Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline garben  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2014 17:32:25(UTC)
garben

United States   
Hello, I have a 487 x 150 table an I'm looking building a c-track tryout. I would want the possibility of having 2 trains running simultaneously. Ha anyone seen any good layouts that you can direct me too?

Thanks.
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2014 18:44:27(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hello Garben,
That's a fair size space, about 6' x 20' right? I think people need a little more definition on what your interests are in a layout before making recommendations. Do you want mainline runs w/long trains, switching and short trains or something else. What sort of geography would you like the trains to run through, city or country, mountains or plains or some combination. Also most importantly are you planning on going analog or digital.

There are some books out there on layout planning and whether you want to model US or European RR's would have a bearing on what books would be most appropriate.

Regards
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline BrandonVA  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2014 18:47:04(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hi,

You may be able to get some ideas from some of the Marklin magazine track plans for the past few years. There are many, some big, some small.

http://www.maerklin.de/mm/gleisplan_downloads.php

-Brandon
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline petestra  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2014 22:37:20(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi and welcome to the forum. The Märklin layout download page that Brandon just sent you is excellent.

Personally, I really love the layout with the terminal station from the magazin issue 5/2013.

In my opinion it offers the best of everything. Yes, it has a terminal station but it will allow for

2 or 3 trains running with signal control without them entering the terminal if you want continuous

running. Check it out. I think it's super. Good Luck and have fun. Peter Smile

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline garben  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2014 01:57:39(UTC)
garben

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

You may be able to get some ideas from some of the Marklin magazine track plans for the past few years. There are many, some big, some small.

http://www.maerklin.de/mm/gleisplan_downloads.php

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon, I actually found a layout that I like in the Marklin archives your recommended. I like the layout from 4-2012.

The layout is 400cm long and I have 487, almost 3 feet more. Would anyone have suggestions to lengthening the layout to utilize the extra room? I do not have any track planning software and beside geometry wasn't my strong point in school.

Thanks so much.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by garben
Offline funchi  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2014 10:02:01(UTC)
funchi

Italy   
download this booklet, maybe u find anything u like
http://www.mediafire.com/view/k...ple%20from%20Marklin.pdf

personally i suggest u the number 5 and 6 to be created on the same table, u would create 2 circuit and cover up most of the space, or number 7 is also not bad, but u would have nearly 1 meter of space empty

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by funchi
Offline BrandonVA  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2014 15:46:05(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: garben Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Brandon, I actually found a layout that I like in the Marklin archives your recommended. I like the layout from 4-2012.

The layout is 400cm long and I have 487, almost 3 feet more. Would anyone have suggestions to lengthening the layout to utilize the extra room? I do not have any track planning software and beside geometry wasn't my strong point in school.

Thanks so much.

I would consider extending the branch line that runs along the top and adding a terminus station that would allow the loco to switch ends of the train and run back down the branch line in reverse. Otherwise, you could look at adding a larger freight terminus as an extension to your station. Or perhaps both :) These are things that would make you happy if you like to shunt trains.

If you prefer watching the trains run in a continuous loop, you could also extend the entrance to the shadow station at "D" and then expose part of it, trains going in and out of a tunnel. You could also add a reverse loop to the branch line for similar results.

If you'd like a locomotive service area, you could add a decent size area with a turntable including all the facilities (maint shops, Diesel fueling and service, coaling, watering, sanding, cinder removal, etc), or if you are into electrics an area with a transfer table and service shops.

Another alternative if you don't want to alter the track plan would be to build up a large town with lots of structures, possibly a tram or faller car system to add some motion. This would work if modeling suites you. A variation of these theme could be something else, a medieval town surrounded by a wall, etc. You could also make it an industrial setting....a large mining operation with a narrow gauge railway.

One other thought would be to "center" your railroad and allow the free space to be on each side, giving you about 1.5 feet on either end. You could built out a freight terminus on one end, a village on the other, a mine on one end, village on the other, etc.

-Brandon
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline ac jacko  
#8 Posted : 16 December 2014 02:07:15(UTC)
ac jacko

Sorry to jump in on Garben post on this one but I am up for suggestions as well. As now back home and with with now limited space of only approx 2.7 m long and 1.7 wide, looking for design for 3 lines going continuously and station area/shunting area and turntable with mountain aspects with tunnels and bridges etc. The lower staging area below the main will house the locos and carriages etc and being all steam no catenary is required

I had grand plans but with limited options and just wanting to get back into the hobby again, this is the way forward and I hope someone has come across a few

cheers
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 16 December 2014 11:23:25(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 17 December 2014 12:19:19(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
German MRR trackplan archive:

http://www.moba-trickkis...tenbank-gleisplaene.html

Maßstab = scale: select HO
Größe = surface: select desired size

Good luck!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline ac jacko  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2015 12:29:13(UTC)
ac jacko

Thank you ;)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ac jacko
Offline Will  
#12 Posted : 30 March 2015 02:20:13(UTC)
Will

United States   
Looking for ideas for my own layout. Very helpful info and links here. Thanks!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Will