Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DV  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2014 03:51:15(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Here is the official version

File Attachment(s):
140113-Dealer info GB.PDF (151kb) downloaded 314 time(s).
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2014 07:53:55(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Thank you Dusan,

I think the new target range makes sense and looks like they haven't forgotten the professional range.

Interesting the letter is signed by Wolfrad Bachle. This is the same guy Tom apparently manage to get an reply from regarding motor/decoder issues. A bit of a shame the experiment with sending a common letter did not work out – can only imagine the effect would have been greater with 30 signatures from around the world rather than one lonely soul in GermanyWink

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2014 08:09:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Interesting the letter is signed by Wolfrad Bächle.
Both CEOs signed the letter to the dealer - that's what I would expect with an official letter aiming at a large audience.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2014 11:07:28(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
The next logical question would be - When?

The Marklin myworld web page is showing no indication that it has received the memo and needs to change
http://www.maerklin.de/de/produkte/myworld.html
Peter
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2014 13:35:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Patience, my friend! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline NS1200  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2014 13:51:40(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Me being a Marklin addict from my early youth till probably my death,i find this again a case of "old wine in new bottles".
As can be seen from the Start Up pages in the 2014 New items brochure,part of the My World assortment has been shifted to the Start Up assortment,not a dramatic change if you ask me.
Now that Marklin shopkeepers have been informed about the three segmented strategy,i wonder how the three segments are being sold.
The My World segment is fit for pure toy shops,selling a lot of plastic rubbish made in the Far East,Intertoys and Bart Smit are the examples in Holland.
The Start Up segment is barely fit for modeltrain shops,like the Marklin shop in the centre of Rotterdam.
The highest segment for high demanding buyers is indeed still fit for modeltrain shops but because prices are sky high,shops cannot stay alive by selling Marklin exclusively.
So,in short,the problem remains the same.
Putting new stickers on old products does not help.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2014 14:03:03(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Me being a Marklin addict from my early youth till probably my death,i find this again a case of "old wine in new bottles".
As can be seen from the Start Up pages in the 2014 New items brochure,part of the My World assortment has been shifted to the Start Up assortment,not a dramatic change if you ask me.
Now that Marklin shopkeepers have been informed about the three segmented strategy,i wonder how the three segments are being sold.
The My World segment is fit for pure toy shops,selling a lot of plastic rubbish made in the Far East,Intertoys and Bart Smit are the examples in Holland.
The Start Up segment is barely fit for modeltrain shops,like the Marklin shop in the centre of Rotterdam.
The highest segment for high demanding buyers is indeed still fit for modeltrain shops but because prices are sky high,shops cannot stay alive by selling Marklin exclusively.

I don’t think the my world is old products with new stickers.

As far as I know no other model railroad manufactures have a dedicated toy range (running safely on batteries) that is compatible with pro-range tracks. And they continue to expand this range. The whole idea that the child can also see the train running on dad's layout is brilliant!

The price for an ICE train set is very attractive and much better quality than other similar toy range.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline NS1200  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2014 15:13:35(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   

I don’t think the my world is old products with new stickers.

As far as I know no other model railroad manufactures have a dedicated toy range (running safely on batteries) that is compatible with pro-range tracks. And they continue to expand this range. The whole idea that the child can also see the train running on dad's layout is brilliant!

The price for an ICE train set is very attractive and much better quality than other similar toy range.

Brgds - Lasse

I was referring to the new Start Up assortment as presented sofar.
What used to be part of My World has been transferred to Start Up.
The ICE was earlier in My World and is now in Start Up,that looks like using new stickers to me.
The meaning of my message was to put the question how Marklin are going to sell their nominated 3 segments,surely not in the same shop.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Danlake  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2014 16:32:47(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Oh - yes I seeBigGrin

Anyway I don't see why the same shop could not hold all segments?

A lot of hobby stores will have toy products mixed with more high tech toys.

You can take your kids to the train shop - daddy looks in one corner - while the children are occupied in another cornerThumpUp

For this to work I actually think a shop needs to carry all segments. Of course the toy range also need to be available in normal toy store, supermarkets etc.

Brgds - Lasse
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline NS1200  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2014 17:05:12(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Oh - yes I seeBigGrin

Anyway I don't see why the same shop could not hold all segments?

A lot of hobby stores will have toy products mixed with more high tech toys.

You can take your kids to the train shop - daddy looks in one corner - while the children are occupied in another cornerThumpUp

For this to work I actually think a shop needs to carry all segments. Of course the toy range also need to be available in normal toy store, supermarkets etc.

Brgds - Lasse

Yes,but it does not work that way,at least for the shops i know.
Offline TimR  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2014 18:35:15(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

As the old saying goes:
"The cards have been shuffled, but the game remains the same."

Enough said.

I think the sentence below pretty much summarized the whole thing:
Marklin wrote:
... we assure you once again that we will continue to pursue the strategy adopted in 2013 and give our products sufficient time to sell through in the marketplace.....

Oh, dear!
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline witzlerh  
#12 Posted : 30 January 2014 18:10:00(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
In North America, there is even more of a separation between the serious model railroader and the beginner product offerings....yet almost every serious modeler had a start set to get them in the hobby... Start sets in the old days were pretty good then.

The NMRA standards that most manufacturers follow may be even more prototypically realistic than Marklin, however, those loks and cars will not do well on a carpet bahn.
The conjunction of shallow flanges and generally poor quality sectional track (C-track and KATO unitrack being an exception) does not make for fun weekends on the floor.

As such, there are excellent train shops for the serious collector but all of those serious collectors will raise their noses at the cheap start sets offered, as they know that it will be work to set up and keep running! (Most of these shops do not know of the my world and START UP. Most of them will most likely either totally avoid Marklin or go all in due to the niche market in NA.)

I have been working many shows with my Marklin dealer in Alberta and the my world is flying off the shelf at the shows because it is good quality track and quick fun! It does not fly in between the shows...
However few parents will go to the train shop to get start sets..... for a variety of reasons. Lack of marketing is to blame. The my world should be sold in Toys R Us and the likes. The START UP will be interesting to place. The dedicated train and/or hobby shops for sure.

In Alberta, there are specialty toy stores that would and should handle the my world and START UP. I am not sure how it is in other areas of NA.
With Walthers being conservative as they are, we may have to take it upon ourselves to introduce this product to the stores ourselves if we want this hobby to grow....
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline TimR  
#13 Posted : 30 January 2014 18:40:08(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post

I have been working many shows with my Marklin dealer in Alberta and the my world is flying off the shelf at the shows because it is good quality track and quick fun! It does not fly in between the shows...
However few parents will go to the train shop to get start sets..... for a variety of reasons. Lack of marketing is to blame. The my world should be sold in Toys R Us and the likes. The START UP will be interesting to place.

I don't think so far Marklin had any experience in the retail world...

This is primarily because traditionally, serious MRR business don't speak in the same language as retail shops business.

Toys R'Us on its own, probably have more similarities in concept to giant superstore businesses like Walmart or France's Carrefour,
compared to more personal service of the average MRR hobby shops.

So understandably, Marklin's experience so far had been limited to dealing with major overseas MRR distributors (like Walthers), or MRR hobby shops scattered around their European backyard.
As had been discussed in various threads in the past, there are still ongoing issues with some of these.
For example: Marklin's support for MRR shops outside Europe.

So yeah, I'm interested to see how Marklin will be able to develop their newly segmented model.
Now collecting C-Sine models.