Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2014 06:30:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I promised that I would get to this, so here is my review of the various 1/87 models of the SBB WLAm T2S sleeping car as made by RailTop/Heris, Roco and LS Models:

Roco 64763 WLAm 61 85 75-70 451-4 <+> SBB CFF FFS Moon and Stars
RailTop 13007 WLAm 61 85 75-70 450-6 SBB + CFF Moon and Stars
LSM 47255 WLAm 61 85 75-70 454-6 <+> SBB CFF FFS Blue with Purple Stripes

The RailTop/Heris model appears to have painted rather than separately applied handrails
The undercarriage on the Heris model appears more plasticky. There is a bag of accessories which can be applied to decorate the model, including the bogies. Some Heris models came with more pre-mounted detail on the MD bogies.

The LSM model has very nice detail. This includes the selectable day or night interior details, little decals in the windows. Fine etched steps and entry way. Of the three models, the LSM is the only one that has the fold down footboard for the gangway connection. Roco models used to have this feature. The LSM coach has the best rendering of the little sign saying "betten frei" at the end of the coach with no door. The Roco and Heris model both have a simple metallic plate here with no text.
The LSM model seems to have the best rendition of the coach windows, followed by the Roco model and finally the Heris models. The same also applies to the undercarriage, with the LSM model having the most detail, both on the undercarriage and on the bogies.

The Roco model comes out of the box in nighttime configuration and beds can be seen inside the coach. What I did not like about the Roco model was the oversized reproduction of the step at the end of the coach without a door.

ACME also makes a model of this coach in SBB colours. Unfortunately, I do not have any of the ACME models, so I was unable to make a detailed comparison. Here are some photos of the ACME model (from a dealer):
http://www.reisezugwagen...T2S_SBB_Abteilseite1.jpg
http://www.reisezugwagen...0_T2S_SBB_Gangseite1.jpg

The slide show shows photos of the various models for your enjoyment. It will be available for 14 days or so.
You can download it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/tuwq1i

Here are some photos of the actual coaches:

http://www.railfaneurope...75-70_450-6_Bregenz1.jpg
http://www.railfaneurope...75-70_450-6_Bregenz3.jpg
I could not find many photos of these particular coaches from their days with the SBB.

My apologies. I just noticed that the photos do not appear in the order I intended. I was hoping that it would show the Heris photos, then the LSM ones and finally the Roco ones. i Photo seems to have reverted to the original order in which the photos were loaded. The third photo of the compartment side of the LSM coach appears at the very end of the slideshow instead of in the intended order, as I had retaken this photo and substituted it for one that was a little out of focus.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2014 06:40:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
A scale length reduced model (27cm) of the same coach type was produced by Maerklin with the number 4182. The Maerklin model came with the newer bogies with the offset pivot and shorter coupling shaft, which enabled the coach to be coupled closer than the earlier versions of the same type. Maerklin released a DB version with close couplings as 4240, but never followed it up with other models.

I have one of the 4182 coaches and when coupled to other coaches with close coupling (e.g. 4268 SBB Bcm, 4274 SNCB Bcm, 42696 NS Bc, etc), the spacing is pretty good and it does not detract from the appearance.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2014 20:08:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would like to know if anybody has downloaded the video (slideshow) from sendspace http://www.sendspace.com/file/tuwq1i and whether you were able to watch it?
Is this a good way of providing an overview of models?
It would have been rather time and space consuming to post all of those photos individually. I had thought of putting them together into one collage, but I do not have the software to do this or I do not know how to do this with what I have on my computer.

I would be interested in hearing your feedback and comments and how I can improve these reviews.

Thank you and regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Rinus  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2014 22:24:19(UTC)
Rinus

Tried to watch/download it but mc affee told me its a dangerous site, so I dug for cover and am now waiting below the desk for an all clear sign.
Offline Rinus  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2014 22:31:54(UTC)
Rinus

Hi Mike,

Thx for the review. I too got a version of the 2Ts sleeper. Its one of my favourite because i regularly travel in one from Berlin Ostbahnhof to Arhnem on the Jan Kiepura EuroNight 447.

I got the LSM version (Review). Its as perfect a model coach could possibly be in my opinion. I don't expect it will get better thans this in the near future. Its suberbly detailed.

Rinus
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2014 09:58:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Rinus Go to Quoted Post
Tried to watch/download it but mc affee told me its a dangerous site, so I dug for cover and am now waiting below the desk for an all clear sign.

I guess that a lot of people post music files and other files on these sites that are infected, but I don't think that anybody can infect a file that was uploaded from a clean computer and as long as you don't click on any of the buttons that look like the download button but are not, you should be fine.

In any case, you can save the file to your computer and scan it before you open it.

Regards

Mike C

Heris/RailTop Top, LSM Middle, Roco Bottom
mike c attached the following image(s):
Heris 2.jpg
LSM 2.jpg
Roco 2.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c