Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline glight1  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2014 01:39:32(UTC)
glight1

United States   
I am considering converting my 33951 BR 03 Delta Locomotive.

I have never attempted a conversion before and I haven't soldered anything for quite some time. My digital knowledge is limited. In the exploded view of the tender of this Lok, the decoder looks very different from what I have.

Should I get a 60760 conversion kit with both motor and decoder, or just buy the 60942 decoder? The Loco lacks the gradual speed steps and doesn't maintain a consistent speed. Also, the reversing light is mounted directly onto the Delta decoder board. Do I need to buy the 61008 2-pin light bulbs? Any advice or tips would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Gary

[img]http://www.mejuba.com/member/functions/PicturesResize.ashx?aspect=1&height=&width=546&path=//174.142.61.69/e/1/1d17787f-0d7a-4e9c-851b-7441e3865fe8.jpg!546[/img)
glight1 attached the following image(s):
33951.3.jpg
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2014 02:05:51(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello Gary, i think the 60760 is your better choice, you get a basic decoder plus the parts for converting the DCM motor, 60942 is just the decoder, you will have to get the motor parts separately.
Using the 60760 you can always add a better decoder later.
As for the lights I dont have that particular loco and your picture does not load....
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline glight1  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2014 02:16:22(UTC)
glight1

United States   
francishohg,

I attached the pic of the decoder with the bulb.
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2014 02:22:29(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, yes, now it loads.
More "challenging" task, you may try to fit a socket for a two pin bulb or a more radical solution that i have used in similar locos may be to cut the pcb keeping the parts that just allows you to keep the bulbe in the right place, then cut the strips on the pcb to isolate the bulb for other remainings parts of the circuit and sold the feeder wires there
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline glight1  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2014 02:37:36(UTC)
glight1

United States   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hi, yes, now it loads.
More "challenging" task, you may try to fit a socket for a two pin bulb or a more radical solution that i have used in similar locos may be to cut the pcb keeping the parts that just allows you to keep the bulbe in the right place, then cut the strips on the pcb to isolate the bulb for other remainings parts of the circuit and sold the feeder wires there
Regards

Thank you franciscohg. I think that I am going to have to do some 'practice soldering' before I attempt anything yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by glight1
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2014 04:24:54(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I like lights for the headlamps on my lokos. They look like they should and not give the odd colors LEDs provide. I've done conversions with similar decoders. To salvage the rear lamp, I cut the circuit board just in front of the holes for screw and locating post. This provides the room needed for the new decoder. I remove the rest of the stuff from the board except the lamp socket. I then solder the two lamp leads from the decoder either directly to the socket or to circuit foils on the board leading to the lamp socket. Now you do not have to fabricate some way to hold the lamp socket, you've salvaged the bit of the board you need to keep it just where Marklin placed it.

LOL Looks like Francisco and I do the same thing.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Chook  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2014 04:51:35(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Gary, with the soldering, use a resin cored solder for this electronic work. The thinner the better and get the stuff with lead in it as it is much easier to use especially when just starting off and learning.
As Francisco has suggested you can cut the existing printed circuit board so that the mounting holes and lamp securement are preserved.
The most difficult parts of the soldering are firstly identifying the tracks that you want to use and secondly preparing that track to take the solder.
You could simply solder your new wires from the decoder to the existing solder "blobs" which the lamp wires are already using. If however you want to use the track then you will have to VERY gently scrape the conformal coating (that green stuff) with a scalpel blade or similar. A you remove the coating you will see the bright copper underneath.

The actual soldering process - less solder is better and be careful with the amount of heat that you use on the tracks. The glue that they use to stick the copper to the fiberglass board is good but it does have its limitations when it comes to heat. Keep the time that you have the tip on the copper down to less than say 4 seconds.

Remember to "tin" your wires before applying them to the printed circuit board. Strip about 2mm of the insulating plastic from the end and then apply the soldering iron tip to the wire and also the solder to both the wire and the tip simultaneously. Yes you need 3 hands but with practice you will get the hang of it. You will notice that as you apply the heat to the wire that the remaining insulation will heat up and retract exposing more wire. You can cut the excess wire later before terminating it onto your printed cct board.

I also keep the tip of my soldering iron clean by using a damp (not wet) cloth. Simply apply some solder to your tip and wipe it onto the cloth. That solder will attract the rubbish and the be removed by the wiping action.

If your joints start to take on a grey rather than a shiny look it means that you are overheating them and causing the lead to evaporate and leaving more tin on the joint. Better to just reheat that that joint and flick the solder off. (wear safety goggles or glasses!)

Enjoy.

Regards............Chook.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Chook
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2014 06:45:28(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
there are a lot more led's on the market than there used to be especially with the right colour scheme but they are not always easy to find, I've bought some rectangle led's last year and now they are no longer available, I bought them for my SBB Re 4/IV locos but didn't buy enough of them. Led's can be bought to day as white, golden white, sunny white but most of the dealers just order the main lines, I bought some led's years ago with just a point of light which indicated the earlier lamps they've used in older locos.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#9 Posted : 02 December 2014 10:13:45(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: glight1 Go to Quoted Post
I am considering converting my 33951 BR 03 Delta Locomotive.

Hi Gary,
did You finish the conversionm of the 33951? I got this model yesterday and realized the bad driving performance. Therefore, I will change the decoder, too and install the 5-pole HLA (60760) in the first step.

There are two undocumented AUX ports on the 60760 decoder, which can be used for switching the steam generator on and off and e.g. for cabin light.

UserPostedImage

https://www.marklin-user...itor-and-F3-enabled.aspx

Moritz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365