Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2014 23:42:14(UTC)
H0

German interview:
http://www.nordbayern.de...e-zuruckfuhren-1.3416636

Michael Sieber wrote:
Bei Märklin war die Produktion in China völlig in die Hose gegangen. Noch haben wir nicht alles zurückgeholt. Aber wir erweitern gerade unsere Produktion in Ungarn für zehn Millionen Euro, um dann auch Minitrix wieder in Europa zu fertigen.

"Märklin production in China was a complete failure. We still have not brought back everything. But we just expand our production in Hungary for ten million euros in order to also manufacture Minitrix in Europe again."
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2014 01:52:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Tom,
Interesting.

Hornby are in the throes of debilitating production delays, with at least one of their Chinese manufacturers.
Hornby paid out £600,000 to break their contract with that supplier.
Their are a lot of misgivings in the toy and hobby retailing, and in the stock-market, over that, and model enthusiasts are none too happy either.

See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2545561/Toy-manufacturer-Hornby-puts-warning-delays.html

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline NZMarklinist  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2014 06:03:37(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
From the "NZ" article Google translation thru Google Chrome browser I now use for the forum

"Sieber: We have already started around the year 2000 around to make us as Simba Dickie independent of China, as we have bought in Europe a number of companies with production. In Märklin production in China was entirely gone in my pants. We still have not brought back everything. But we just expand our production in Hungary for ten million euros to then also manufacture Minitrix back in Europe."

I take that to mean Mr Sieber thought the production in China was very messy Blink Laugh

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2014 06:13:12(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Tom,

Interesting article.

So Simba Dickie was surprised of the amount of discounts sales going on and will not continue as this is not profitable in the long run?

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2014 08:33:09(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
So Simba Dickie was surprised of the amount of discounts sales going on and will not continue as this is not profitable in the long run?
That's what he says. I wrote it a few times before: while looking for an investor (a buyer), Märklin had to present growing profits and growing sales year by year.
The "Loco of the Month" sales were just the tip of the ice cube, they were also selling large amounts of stocked items to a handful of dealers who would then dump them on eBay with about 50 % discounts.
Customers learned the lesson that pre-ordering is "fatal" for the budget as those who waited a few months would get it cheaper.

See also:
https://www.marklin-user...iscounts.aspx#post431696

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2014 09:24:53(UTC)
Goofy

I´m not suprised about failure in China,since it was already warnings signal to choise China as market producer with bad results!!
So factory who moves to China fools.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2014 09:34:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm glad that production is mostly coming back to Europe.

Products made in China are not necessarily bad quality, but I think some of the factories had committed to production targets they could not meet, hence the slippage in quality and huge delays.

I think that we can keep the low cost production in Eastern Europe, At least it's closer to home for Marklin.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2014 12:13:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I'm glad that production is mostly coming back to Europe.

Products made in China are not necessarily bad quality, but I think some of the factories had committed to production targets they could not meet, hence the slippage in quality and huge delays.

I think that we can keep the low cost production in Eastern Europe, At least it's closer to home for Marklin.

True Ray, the quality from China can be kept to stringent specifications.
The production delays experienced by Hornby, were initially due to shifting of a manufacturing plant.
This caused work flow problems, as you could imagine.

It is my opinion that Simba Dickie will have a positive impact on Marklin, even if it takes time (years).

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline DamonKelly  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2014 12:59:33(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
regards
Kimball

...but usually at a cost that makes manufacturing in Europe (or Australia, USA etc...) cost-competitive.
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline DV  
#10 Posted : 28 January 2014 03:46:05(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 28 January 2014 04:35:51(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: DamonKelly Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
regards
Kimball

...but usually at a cost that makes manufacturing in Europe (or Australia, USA etc...) cost-competitive.

Exactly right. There was a story on the national news about a company in Cleveland that moved manufacturing to China. They found keeping quality where they wanted was impossible. So they hired a new production manager and she figured out ways to streamline production and make it in the US at a price that would keep them competitive. I've heard lots of stories about quality in China. It seems as soon as you head out the door, the quality goes out with you. Out of sight, out of mind.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Danlake  
#12 Posted : 28 January 2014 08:04:07(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
As far as I know Imac, Ipads and Ipods are mainly made in China (designed in California).

I guess it all depends on the comittment the company makes and how much control with the manufacturing process.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline biedmatt  
#13 Posted : 28 January 2014 12:30:11(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
One would think once you have the production line and the staff manning that line operating at the level of quality desired they could maintain that level of quality. Apparently they really do not care about anything but the fastest and cheapest way to fill your orders. The choices they make are costing them orders. But apparently, that too does not matter.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline NS1200  
#14 Posted : 29 January 2014 14:00:41(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Are the Marklin USA plastic freight cars made in China?
I had a couple (Union Pacific boxcars) and threw them in the bin!
Much to my surprise there is again a series of them for 2014.
The construction is poor,they are very fragile,and not worth the money.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline NS1200  
#15 Posted : 29 January 2014 14:07:20(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
One would think once you have the production line and the staff manning that line operating at the level of quality desired they could maintain that level of quality. Apparently they really do not care about anything but the fastest and cheapest way to fill your orders. The choices they make are costing them orders. But apparently, that too does not matter.

It all stands or falls with adequate quality control by western staff at the end of the line.
Big car makers like Mercedes,Volkswagen,and Peugeot are very active in China and turning out hundreds of cars every day.
I cannot imagine these makers would be happy with sub standard products,even for use on local markets.

Me being active in supplying vessels will not buy any sort of product from Chinese suppliers if I can find an alternative elsewhere.
This ranges from technical items to fresh produce.

Paul.
Offline Goofy  
#16 Posted : 29 January 2014 19:04:38(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post

It all stands or falls with adequate quality control by western staff at the end of the line.
Big car makers like Mercedes,Volkswagen,and Peugeot are very active in China and turning out hundreds of cars every day.
I cannot imagine these makers would be happy with sub standard products,even for use on local markets.

Me being active in supplying vessels will not buy any sort of product from Chinese suppliers if I can find an alternative elsewhere.

Paul.

It reports here in Sweden,that Mercedes is not better in quality than what Volvo has.
Yet Mercedes is more expensive!!

H0
Offline NS1200  
#17 Posted : 29 January 2014 20:22:10(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Paul.

It reports here in Sweden,that Mercedes is not better in quality than what Volvo has.

Anders,that is beside the point!
We are talking production in China!

Paul.
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#18 Posted : 30 January 2014 09:17:06(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Paul.

Paul.

No, we're not. We're talking about an interview with Michael Sieber.

The Sieber interview brought in the discussion about quality concerns with Chinese producers.
You brought in the comparative discussion discussion about car quality.
Anders responded to that with a comparative discussion about his local motor industry.

P.S. If you're relying on quality control at the end of the process, then you probably deserve to go out of business. Mellow

This deleted post is restored by moderator.
Dear Mulldog Lemon, restoring your deleted posts is a lot of work for the moderators, so please stop deleting your posts !!

Edited by moderator 29 March 2014 07:39:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon
Offline NS1200  
#19 Posted : 30 January 2014 11:27:24(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Mulldog Lemon Go to Quoted Post

Paul.

Paul.

No, we're not. We're talking about an interview with Michael Sieber.

The Sieber interview brought in the discussion about quality concerns with Chinese producers.
You brought in the comparative discussion discussion about car quality.
Anders responded to that with a comparative discussion about his local motor industry.

P.S. If you're relying on quality control at the end of the process, then you probably deserve to go out of business. Mellow

You are holding the wrong end of the stick.
Question was production in China yes or no.
Marklin decided to give it up.
Mercedes,Volkswagen and Peugeot have not given up.
Nothing to do with quality of a specific car.
I did not declare a statement that Mercedes is a good car,did I?
Why Anders brings in the argument about Volvo versus Mercedes I do not know.
Read my entries properly and you will get the message.
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 30 January 2014 12:06:29(UTC)
H0

Did they?

Märklin tell us year by year that they transfer production from China to Hungary. But in 2012 Stefan Löbich said that they couldn't leave China completely and I presume they won't.

The battery-powered trains are made in China and I don't think they will change that.
There are rumours that gauge I locomotives are also made in China.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline NS1200  
#21 Posted : 30 January 2014 15:16:40(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Did they?

Märklin tell us year by year that they transfer production from China to Hungary. But in 2012 Stefan Löbich said that they couldn't leave China completely and I presume they won't.

The battery-powered trains are made in China and I don't think they will change that.
There are rumours that gauge I locomotives are also made in China.

The statement was: "Noch haben wir nicht alles zuruckgeholt"/We have not as yet pulled back all activities.
To me that sounds like that most activities in China have been stopped,and that apparently Minitrix will be pulled back to Hungary.
What remains in China must be because of running contracts and associated penalties.
It is obvious that Marklin has enough of Chinese activities,and that was the meaning of my message.
The message from Mr.Loebich is clear enough,freely translated his pants are full of it!
So,why would Marklin want to stay in China,because they like the Chinese so much?
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 30 January 2014 16:16:13(UTC)
H0

The message from Mr.Loebich is clear enough,freely translated his pants are full of it!
Mr Sieber said that, not Mr Löbich, and he wasn't talking about his pants. He meant to say it went bad, it was a failure.
It was Mr Löbich who said that an international company could not do completely without China.

So,why would Marklin want to stay in China,because they like the Chinese so much?
The battery-powered trains are still made in China, the power supplies are made in China - and I presume many other things, too.
Why? Because it's still cheaper there.

The American forum members who get their stuff via Walthers still see Made in China stickers on some Märklin products - and I don't think this will change in the next few years.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#23 Posted : 30 January 2014 18:20:08(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

NZ: Als Produktionsstandort für Märklin hat Asien ausgedient. Eine vorausschauende Entscheidung angesichts politischer Unruhen in Thailand und Lohnsteigerungen in China?

This 'question' referred to political problems in Thailand and wage increases in China. The inference being that manufacturing in Asia was now unpredictable.

Quote:

Bei Märklin war die Produktion in China völlig in die Hose gegangen.
This was the only reference to Chinese production. I am interpreting it as 'the arse has fallen out of Chinese manufacturing'.

Quote:

Perhaps you need to read the article properly.

There was virtually NOTHING said about the quality of Chinese-sourced products. It was a wide-ranging interview that covered lots of ground about Simba-Dickie's purchase of Marklin.
The problem that Sieber is addressing by leaving China appears to relate to increasing costs; not decreasing quality.

This deleted post is restored by moderator.
Dear Mulldog Lemon, restoring your deleted posts is a lot of work for the moderators, so please stop deleting your posts !!

Edited by moderator 29 March 2014 07:44:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#24 Posted : 30 January 2014 19:18:55(UTC)
Goofy

There is some reasons of why we are writing about produce in China with bad quality as results.
Mercedes is NOT BETTER than what others cars exist.
It´s name that are synonum as high prices and simulated quality.
Märklin are tired of bad results in theirs products and want to move back to Europe.
I think Märklins new 3 pole motor is made in China.
The cheapest as possible,but motor has bad quality and 5 pole DCM or Faulhaber is much better and they are produced in Europe.
Michael Sieber is an business man and nows the truth,that we don´t have afford to lose with bad quality.
Märklin staff personal did also said:In next 5 years we shall become best in the World by produce train models.
Let´s see in next 5 years...

H0
Offline NS1200  
#25 Posted : 31 January 2014 10:12:04(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
H0 and Goofy,

As always,my comments seem to result in endless wordgames about words I use or not use,or whatever.
It is time to use my energy for more important matters in life.
As such,it is time for you to find another victim on the forum,sorry guys,and good luck with it!
Offline Tom Jessop  
#26 Posted : 31 January 2014 11:29:36(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

A friend of ours in the medical research field told us that the company they owned in Oz had arranged a contract with a manufacturing company in China to produce Imaging machinery for high class hospital use. When the first delivery's were being installed they found so many mistakes & under specifications that the machines were all removed & sent back. Ozzy management then departed for China to oversee the manufacture of the imaging machines & discovered that the Chinese company would try to downgrade all parts from what was actually specified . This led to a permanent position in China to oversee everything that was being produced down to the smallest screw & bolt fitted otherwise a sub standard item would be passed thru the production line for delivery to hospitals world wide.

Cheers Tom in Oz.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Goofy  
#27 Posted : 31 January 2014 16:21:35(UTC)
Goofy

Even Jeco(Swedish Company of Swedish trainmodels) have problems with China in question about quality.
So does tell the truth about problems...
It cost money for company by try to fix the problems,but it´s quilty and responsbiality to make avoid of the mistakes.
H0
Offline Goofy  
#28 Posted : 31 January 2014 16:35:40(UTC)
Goofy

H0 and Goofy,

As always,my comments seem to result in endless wordgames about words I use or not use,or whatever.
As such,it is time for you to find another victim on the forum,sorry guys,and good luck with it!

What victim???
Don´t we are the victim of manipulated by market too?
When Märklin did introduced cheap 3 pole motor,there was no information.
When Märklin did upgrade MS2 to version 1.83,there was no information about default CV protocol with mfx and mfx+ decoder( i suppose it has to do with the new decoder).
If not less Märklin wanted customer to buy CS2 in case to control and adjust CV adresses with the mfx and mfx+ decoder.
Märklinist can also been naiv to confuse problems from the factory Märklin.
When Michael Sieber did present problem,it means for the customer too who buys Märklin products like locomotivs with bad motor and decoder.
It means Märklin must change status byself,by to fix the problems.
There is always trouble,but also sun arrives and shining to all people.
Be happy and try to solve problems byself or if somebody can help you.
The Life it aint easy,but i confuse somebody by fool against me as customer.

H0
Offline H0  
#29 Posted : 31 January 2014 16:48:35(UTC)
H0

H0 and Goofy,

NS1200,

you quoted a Google translation and I pointed out if was somewhat incorrect IMHO as it translated a figure of speech word by word without conveying the meaning. No offence intended.
You quoted Mr Sieber but attributed the quote to Mr Löbich. Errare humanum est. No offence intended.

This is a discussion forum. People who agree can click on "Thank", people who do not agree can click on "Post reply".
People who feel victimized can click on "Report".
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#30 Posted : 31 January 2014 16:50:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Mulldog Lemon Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps you need to read the article properly.

There was virtually NOTHING said about the quality of Chinese-sourced products.
Not in this article.
See the PDF attached to post 11 in this thread:
https://www.marklin-user...uge-Fans.aspx#post302187

They do not mention China ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#31 Posted : 01 February 2014 05:47:52(UTC)
Goofy

How about LGB and scale 1...?
I haven´t got the information,what future they have.
H0