Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2014 22:54:41(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Here's a question for our members who are FLUENT in both German and English, and also in the particular terminology of our model railways hobby.

I'm particularly interested in a translation of the introduction sections of the Koll's price guides.

For example, I have or have access to several Koll's editions which I have borrowed and oogled from time to time, and for the individual item descriptions you can generally work out the finer detail. And in the worst case, I simply re-type the original German text into an online Translator and the result is generally good enough for what I need.

But taking the several-page introduction for example, not only is it laborious work typing it all in, but it's also a much less satisfactory translation method relying on a machine which does not get to subtleties and nuances of what is being conveyed.

So my question is, for those who are truly fluent in both, I understand that you really 'know' a different language when you actually 'think' (and sometimes dream) in that language. My dream would be to know German to that level, but without a regular partner and practice it just does not happen.

So if you were reading a German text, what goes on in the mind when you are translating to another language? - and here I'm thinking of Interpreters such as those used in Political or Business discussions where a near-perfect translation is done 'on the fly' as it were (and usually two-way to preserve the integrity of what was said).

And then I got to thinking, how easy would it be for someone with this skill, to take any given text (such as the first several pages of a Koll's edition), or maybe a technical description of some item or topic and do the same type of interpretation while also speaking into a voice-recognition system??

And this got me on to thinking about the Microsoft Office suite which already has voice recognition built in, a feature that not a lot of people know about and even less actually use but it's actually very helpful.

Effectively you are using Word or Excel as a Dictation machine except that you are not recording the translation audibly, rather the spoken text is being captured into the document (although you could also record it to an audio format such as mp3).

However I've found it to be brilliant when I'm needing to put a lot of information into a spreadsheet for example, and I just find it a heap easier to 'talk' the text in rather than type, mainly because I'm not a copy-typist (Nadine is a good copy-typist but I save that for the really important stuff and it's really slow-going typing German when you don't know it).

So how' that for an interesting question?

And for those interested in how it's done, if you have a compatible version of MS Office (I think at least 2003 on does it, but I'm using 2007) and a suitable Microphone/Headset, here's the steps... it is surprisingly accurate but you must take the initial few (15-20) minutes to 'train it' to your voice by reading the sample texts provided in setup.

To dictate text

1: Open Speech Recognition by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Windows Speech Recognition.

2: Say "start listening" or click the Microphone button to start the listening mode.

3: Open the program you want to use or select the text box you want to dictate text into.

4: Say the text that you want dictate.

Pretty easy huh?
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2014 23:25:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
One of the jobs I did in my life was sound operator and technician for simultaneous translation at conferences and other private and government events. Having observed the translators there as well as on various TV broadcasts. In Canada, having two official languages, politicians (at least Federally and here in Quebec) often switch back and forth between languages, rather than giving two separate announcements or presentations in the two languages.
Translating on the fly, especially between languages like German and English is difficult, because in some cases, the verb is at the end of the sentence in one language and should be towards the start of the sentence in the other. So numerous times, the translator will say something, and then go back and correct the phrase once the sentence has been completed in the original language.
It is much easier in cases of presentations where the text can be given to the translators, because they already know the phrase and it's context before it is spoken.
Software to translate would have the same issues.
When I am writing a letter, I can take my time and think in German. Most often, if I stumble, I can go back to English for a word, try to find the correct translation and then try to get back into a German train of thought and resume writing. It is much harder in conversation because you can't do the pause thing and then get back to it.

A voice activated VTT app might have problems with a person reading phonetically if the program is not designed to do so.
It would be nice if there was a phonetic app that would do Voice To Text (VTT) and then replay with the correct pronunciation and translation.
I think they had that in Star Trek. It was called the Universal Translator.

We have gone in just under 50 years to having "Communicators", Pad type tablets and there is no reason why the translator cannot be built before the Vulcans arrive

Regards

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2014 23:49:57(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Thanks Mike, yes I was mindful of the order of German speaking where the entire text needs to be processed before making a response, and fortunately in this instance I am referring to translation of printed articles so I imagine that the person doing the translation would first read the topic, either sentence by sentence, or paragraph to understand the concept/context, and then repeat the phrase or block of text in the desired output language.

I guess it would be slow, and we used to have a translator in our club who regularly translated articles for us who was actually a professional translator as well so I guess he knew his stuff, but if I recall, he would sit down with the original text, and then translate by hand-writing or typing it in English.

But the translation must have already been done in his mind at that point so I wonder if a dictation method of capturing those thoughts would have been quicker than the writing or typing of those same thoughts.

I also suspect, that translation of the type I am proposing might be easier than translating something more abstract such as a work of fiction, or someones informal thoughts?

In this hobby at least we are dealing with defined items, a relatively narrow range of specific terms/descriptions etc. Is the Koll's introduction (several pages) written in a formal or informal style??

Thanks again for your input
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2014 01:03:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
There are pen style OCR scanners on the market that beat typing. Have a look here -> http://www.irislink.com

The problem is that most of these things are geared up for English and languages like German have those pesky extra characters. Good OCR software is very expensive $400+.. I guess it comes down to how much is your time worth?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2014 01:29:41(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Voice recognition is overrated.. I would hate to think how many dialects of German there are nowadays.. I drive a German car and have to use a Texan accent to get the car to understand me! There are many videos of the great Scottish war against Siri that rivals the English and Scottish border wars with massed frying pans!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Bassecourt2854  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2014 02:06:15(UTC)
Bassecourt2854

United States   
Growing up in Switzerland, in the French speaking area, the first foreign language we learnt at school was German, so from about 9-10 years old till the end of your school years, you have German every day. English came later as a second foreign language.
So we did a lot of German, and after college I worked in the Swiss German area for 4 years, so my German was pretty good (I say was because 15 years in the USA kind of ruined my German).
Anyway, based on my own experience I can tell you it is rather easy to have a nice conversation with someone in the foreign language you learnt but it is a very different story to be good in various fields where a certain lingo is used, it is also very difficult to understand the double meaning of some words, the slang and the humor of a different culture. Still now after 15 years in the US I don't understand all the jokes of my friends and colleagues.
So for a software to be good enough to capture and translate correctly all the nuances of a language?!... It's gonna take some more time, maybe not in my life time.
But a translator for a very specific field? That seems more likely.
Cheers!
Alain G.
Can't go wrong with a Swiss loc!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bassecourt2854
Offline nevw  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2014 02:08:44(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Voice recognition is overrated.. I would hate to think how many dialects of German there are nowadays.. I drive a German car and have to use a Texan accent to get the car to understand me! There are many videos of the great Scottish war against Siri that rivals the English and Scottish border wars with massed frying pans!

OMG will I have to speak with a swedish accent in the VOLVOBlushing Woot Unsure
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 18 January 2014 02:20:48(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post

More like Chinese! LOL (From Wikipedia - "Volvo Car Corporation, or Volvo Personvagnar AB, is a Swedish premium automobile manufacturer, owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group of China.")
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline nevw  
#9 Posted : 18 January 2014 03:06:49(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post

More like Chinese! LOL (From Wikipedia - "Volvo Car Corporation, or Volvo Personvagnar AB, is a Swedish premium automobile manufacturer, owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group of China.")

R So but the RH Drive vehicles are made in Sweeden. China is mainly making BIG cars and SUVs for the US Market. Hope springs eternal

Now a bit OT, have you got them driving gloves and cloth hat in stock yet??LOL Flapper
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 18 January 2014 03:46:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Hi Adrian,

I'm afraid you're missing both points. I have a scanner and OCR, that's not what I want.

I have suggested a person do the reading, in German, and the speaking into Voice Recognition in English. No translation technology whatsoever, hence a fluent German/English skill set.

Accent, dialect etc does not matter, because you train the software to your own voice. When was the last time you tried it Adrian?, I agree it used to be quite a hit and miss affair but the technology has come a long way over the years.

There will still be some manual correction required but I still believe what I'm suggesting will cut out some of the tedium.

BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline xxup  
#11 Posted : 18 January 2014 07:17:12(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Hi Adrian,

I'm afraid you're missing both points. I have a scanner and OCR, that's not what I want.

I have suggested a person do the reading, in German, and the speaking into Voice Recognition in English. No translation technology whatsoever, hence a fluent German/English skill set.

Accent, dialect etc does not matter, because you train the software to your own voice. When was the last time you tried it Adrian?, I agree it used to be quite a hit and miss affair but the technology has come a long way over the years.

There will still be some manual correction required but I still believe what I'm suggesting will cut out some of the tedium.

BigGrin

Oh I got the points and I admit that my experience with PC-based voice recognition tools is dated, but I doubt that they are THAT good. Further, how much are you going to pay the poor German soul who has to read 1460 pages (less pictures) of a pretty dull book? RollEyes
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 18 January 2014 08:49:13(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Hi Adrian,

BigGrin

Oh I got the points and I admit that my experience with PC-based voice recognition tools is dated, but I doubt that they are THAT good. Further, how much are you going to pay the poor German soul who has to read 1460 pages (less pictures) of a pretty dull book? RollEyes

"Dull?", that my friend is the difference between the passionate collector and the modeler - the modeler would find it boring, just like I would not count rivets, concern myself whether the shade of pasture was realistic for the region being implied or care what ran with what. The collector (well, some of them anyway) thrives in the minutiae of knowing all he/she can about the item.

As for how much to pay the poor soul?, once again, I never said reading the whole book, the individual item descriptions are not what I wanted - in fact I repeated several times, just the first few introductory pages, 10-15 max. And I just used Koll's as an example but it could just as easily be a collector article in an old Märklin Magazin.

What I wanted to throw out there, to someone who 'could' actually do what I proposed, was whether it 'could' be done and the thought process involved.

And I suspect someone who does have that capability, on this forum, might quite happily volunteer to do the task in exactly the same way as many of us respond to a request by scanning and uploading items, doing research on the net which some find easier than others, opening up and item to take detailed photos etc.

Let me give you another example - in my sometimes life as an I.T. person, I often have to explain difficult technical concepts to customers or workmates in very plain English and I always admire someone who can do that for me. I suspect a similar thought process is involved - I have to think through the topic and then find in my head alternative non-technical words and analogies to paint a picture in the other persons mind hopefully in a way they can explain it back to me and it still is accurate, even if 'dumbed down'.

Cool
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline xxup  
#13 Posted : 18 January 2014 08:54:32(UTC)
xxup

Australia   

Hi Adrian,

BigGrin

"Dull?", that my friend is the difference between the passionate collector and the modeler - the modeler would find it boring, just like I would not count rivets, concern myself whether the shade of pasture was realistic for the region being implied or care what ran with what. The collector (well, some of them anyway) thrives in the minutiae of knowing all he/she can about the item.

But once again, I never said reading the whole book, the individual item descriptions are not what I wanted - in fact I repeated several times, just the first few introductory pages, 10-15 max. And I just used Koll's as an example but it could just as easily be a collector article in an old Märklin Magazin.

Cool

Today an introduction.. Tomorrow the whole book.. I have not seen a mad rush from the speakers of fluent German on this forum to take up your offer.. Flapper
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline cookee_nz  
#14 Posted : 18 January 2014 09:43:31(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Hi Adrian,

BigGrin

But once again, I never said reading the whole book, the individual item descriptions are not what I wanted - in fact I repeated several times, just the first few introductory pages, 10-15 max. And I just used Koll's as an example but it could just as easily be a collector article in an old Märklin Magazin.

Cool

Today an introduction.. Tomorrow the whole book.. I have not seen a mad rush from the speakers of fluent German on this forum to take up your offer.. Flapper

Sadly Adrian, I think we're going round in circles. I know what I asked for to begin with, and I'll wait for one of the members who can actually do what I proposed to respond (regardless of whether they would actually want to - that's quite a different question).

1: Can a fluent speaker read a section of text in German, process it in their mind, and then 'speak' that same text back, translated into English?, just as if I was sitting next to them and I asked them, "what does this mean" - and we already know that task is simple, easy-peasy, gets done here regularly when someone ask for a translation.

2: And because I know this 'can' already be done, from the above example, my next question is whether the same person would be able to give the same translation audibly, by recording it? - in the old days, I'd have said onto a cassette, ie a dictaphone - a literal and actual recording. But we don't have to do that any more, now we can record it direct to an audio file, an mp3 for example, and that recording could be emailed to the recipient to transcribe themselves back to written text.

3: But even that has a solution - instead of (or as well as) recording to an audio file, why not record to voice-recognition instead and have the transcription done in one hit - yes with hiccups and burps captured as comma's, hyphens, mis-spelt words etc. It will still need editing, but the bulk of the work is already done, the raw data is there and it's been done by 'someone' who knows the language and has thought about it, rather than a machine guesstimate.

As for the mad rush, give them time, don't forget we're into the weekend and I suspect more than a few members of this forum participate at work rather than home or have weekend commitments making the forum a low priority.

And note I didn't specifically ask for someone 'to' do it, I just wanted the proof-of-concept from someone who 'could' do it, to take me through how possible/practical it 'would' be, using my suggested method. That was all. If it would give them a blinding headache, or take several hours for which they would want $100 per hour then at least I'd still have my answer - "Yes it can be done, but this is what is involved", or "No, what you're proposing is stupid, and you're a moron for asking oh and by the way the reason it can't be done like you suggested it because of....(explained)"

If I get shot down then so be it, but it will be by someone who actually 'can' do what I asked, regardless of how feasible it might be, rather than from those who may not even have the required mix of skills to begin with and are therefore not qualified to answer (but who are all the same very welcome to contribute a considered opinion).

No matter, we have a native and fluent German (Austrian actually I think) in our club, if I see him at clubnight next Friday I'll ask - I just thought it was worth asking here because if the idea interested me, then surely out of several hundred/thousand other members, at least one other will also be interested in the answer.

Unsure
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline mb300e4m  
#15 Posted : 18 January 2014 18:59:22(UTC)
mb300e4m

Hi Adrian,

BigGrin

If every member chips in one dollar, we ought to be able to hire a UN Translator. LOL BigGrin
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m