Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2014 10:40:19(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
You may notice the C-tracks was dummy with all plastic in the 2014 new items.

Check out the Catalogue number 29208, 29209, 29212, 29300, 29303 and 29370.

Also track pack 23300.

All track are plastic and cannot use with 3-rail operating, If you buy straights tracks from the 23300 track plan is idea for display case or shelf for locos.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline BrandonVA  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2014 17:32:18(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Steven,

I noticed this also. I like how the new battery powered sets come with a figure 8. Lots of fun to watch it go around. I suppose having plastic track is probably a bit cheaper to make, and probably safer for young children (less pinched fingers?). It's an interesting move, as the battery powered sets are now a more indirect gateway to moving up to "regular" Marklin. With real C tracks the progression would be easier, but now the whole battery powered sets are pretty much stand-alone and go-alone.

Regardless, these battery powered trains are great...my kids love the 29200 ICE.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline waorb  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2014 19:18:05(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
All track are plastic and cannot use with 3-rail operating, If you buy straights tracks from the 23300 track plan is idea for display case or shelf for locos.

Hi Steven!

I bought a 29204, and the tracks are the same standard C-tracks. All plastic indeed (is there another ones instead of plastic? Old M-tracks doesn't count).

As advertised, the tracks could be joined together with the layouts for 3-rail operations...

Cheers,

Walter
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2014 19:35:17(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Walther,

I think it's just the 2014 "figure 8" battery powered sets with all plastic C track (plastic rails). The previous battery powered sets had standard C track as your 29204 and my 29200.

-Brandon
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2014 22:57:08(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
If I may, a post on my favorite topic - perspective
(the aim is to ensure people do not draw an assumption that the new "sturdy plastic (railed) track" equates in any way with the new "Start up" range)

2011, Märklin introduced the "Märklin my world" brand.
within this brand, but with no other name to distinguish them, were 2 distinct flavors
A) Battery powered, IR DIRECT Controlled, plastic wheels, magnetic couplings
B) Digital locomotives (FX) with 3R pickup shoe for a powered track controlled INDIRECTLY via IR CONVERTER/ADAPTER.

In the same brand, and for both flavors, C-Track was inherently pushed. But it wasn't sufficient to use the existing products, even in the standard boxes (10 for straights, 6 for curves). Märklin had to invent new packages (4 straights,3 curves) - in some cases , like the 20977 v 24977 there is only the color of the box. At least the 74492 did differ from the 74491 by having a different cable (not highlighted in the catalog)
It remains a debatable point as to whether the extra cost of parallel packaging out weighed the confusion generated - certainly any of the bigger re-sellers didn't bother stocking a separate item

So, in summary both flavors were sold with C-Track (probably because there was no other option at the time - even though the MM article made a statement that the"Type-A" trains could run across the un-tracked floor))

we see a click and mix (NOT BRANDED) product introduced under the "Märklin my world" brand - This relates to "my world - type A" in as much as the locomotive control was still battery powered and IR DIRECT controlled
These were train (locomotive - wagon) features and had no bearing on the track. The C in C-Track, for those that remember the original announce, was the initial for "Click"

We continue to see the "my world" brand in use, and I am heartened by the comments on page 30

"The most important things about Märklin my world is an overview"
The line comprises exclusively battery-operated trains
- read , the track powered trains of the old my world have been removed from the brand
All Starter sets include sturdy plastic track made just for children.
- read, a practical refinement of what is more appropriate for this age group (price point for parents?)
This track can be expanded with the Märklin C-Track
- read, retains the ROI proposition of C-Track being used as the children develop - to be like a grown-ups layout
- DOES NOT mean that the my world trains (Type-A and 2014) can be powered by the track

Along with the plastic track, we see the "Click and Mix" brand appearing and being promoted.
All the while, we do continue to see variants and progression on the train stock, particularly railcars (ICE, TGV ...) and FREIGHT as Plastic wheels / Battery powered train sets. This addresses the need to keep faith with those who have bought into the "my world - Type-A" brand of the last 3 years and wish to extend their portfolio.

Just a thought : There is a marketing need for a name to distinguish this new track, In English P-Track might work but that is exactly what K(kunststoff) of K-Track in German stood for. On the other side of the coin (see below) there may be no need/demand to expand this technology outside the starter set and single expansion pack.

It should also be noted that if .. "This track can be expanded with the Märklin C-Track" ... , it could also be expanded with T-Track (Ok I know it should be called "Trix C-Track". The 2 rail equivalent, should that be the desired future direction of ones railway modelling.

Märklin Shop lists the #23300, "plastic rail" expansion pack for 19.90€. , which compares with 76.35€ for the sum of C-Track pieces or 64,99 € for the #24902 (3 less straights)
It is NOT CLEAR if the new "plastic rail" pieces will be available separately , with only the #23300 reference and in combination with the ... "this track can be expanded with the Märklin C-Track" ... statement, it would seam that if additional products do appear they will not be doing so soon.

"Märklin Start up"
As stated in the "my world" overview, that range is now exclusively for the battery operated trains, the old "type-B" has been broken off and given its own name "Märklin Start up". OTHERWISE THE PRODUCT POSITIONING IS THE SAME.

It is the marketing push and distinction that is the most evident in the New Items brochure, with repetitive references to "the perfect entry OR reentry... " even to the point of spelling this out as school-children, beginners, AND returning model railway fans - leaving no doubt that this could be a "Start up" for people of all ages.

With historic perspective however, the "Start up" is little more than the old hobby range with a little bit more plastic and less detail than the main stream models. If there was a distinguishing factor at the outset it would be the "IR control INDIRECT to the Track adapter box" and this should not be focused on, as the next step should be a MS2 type device.
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2014 04:02:28(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
My grandson loves his two trains. My daughter says he also takes them to bed with him, tucks them in and tells them good night. :) He's 4 years old.
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2014 02:01:08(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
http://medienpdb.maerkli...klin_myworld_2014_en.pdf

Can someone please comment on the mechanism used in the turnouts that are part of the plastic track portfolio
- is there any? - pictures do not show anything that looks like a lever.
- is it , perhaps, like the Alpha thumb wheel?
- can it be fitted for remote operation ?
Peter