Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline franciscohg  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2014 16:56:12(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
In case anyone didnt noticed yet, some nice pieces in auction on ebay.de right now

http://www.ebay.de/usr/u...trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2014 23:10:34(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Some very nice pieces, but it's always a bit suspicious to see "unused" pieces coming out of Germany (or Europe in general). Typically I've seen in Germany, Marklin is played with and always heavily used (why would it not be?). In the US, it's possible to find "unused" trains because perhaps one part was broken and it's difficult to source the part all they way from Germany.

Many sellers find good quality items, replace certain parts with reproductions (or heavily cleaned original parts) and put together various packing materials to make these items look factory new when really they are not. In a way it's deceptive, but it's what many collectors are looking for and so the practice continues.

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2014 23:44:21(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
WOw! Only time I've seen a lot that clean was the stock of a shop that closed 40 years ago and the owner had stuck it in a closet until he passed away. Fake or not those are cool to look at!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline foumaro  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2014 04:47:52(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I do not think those are fake,The seller have a good feedback and the items are not so old.It is a possibility those nice classics are a forgotten stock from an old store as mentioned above,or a very well stored collection.
#5 Posted : 07 February 2014 05:41:59(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
I should probably be a little more specific about what I was referring to. Indeed the items are genuine. Particularly what I'm referring to are the "factory wrappings" and extras.

For instance on the SK 800, that kind of paper with the Marklin logo was as far as I know only used in the construction sets to protect the parts in the various compartments. The wooden blocks are also chamfered on the edges unlike original Marklin blocks -- these are children's blocks! Also the instruction sheet looks to have a print code from 1950 (SK 800 N), far before this version of the SK 800 was produced (1959). The instruction sheet also looks like a reproduction that was perhaps given characteristics of play-wear (but it's hard to say -- they were printed from the same printing plates as the originals and on similar paper). Also metal wheels don't shine like that after being exposed to any kind of oxygen in the air for over 50 - 60 years....they are either new or were run under a buffing wheel with metal polish.

The seller has found a good model that works: buy quality locos, match with an inspection tag, find a suitable instruction sheet, add some wax paper / cardboard rolls, some wooden play blocks, buff the wheels and you have a "new old stock" item.

Best regards

Paul
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline kweekalot  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2014 16:16:31(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
This is what the seller says about it ...

"Hallo liebe E-Bayer, heute möchte ich Ihnen in meiner neuen Auktion wieder einige absolut hochwertige Märklin Modelle vorstellen, die Loks und Wagen stammen alle aus meiner eigenen privaten Sammlung und sind alle aus Laden auflösungen oder damals selbst gekauft worden !"

Translation: "Dear e-Bayer, today I want to show you my new auction with again some absolutely quality Marklin models, the loco's and cars are all from my own personal collection and are all out of shop clearances or been bought at that time by myself !"

Marco
Offline franciscohg  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2014 19:06:10(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Thanks Paul for all your useful information....
Marco, thanks for the translation, the seller does not seems so old to have bought the items himself.....
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline gnorfen  
#8 Posted : 07 February 2014 23:11:23(UTC)
gnorfen

Sweden   
Well, my thoughts on this without specifically targeting this Sellers items is that sometimes the locomotives are too complete, i.e. that some parts are not genuine.

The inspection plates are far too frequent, I have almost none of these in my Collection.

But I have bought several locomtives from the late 50s and 60s that are almost mint in that they have very Little wear of anything apart from pickup.

I sometimes by instruction leaflets from the right age if they are missing from my own model, likewise boxes, but here I am careful to match the box age, by its production year and month so that it is not too new or old vs the production year of the model. Most often a less good optically model but with box and leaflet still here.The inspectors thing I do not bother.

I do not want replica things in general, but I must admit I have a few boxes for DT and ST as these are almost impossible to get.
But on the other hand it is a question what the seller claims that they are....
Likewise I got the ST restored by Ritter, the alternative was to have the set handpainted dreadfully with loads of rusty parts and not working. Interestingly Mr Ritter asked which version I wanted but I took it as it was namely red version, it is my own so it is not restored to sell. I Think it is obvious that it is restored should I ever offer it that Ritter restoration would be part of the description, and besides I personally treats any perfect ST or similar stuff as restored unless absolutely proven otherwise. However I think that at least some auction houses indicates that (Lösch f.e.)

I suspect that many models are partly genuine but then sometimes completed up to "full standard".

But it is not unreasonable to find at least models from the 60's and so on, when I talk to collecting friends that are older some have told me about good models from the 60's they bought from closing Toy shops in the early 80's. One thing that I have come across is also a few very good optically models that has been driven much with noisy and worn machinery, but the owner has only driven it a lot but seldom physically intervened with the model. They looked very good.

Do you collectors out there also think that f.e inspector labels are too frequent?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gnorfen
#9 Posted : 08 February 2014 03:55:09(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Thanks for your thoughts and I do agree about the inspection tags. Locos from the 800 series in the post-war years did have the model number stamped on the back of the instruction tag "ST" for example so it was easy to pair with the correct loco. These tags from the early post-war years are always red in color. Later the colors changed, yellow, purple, orange, green, etc and weren't stamped on the back.

Of course it makes sense for a seller to pair an instruction tag with the locomotive that has the most value. Then, however, we have locos with incorrect tags (wrong color or signature for the year) and everything is mismatched!

Paul
Offline seatrains  
#10 Posted : 08 February 2014 04:46:30(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Paul, not only Germany, I have seen collectors/re-sellers do the same thing here in the USA...
I personally try to stay away from NIB and try to purchase good to excellent used, that way I don't fell bad running them.
One can only have so many "shelf queens"LOL
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by seatrains
#11 Posted : 08 February 2014 05:34:17(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Very true, Thom, it happens everywhere but I suppose it's more noticeable in Germany because the market is bigger there. Sure a seller always tries to make his/her items look the best to fetch the highest price, but when it starts to take away the collectible factor and loose the original quality then it becomes frustrating. It builds a culture in which future collectors don't really know what they're looking at because everything was tampered with.

Lately I've been selling some items on eBay to thin out my HO Marklin stock and noticed some of my items were resold again in Germany for slightly higher prices. With the high eBay fees, shipping costs, and all the time involved I don't see how it's financially profitable but there are plenty who do it!

Paul
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 08 February 2014 07:11:31(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Well he's got active bids now up to 87 Euro's (!!) just for an inspection tag / Prüfsiegel , which I assume for that price is a rare and unusual colour - Purple/Violet - (looks Blue on my monitor)

Yellow one is just slightly less, and other colours besides - Paul have you done an article on these yet? (yes please)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/M..._Modellbau_Modelleisenba[img]nu[img]null[/img]ll[/img]hnen&hash=item43c503cffe

However I would not suggest that those buying them have any intention of fraud. I have only one loco which has one, but I would love to have a few more, I think they look cool attached but if I was ever to resell a loco I would either remove the tag, or simply state that it was not the original one that came with it but is representative of one that 'would have' come with it.

Steve
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
Marklin-geprüft(violet)2.jpg
Marklin-geprüft(yellow)2.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz