But he said, there is much efford necessary to get the same characteristiks as a 5-pole motor has.

3rd interesting point was, that he showed me a absolutely new development of an brushless motor with axial mounted permanent magnet and also axial mounted coils. This new motor is much stronger then comparable brushless motors and much smaller then comparable BLDC motors. It is 22x22mm but the controller is bigger because the elektronic is working with PWM modulated current with 200kHz (I'm not so sure, maybe it was 400kHz, much higher than digital decoder).

Greetings,
Moritz
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline Janne75  
#53 Posted : 12 April 2014 01:08:58(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Moritz,

Thank you very much for the interesting info. So there are new technical discoveries for motors and that is good. Also very small size strong motors so it looks good for the future.

Motors with five pole or more are easier to control than three pole motors. This is easy to understand if we think of a full circle of 360 degree (one turn) of a rotating motor armature. With three pole there are 120 degrees between the poles and with five poles only 72 degrees. With twelve pole (C-Sinus) there are only 30 degrees between the poles.

Basically one can think this motor pole thing like a car engine having different numbers of cylinders and firing orders between the cylinders. 3 pole is like 3 cylinder engine, 5 pole is like 5 cylinder etc. More the poles/cylinders , the smoother running basically. As 3-pole runs "rougher" it must have better motor control "maps" = more precise cv settings and also a good flywheel to get it running more smoothly. Different types of coil windings makes a difference of course and also other motor design details, but this is how the amount of poles effect the running by the basic design.

Märklin had their C-Sinus, SDS, Faulhaber and Maxxon motors with more poles. I hope the future will be with at least five pole then. I am glad that they answered you by e-mail with these answers.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline H0  
#54 Posted : 22 September 2014 21:42:06(UTC)
H0

I just search the Märklin product database for loco 37040 and noticed it has a new symbol: a motor with 9 stars.
Great!
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline waorb  
#55 Posted : 22 September 2014 22:17:44(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
This is really a new item! Cool

Thanks for pointing that!

Cheers,

Walter
Offline H0  
#56 Posted : 22 September 2014 22:25:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
a motor with 9 stars.
The new symbol is also used for both three-pole and five-pole motors. New symbol, but no new transparency.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#57 Posted : 23 September 2014 07:12:30(UTC)
Goofy

Hello Tom!
This model are equppied with "klockanker motor" type Faulhaber.
That´s way it shows 9 stars symbol.
With 3 pole or 5 pole it will present 3 and 5 stars symbols.
I guess it´s now in the new catalog 2014/2015.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#58 Posted : 23 September 2014 07:42:04(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
This model are equppied with "klockanker motor" type Faulhaber.
That´s way it shows 9 stars symbol.
With 3 pole or 5 pole it will present 3 and 5 stars symbols.
As I wrote: the new nine-star symbol is used for all locos, even those with three-pole and five-pole engines.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#59 Posted : 23 September 2014 08:32:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
This symbol is less likely to be misinterpreted. Nobody is going to think the motor has 9 poles!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#60 Posted : 23 September 2014 09:34:09(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Nobody is going to think the motor has 9 poles!
SDS had 9 poles (or 12).
Piko are using 7-pole motors for some of their "Made in Germany" locos.
9 poles are not impossible.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#61 Posted : 23 September 2014 09:58:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
SDS had 9 poles (or 12).

I stand corrected (again).

My point is that one won't be tempted to find a correlation between 3 pole and 5 pole motors and the symbol if the symbol has neither 5 nor 3 stars on it.

...but I think you knew what I meant anyway...
Ray
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#62 Posted : 23 September 2014 15:10:40(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Oh, I was thinking about a new 9-pole DC motor coming soon from Märklin.

So, Märklin react to the critics, that the user expects a 5*-motor when using a 5*-Symbol. But instead of using 5*-Motors they decided to create a new symbol.

I assume, the development of this new symbol was a bit less expensive than to develop a new superb 5-pole motor.

It is a bit like You claim to the baker, that the cream of the cake is not sweet enough and the baker will bring You a new cake - without cream!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline kiwiAlan  
#63 Posted : 24 September 2014 10:00:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
SDS had 9 poles (or 12).

IIRC the original C-Sinus motor has 11 poles.

Offline RayF  
#64 Posted : 24 September 2014 10:11:39(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
SDS had 9 poles (or 12).

My point is that one won't be tempted to find a correlation between 3 pole and 5 pole motors and the symbol if the symbol has neither 5 nor 3 stars on it.

The number 9 is totally irrelevant in this case, and we are definitely not talking about SDS motors, which have a completely different symbol.
Ray
Offline H0  
#65 Posted : 24 September 2014 11:34:33(UTC)
H0

Some people will expect improvements because the old icon had 5 stars while the new icon has 9 stars.
They should have used an icon without any stars IMHO.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#66 Posted : 24 September 2014 11:53:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I would only expect an improvement if the change in symbol was accomanied with an announcement like:

NEW!

THIS MODEL IS EQUIPPED WITH A NEW 9 POLE MOTOR!!!

BigGrin

I would not expect a major new motor innovation to not be splashed across the New Items brochures. Why wouldn't they?
Ray
Offline Goofy  
#67 Posted : 24 September 2014 13:44:54(UTC)
Goofy

I would only expect an improvement if the change in symbol was accomanied with an announcement like:

NEW!

BigGrin

I would not expect a major new motor innovation to not be splashed across the New Items brochures. Why wouldn't they?

And you see 9 pole star symbol.
H0
Offline RayF  
#68 Posted : 24 September 2014 13:49:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

NEW!

BigGrin

And you see 9 pole star symbol.

I don't see any information about the number of poles. If you want to see it that way that's up to you.
Ray
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#69 Posted : 24 September 2014 15:28:32(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

The SDS had 9 field coils and a permanent magnet with 12 poles.

Therefore, You may discuss which is the leading number for calling it an 12-pole motor or a 9-pole motorBigGrin

https://www.maerklin.de/...eine/softdrivesinus.html

English:
https://medienpdb.maerkl...aerklin_Softdrive_EN.pdf
Offline Goofy  
#70 Posted : 24 September 2014 18:40:19(UTC)
Goofy

An circle with totally amount of stars simulate as motor.
This symbol do shows up total of motors pole.
3 pole
5 pole
9 pole

No matter what Märklin present other terms to counting total as stars.
When Märklin did start with cheap 3 pole motor,customer didn´t know what there was in the new locomotivs with cheap motor and present it as high power motor!
If Märklin did show up symbol with 3 stars,they do present motor as 3 pole.
It´s difference between 3 and 5 pole motor as high power motor.
SDS motor are much more higher power motor.
To identification total pole of the motor,they must show up symbol with motor by total of stars.
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#71 Posted : 24 September 2014 20:03:41(UTC)
H0

H0 attached the following image(s):
!!!3pole.png
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#72 Posted : 24 September 2014 20:08:50(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
I will write a proposal to Märklin, to create this 3-Pole symbol and additionally to use the 5-pole, 7-pole, 9-pole, depending to the real numer of poles!
Offline biedmatt  
#73 Posted : 24 September 2014 20:28:31(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Maybe they now have three 3-pole motors. LOL

Really boys, does all the discussion or suggestions matter? Marklin is going to put into it what they want to put into it. They are going to describe it however they want to describe it. Your suggestions and recommendations fall upon deaf ears. They do not care what you want and would be just as happy if you went away and pound salt. Your only real option is to not buy the product.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline H0  
#74 Posted : 24 September 2014 21:00:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Your suggestions and recommendations fall upon deaf ears.
Yes, I know. They stubbornly use the "1:93.5" symbol also for coaches that are "1:97.5". They continue to use the "1:100" symbol for a set that is "1:87" - years after I informed them about their error.

Your only real option is to not buy the product.
They don't need my money and I don't need their locos.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#75 Posted : 24 September 2014 22:15:32(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Sorry, but I think you are wrong. Märklin read the open letter from the Stummiforum very carefully. This open letter was signed by over 240 Stummiforum members and was agreed by over 80% Yes votes!

Months after this open letter, Marlin decided to use a 5-pole motor in the E93 and e.g. the new designed Nohab models and the new NS1200 series.

Therefore, I will not give up voting for high quality motors and decoders.

Because I like the Marlin style and finish, but I want premium motor, when I pay premium prices.

Moritz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline H0  
#76 Posted : 24 September 2014 22:29:28(UTC)
H0

Months after this open letter, Marlin decided to use a 5-pole motor in the E93 and e.g. the new designed Nohab models and the new NS1200 series.
Yep. And the five-pole motor of the E 93 looks cheap compared to the five-pole motors they used five years earlier.

Not all five-pole motors are good motors, not all three-pole motors are bad motors.

I want comprehensive product descriptions. The nine-star motor logo is a step in the wrong direction IMHO.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline biedmatt  
#77 Posted : 25 September 2014 13:31:19(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Sorry, but I think you are wrong. Märklin read the open letter from the Stummiforum very carefully. This open letter was signed by over 240 Stummiforum members and was agreed by over 80% Yes votes!

Therefore, I will not give up voting for high quality motors and decoders.

Because I like the Marlin style and finish, but I want premium motor, when I pay premium prices.

Moritz

The one time efforts of a couple hundred Stummi forum members effected a change in two products. I sincerely applaud and congratulate their achievements. How sustainable are these efforts? Marklin releases product weekly. Do the Stummi forum participants plan to write this letter weekly? Or even monthly? The only way things will change is if Marklin find new management. Note, I did not say a new owner. This I do not see happening and that same "Go to hell" attitude will persist.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline jeehring  
#78 Posted : 25 September 2014 15:51:01(UTC)
jeehring

...(...)... The only way things will change is if Marklin find new management. ...(...).

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
I agree 100% !
But I think Marklin also needs a new owner...

Offline H0  
#79 Posted : 25 September 2014 20:15:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
But I think Marklin also needs a new owner...
The new owners said they have long-term plans with Märklin.
Looks as if we have to live with the owners Sieber and Sieber and the manager Sieber for quite some time.
Manager Bächle is working for Märklin since 1990.

I don't know whether Märklin has a good management right now. The owners decide about the CEOs.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline biedmatt  
#80 Posted : 25 September 2014 20:24:09(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Herr Sieber needs to tear a page out of Neutron Jack Welch's play book. Sack everyone in the management department leaving an empty building like a Neutron bomb. Then repopulate management with entirely new people. The attitudes at Marklin have persisted for decades. It was one of the reasons I left the hobby in the late 80s. This management team is obviously not the same as then, but the attitudes persist. Clearly new management learn bad habits from old management. Like a fish rotting from the head. A complete clean house move will be the only way to make a real change.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline jeehring  
#81 Posted : 26 September 2014 01:50:43(UTC)
jeehring

[
The new owners said they have long-term plans with Märklin.
...(...)....

yes, to fill all toy department stores, supermarkets & every toy big stores on the planet with the most profitable "Marklin My World" products & hobby range products, (anyway,before buying Marklin they were already the kings of Chinese plastic ...)....
Don't expect big efforts on the "train model" development during next 5 years (at least )***...excepted computing, digital & electronics ( developping electronics & digital doesn't need a lot of money for what they need )
*** could even be : next 8 or 10 years

Edited by user 26 September 2014 10:09:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring