Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2014 23:24:34(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I got this great looking old metal Märklin 411 B locomotive roundhouse today. I exchanged it to my Lima 2-rail NSB locomotive and I had paid only around 30 euro for it. So in my opinion this was a great deal Smile . It is not in mint condition, but in very good condition for it's age. If it would have lights inside it would be from years 1950-1961. As it has not it is from year 1963. Or if it is the older first version from 1950-1961 someone has removed those lights.

Door mechanisms works just great and the doors look like new. One chimney is missing from the middle. My friend took some measurements today and he will make the missing part from aluminium and I will paint it with black paint then. He has a lathe to do this work. When he took the measurements from the two parts which are left he noticed a measurement difference of one millimeter in their diameter. So it was not so identically made even originally from the Märklin factory back then in 1950's or 1960's Wink . There is slight signs of small usage too and some glue stain in the lower part.

What do you think? Was it a good exchange? Here are the photos:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I am glad that I got rid off that Lima NSB 2-rail locomotive and got this quite old Märklin roundhouse without any money needed. Good deal in my opinion!

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Renato  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2014 23:44:04(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Janne,

Good deal indeed !

About the missing chimney: it is quite frequent on used locomotive roundhouse that the central chimney is missing.

Infact the left and right chimneys are used to fix the roof on the roundhouse, while the central one is idle and is not put in a threaded hole, so it does not matter if it is a little bit different (you even could not make the thread).

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2014 00:09:25(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Janne,

in my view it is never wrong to give LIMA for MÄRKLIN. ;-)

For all member which don't have a friend with a lathe Ritter offers the chimney as a replica-part: http://www.ritter-restau...Key=1.8;artID=1951;typ=1

Regards

Markus
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Janne75  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2014 00:11:54(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Renato Go to Quoted Post
Hi Janne,

Good deal indeed !

About the missing chimney: it is quite frequent on used locomotive roundhouse that the central chimney is missing.

Infact the left and right chimneys are used to fix the roof on the roundhouse, while the central one is idle and is not put in a threaded hole, so it does not matter if it is a little bit different (you even could not make the thread).

Cheers

Renato

Hi Renato,

Thanks for good information! I did not know these things about the chimneys before.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 04 February 2014 00:16:08(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Janne,

in my view it is never wrong to give LIMA for MÄRKLIN. ;-)

For all member which don't have a friend with a lathe Ritter offers the chimney as a replica-part: http://www.ritter-restau...Key=1.8;artID=1951;typ=1

Regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

Thank you very much for that link and info. If my friend fails somehow to do it ok, then I will know where to get one. He even promised to try to do that toothed edge to the outer edge... I just wonder how is it done really?

EDIT: We decided that I will order this missing part from Ritter as it is so cheap part. It takes too much time to make one when a repro part cost is only 8,50 euro ThumpUp .

Regards,
Janne

Edited by user 04 February 2014 09:29:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2014 09:34:14(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post

EDIT: We decided that I will order this missing part from Ritter as it is so cheap part. It takes too much time to make one when a repro part cost is only 8,50 euro ThumpUp .

Hi Janne,

Don't forget to order a nut, too if you don't have one. The other chimneys are screwed to the stripe, but this one needs a nut.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Janne75  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2014 11:26:31(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   

Hi Janne,

Don't forget to order a nut, too if you don't have one. The other chimneys are screwed to the stripe, but this one needs a nut.

Regards

Markus

Hi again,

Is it some standard thread nut or a special one?

Regards,

Janne
Offline Markus Schild  
#8 Posted : 04 February 2014 12:03:28(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Janne,

it seems to be M4. I measured 3.85 mm on the outside of the thread.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Janne75  
#9 Posted : 04 February 2014 13:58:11(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Janne,

Regards

Markus

Thanks Markus,

Then I can use a normal M4 nut. I have many of them at home.

Regards,

Janne
Offline jvuye  
#10 Posted : 04 February 2014 14:16:55(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi Janne,

Regards

Markus

yes it is M4!

How's the serrating done on the periphery, you asked?

It a simple operation performed on the lathe and called "knurling" identical in principle to what you do when you are create serrations on axles before pressing the wheels on it.

Several patterns can be created (straight, axial, longitudinal, squares, diamonds, helixes etc.) , depending on the type of knurling wheels you select.

Note that for axles of a smaller diameter (like on our locos or coaches) it is a better idea to use a knurling tool with two opposing wheels, which removes the stress on small diameter parts (that would otherwise bend if only pressed one way)

Since a few pics can explain it much better than a long speech, here's a link to a basic single sided approach : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knurling

...and to a dual opposing wheels design, the one I am using to process axles for my trains...and occasionally for some of yours: http://sherline.com/3004inst.htm

I have only a few more secrets left...Laugh Wink Smile

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline BrandonVA  
#11 Posted : 04 February 2014 16:09:39(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Janne,

I think you got a good deal, now you can perhaps display this with a few sections of M track and some vintage appropriate Marklin locos (3005, 3047, etc).

What are the windows on the roof made from?

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 04 February 2014 17:00:27(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I think it is 1950s.

7028 Blue roof in the around 1960 and red roof in the late 1960s.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline steventrain  
#13 Posted : 04 February 2014 17:13:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have one in box date 1950s.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Janne75  
#14 Posted : 04 February 2014 18:32:22(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Janne,

I think you got a good deal, now you can perhaps display this with a few sections of M track and some vintage appropriate Marklin locos (3005, 3047, etc).

What are the windows on the roof made from?

-Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Yes, it was a good deal ThumpUp . It is sad that I don't have room in my train room to display this 411 B. There is only that narrow shelf, so it is now in storage in our living room shelf. When my HR 800 N will be fixed it is a perfect loco to display with this one. I have one DA 800 (model before 3005) and then maybe my oldest 3021 V200 from 1957. Perfect combo! Wink

What I would like to have with this one is either a Märklin 3-way M-track turnout or old metal turntable.

I think the windows are made of plastic, but at the moment this loco shed is in storage.

Regards,
Janne
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#15 Posted : 04 February 2014 18:36:43(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
I think it is 1950s.

Hi Stephen,

I don't have the box for mine, but according to Koll's it should be from year 1963 as it does not have lights and is still with these older colors. First versions from 1950-1961 has interior lights and this version does not have them. Or maybe someone has removed them?

PS. Yours is in great looking condition!

Regards,
Janne
Offline steventrain  
#16 Posted : 04 February 2014 19:28:19(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
I think it is 1950s.

Hi Stephen,

I don't have the box for mine, but according to Koll's it should be from year 1963 as it does not have lights and is still with these older colors. First versions from 1950-1961 has interior lights and this version does not have them. Or maybe someone has removed them?

PS. Yours is in great looking condition!

Regards,
Janne

thanks,

I look at 1960/61 catalogue and the Roundhouse came with interior lights as well.

1950-61 came with lights, 1963 will be without light (I think it was mine)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline mb300e4m  
#17 Posted : 05 February 2014 19:07:22(UTC)
mb300e4m

Nice trade Janne, unless you traded a Lima Blue Train like I did years ago, all mint and boxed. Now I could kick myself, as the prices have gotten to be silly. I am still looking for another one at a reasonable price.

Well done.

Peter B.
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline Janne75  
#18 Posted : 05 February 2014 19:19:47(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post
Nice trade Janne, unless you traded a Lima Blue Train like I did years ago, all mint and boxed. Now I could kick myself, as the prices have gotten to be silly. But I am still looking for one at a reasonable price.

Well done.

Peter B.

Thanks Peter,

That Lima NSB electric was without box and I paid only around 30 euro for it. So this trade was very good. Usually when I trade something I loose myself, but this time we were both happy and that is the main thing.

Regards,

Janne
Offline Janne75  
#19 Posted : 09 February 2014 11:07:01(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

Here is a bit offtopic, but it is very related to this old locomotive roundhouse too, so I want to write it here as I started this topic anyway BigGrin . As I got this Märklin 411 B locomotive roundhouse some time ago I started to search for an older good condition turntable for it.

With this product I did not want to use German eBay as if there is a problem with the older mechanical item it may become difficult to get fixed and so on. So I decided to search what was available on our local Finnish auction market (Internet). I found an old Märklin 410/7186 turntable in good condition. It is with it's original operating controller. With fully reconditioned motor and new motor brushes. It comes with complete cable kits and wiring instructions (copy of them). But without box. It has no rust and looks very good.

There was also these written in that auction text: Ready to use! Quality guarantee and free spare parts and maintenance!

So that seller has done the maintenance and he will do it for free + give and install the needed parts for it in the future too. This was good enough for me and at this morning I won that auction. I will pick it up from this seller personally in the start of the next week or in this evening. I have a holiday week next week, so I have good time to drive over his place around 60 km and get it with me without the need to sending it to me.

Now my "nostalgic Märklin" will get some action when I have soon both of these nice old items. I am sure our sons will like them both and our older Märklin models will get moving more often in the future. My HR 800 N (1947-1949 1.version) project has not progressed as my moneys has gone to many, many, many... LOL other items. But it will one day some year for sure.

I don't have other old Märklin locomotives, but there are some from the 1950's like DA 800 and three analog 3021 V200. Then many from the start of 1960's with manual reversing lever. Then there is three older 346 series cars and maybe very soon two 348 SBB cars.

We will use then all of these in our livingroom floor. I am glad that I have there enough room to have a turntable as on my C-track Digital layout in my trainroom there is not.

I will post some photos to this topic when I get that turntable at home.

Regards,
Janne
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#20 Posted : 09 February 2014 22:27:08(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I bought that turntable today. There is numbers 410 in the building, but I think it must be some kind of 410/7186 hybrid. It is re-painted but looks really good and works well. I just set up a quick testing "layout" on my trainrooms floor. It goes well with that 411 B roundhouse and my trainrooms grey floor. I just tried to hide some electric wires so that is the reason for Koll's Kompakt Katalog to be in the photo BigGrin :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

PS. I know that these M-tracks without the solid center rail are too new for these. I had some of that kind of track earlier, but not at the moment. Should I use some short M-track pieces for the roundhouse as now there is only two 180 mm straight track sections per shed? It looks like there should be, say 2-3 cm track pieces more per shed.

Regards,
Janne
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#21 Posted : 09 February 2014 22:51:16(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Offtopic continues... I got today two old coaches. 348/1 from 1955 6th version and 348/4 from 1952 2nd version. Both have some scratches on their roofs and they should be repainted. Maybe Ritter maybe not...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

These are my first 348 coaches. I have three 346 series coaches too. 346/3 J 4th version from 1954, 346/4 from 1953 4th version and 346/6 from 1952 2nd version. Any of these aren't collectable as there is some signs of usage in all of them, but no rust or other damages. Bottoms are in great condition. But no boxes to any of them... ThumbDown

Regards,
Janne
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75